Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler and Andy Wilson hint at behind the scenes restructure of Super League

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

Read John's post about Swintons crowds when they were successful in the 60's, Read your own admission top 60's club Swinton could only manage 6,000, and read John's comments that Superleague clubs in the modern age can and have averaged 15,000.

Or 14,000 like Hull or 17,000 Like Leeds have done......
Or 16,000 like Wigan have averaged in todays era....
Or 14,000 saints got last year as an average.

The quote was "SL clubs ARE averaging 15,000" i.e present tense referring to the here and now. There has been a dramatic decline in SL attendances this season and no club  ARE averaging 15,000 at present.

What you are defending is the equivalent om me saying Keighley are averaging 4,500 based on their attendances from the Cougarmania days when the reality today is something different. O know you love SL like life itself but really, 15,000 average. Even the examples  you have quoted in defence of your position in post # 200 only stack up to one 15,000 average.

You are making a non issue out of indefensible statistics.

#202 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,309 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Bradford are certainly not averaging 15,000. They will be lucky if they are averaging 10,000. They only got 12 last night for their big derby with Leeds which used to be a 20,000 crowd fixture. I don't see Wigan averaging 15,000 either. they only got 12,000 last night also. Leeds are doing better than those two but I think a 15,000 average has not been achieved

So at just the halfway point in the main season,  some hope that Wigan won't reach a  15,000 average , whilst others think that with six main season home games to go, the might just make it. I guess its a question of attitude really.

#203 TheObserver

TheObserver
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

1. I've seen that again and again, but never reasoned out. Do these players get Rugby Union or NRL level salaries whilst their team mates get ordinary money? Would they be resented? Who would these players be?? Does Tomkins and other top stars refuse a move to a bigger stage to earn the same money staying in Superleague? The assumption is that they go only for the money and will therefore stay for the same money? Will they? Don't they also have ambition for stardom, the International stage and travel? Which clubs can and will afford heavily overpaid top players and which clubs can't/won't?

Marquee player allowances have worked well in other sports. The marquee player has been a stunning success in Australia's A League soccer competition.

Alessandro Del Piero claims hat-trick of awards

Del Piero has had a massive influence since joining the Sky Blues at the start of the season on a deal reported to be worth $2 million a season.

His presence helped increase pay-TV ratings for the A-League and saw Sydney FC markedly increase its membership sales as well as improve match attendances. The club averaged 18,637 at its home matches while he also helped boost the gates at every away game.

A-League poised for influx of stars: Gallop

The arrivals of Alessandro Del Piero, Shinji Ono and Emile Heskey have drawn the eyes of more than 2.8 million viewers this season as well as millions more from abroad that has amplified the competition's profile. <snipped>

(FFA chief executive David) Gallop has hailed the quality of football and the vibrant atmosphere created by the two sets of fans as an attractive advertisement for the A-League that could lure more international stars to Australian shores.

''Certainly the marquee players have been part of the success story this season. The fact is that they came with big reputations and lived up to those reputations by the way they played on the pitch,'' Gallop said. ''The game was broadcast internationally wider than ever before. That's an enormous opportunity to showcase our competition and could see more marquee players taking an interest in playing in our competition.''

Australian Rugby Union only recently established a salary cap for its 5 Super Rugby franchises, but tops up the top 30 players in Australia with central contracts. Israel Folau was drawn to Union and the NSW Waratahs, beating out the NRL's Parramatta Eels, purportedly with a $250k payment under the Waratahs salary cap and a $400k central contract from the ARU: $650,000 in total. Folau is in the running to be named on the wing for the Wallabies after 10 games of Union at a senior level.

New Waratah Israel Folau already luring fans

THE NSW Waratahs have already experienced a spike in membership sales since announcing Israel Folau's signing last Tuesday. As The Sunday Telegraph exclusively revealed last weekend, Folau's rugby union deal was partially designed to boost ailing crowds and increase NSW memberships.

Edited by TheObserver, 05 May 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#204 TheObserver

TheObserver
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

In the NRL, Sonny Bill Williams has had a marquee player style impact on the Roosters and the NRL as a whole, creating a large amount of hype and buzz on both.

