Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler and Andy Wilson hint at behind the scenes restructure of Super League

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

......In this weeks SL Backchat programme. 

There is a clear point made by Andy Wilson and Martyn Sadler in the first few minutes of the programme, hinting at a restructure headed by Brian Barwick for the 2015 season, wonder what they have up their sleeves.

http://www1.skysport...back-chat-ep-12

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

"Fewer clubs taking more of the broadcasting money"?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I took it as "two tens" coming in?

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,640 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

I saw it. When Stevo said "Superleague isn't working" , my immediate thought was that he had been prompted to say that in the pre-broadcast production meeting.

Sky calls the tune and we'll get a structure that Sky wants.

This may not be a bad thing because Sky has lost a lot of its rugby union coverage to BT ... freeing up cash and airtime.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'm not so sure Wolford, I don't think anyone can tell Stevo what to say and expect him to say it if he doesn't agree. Maybe Martyn could comment on some of the things he's heard /read for those of us out of the loop (unless he's gagged in some way?)

#6 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

It's been on the agenda for months and the top teams along with sky will get what they want. Some S/L clubs find it hard now they would be in alot of trouble if they don't do what sky want

#7 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Just to clarify this, the Super League clubs meet next Wednesday and there will be a presentation to them discussing a range of options.

But this isn't being driven by Sky, although it's worth bearing in mind that the Sky contract does specify a minimum of 12 clubs and 24 weeks of competition, so the ten-team scenario seems highly unlikely.

In my view the Super League clubs would be remarkably stupid to reduce the size of the competition. In doing so they would not be addressing the main issue which, as I said on the programme, is the game's apparent inability to generate commercial income. Reducing the footprint of the competition would only make that job even harder.

#8 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

It will be interesting how they choose the 10 Clubs in SL1.

I for one won't be happy if we miss out!

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Martyn, I'll look forward to hearing the results of meeting. I think we all know that something is going wrong commercially with the sport (and most of us have many differing suggestions of what is wrong), how to fix it though is a different matter all together. 

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

it's worth bearing in mind that the Sky contract does specify a minimum of 12 clubs and 24 weeks of competition, so the ten-team scenario seems highly unlikely.

Thanks for this info.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

So Canetman wrong again - no surprise there.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

It will be interesting how they choose the 10 Clubs in SL1.

I for one won't be happy if we miss out!

That's the flaw in the 10 Clubs in SL1 plan, everyone is ok with it...

... as long as they are in SL1 competition.

In my opinion, at the moment, I think only Castleford fans are aware they might face the chop. But fans of the other 13 clubs would be adamant - with good reason - why they MUST be in SL1.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just to clarify this, the Super League clubs meet next Wednesday and there will be a presentation to them discussing a range of options.

But this isn't being driven by Sky, although it's worth bearing in mind that the Sky contract does specify a minimum of 12 clubs and 24 weeks of competition, so the ten-team scenario seems highly unlikely.

In my view the Super League clubs would be remarkably stupid to reduce the size of the competition. In doing so they would not be addressing the main issue which, as I said on the programme, is the game's apparent inability to generate commercial income. Reducing the footprint of the competition would only make that job even harder.

Any chance you can clarify whether that minimum of 12 clubs specifies a required geographic spread?

Thanks

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thank you, so I assume the smart money is on 12 clubs.

However Hudgell predicted this long ago.

His version was with "central funding for London".

#15 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I wonder what chance a ten team superleague and an additional competition to fill the TV schedule gaps... Expanded WCC maybe?..  9's comp?.. Exiles series?..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#16 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

The clubs have lost focus on the main thing that can drive clubs forward: Marketing. Changing to two tiers 11, 12 14 or 16 with French, Welsh clubs won't make one smidgen of difference if clubs don't market themselves properly. After the so called boom of SL the clubs and the game didn't move forward and things get forgotten. Wasn't Waite suppose to set up a coching programme to have an ever growing list of English coaches? IN the time since we have seen Edwards, Farrell and Ford to name a few gobbled up by RU. If we through aguess as to howmany in SL were properly marketed to the hilt I'd say no more than 4. I'm not saying clubs aren't marketing I mean to their full potential.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,693 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

What year does the current contract run to?

#18 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

I wonder what chance a ten team superleague and an additional competition to fill the TV schedule gaps... Expanded WCC maybe?.. 9's comp?.. Exiles series?..

Apparently one of the ideas muted could only have come from an accountant, what ever that means.

Edited by a.n Other, 24 April 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#19 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the additional info, id be interested to hear what Brian Barwick presents in his first press conference.

#20 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone know who will make the final decision (RFL or/and S/L) and if its a vote of some kind will all clubs get a vote or will it just be the S/L clubs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users