SBW bringing in the big bucks for Sydney Roosters in 2013

THE Roosters may not have been crowing after their opening round loss to South Sydney, but the club's commercial chief Ted Helliar is laughing all the way to the bank. The game attracted a record gate and drew record TV ratings, something Helliar put down almost solely to the return of Sonny Bill Williams.

When asked to assess the value of Williams' return to the sport where he made his name, Helliar said “At this stage I can't put a dollar figure to it, but, you talk about game-wide, it is millions and millions and millions of dollars. We had a record round-one Sydney gate and record TV ratings - that is all off the back of the Sonny Bill factor[/b[. Our membership numbers are up 25% and that has definitely been Sonny. We have budgeted vast increases right across the board. We are looking at a record gate taking across the year. We were budgeting for a record membership and we hit targets before a ball was even kicked. I've been quoted as saying he is like the David Beckham of the Southern Hemisphere. He has got it all in terms of looks and physique and talent and personality.

SBW has been the focus in print advertising.
Sonny billboard a provocative promotion in Dogs territory

Roosters chief operating officer commercial, Ted Helliar, said the move to put up a billboard on Canterbury Road was simply to remind some Bulldogs fans when the match was taking place. But he acknowledged that it was also designed to increase the hype.
“We're not pushing the boundaries too much”, Helliar said. “Sonny's a big enough drawcard himself, but we want to create some talk about the game. It's hard enough to get bums on seats; why wouldn't you have a crack at doing something that way? It's one of those games where, whether you're a Dragons fan or a Rabbitohs fan, you might want to come to the game because of the interest in it all”.

Helliar also added the club put billboards up in the South Sydney district before the round-one clash with the Roosters' traditional rivals. Far from being angered by the provocative move, Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg, who met with Roosters officials to discuss promotional activities as well as security arrangements before the match applauded the Roosters' initiative.
I think it's great, Greenberg said. [b]It highlights that we work in the entertainment industry, and there's no doubt that he's a significant attraction. Those sorts of things; we should be doing more of them.

SBW's also been the star of his own FTA TV commercial designed to launch the NRL competition, with the look, aesthetic and scope almost in the realm of Nine's TV series.

SBW - OMG

While the NRL already allows a marquee player allowance of $300,000 per NRL club, a number of people have called for a dedicated player outside the cap:

Phil Rothfield: The NRL needs to allow one salary cap exempt player per club

In the latest Big League magazine, Broncos CEO Paul White and RLPA CEO David Garnsey both discussed the merits of allowing marquee players.

Edited by TheObserver, 05 May 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#205 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

The quote was "SL clubs ARE averaging 15,000" i.e present tense referring to the here and now.

You are making a non issue out of indefensible statistics.

John said "As a regular at Station Road last century, we'd have been happy with any of those Championship crowds when the Lions won back-to-back top division championships. Now the top SL clubs are averaging 15,000 or more. Dying game, though.

There is nothing in the post to indicate John meant this season so far.

If someone speaks of the 1960's and compares that to today I suspect he doesn't mean sunday 5th. May 2013.

I suspect he is comparing eras i.e. the 1960's and the modern SL era.

In using the word "century" it reinforced my understanding he meant different era's

Then again I could be wrong so OVER TO YOU JOHN M. JUST WHAT DID YOU MEAN?

Edited by The Parksider, 05 May 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#206 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

The quote was "SL clubs ARE averaging 15,000" i.e present tense referring to the here and now. There has been a dramatic decline in SL attendances this season and no club  ARE averaging 15,000 at present.

Just to be clear, Wigan are averaging a mean of 14,885 which unless you are being extremely pedantic most people would normally accept rounding to 15,000. And if you want to be extremely pedantic then Leeds currently has a median average of 15,059.

#207 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Just to be clear, Wigan are averaging a mean of 14,885 which unless you are being extremely pedantic most people would normally accept rounding to 15,000. And if you want to be extremely pedantic then Leeds currently has a median average of 15,059.

Thank you for your help on this vital question.

thanks also to Ackroman for his assistance in the matter.

John where are you?

#208 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

It's ironic that people are trying to find new ways to allow clubs to spend money they don't have at the very time that the RFL are trying to reduce SL to boost club's incomes to stop them going bust. Talk about head-in-the-sand.