Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler and Andy Wilson hint at behind the scenes restructure of Super League

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#101 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

"The RFL are not about to introduce new clubs into SL areas."

But by introducing a second tier to the competition, that is exactly what Super League would be doing. Not that it would do such a thing, but could you imagine the NRL introducing a second tier, made up of Sydney clubs, and then re-directing funding from existing NRL clubs to this second-tier?

Are there not plans to do exactly that with the North Sydney bears at Gosford?

#102 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

Your club is as myopic as any other,  when they were throwing £thousands at buying promotion, how many £thousands did they throw to other clubs to help them join your three wheeled bandwagon.

The Cougars are as mercenary as all other clubs, sod off with your holey than thou  claptrap.

I think that post is the very definition of myopic not to mention parochial and small minded.

#103 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think that post is the very definition of myopic not to mention parochial and small minded.

Dude, please don't forget that he's a wise old sage of this board, and as such is permitted to post any old drivel and we should take it as received wisdom

#104 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

But he'll get away with it because he is part of the click on this forum.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#105 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

:lol:

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#106 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

a few of us were discussing this via PMs earlier..... :O

#107 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

..and we all agreed that the rhubarb triangle flat-earth CLIQUE does exist!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#108 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

..and we all agreed that the rhubarb triangle flat-earth CLIQUE does exist!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I see you are easily pleased but there again any who thinks the RFL are doing a great job is easily pleased. OK Padge got away with it so I will have a try, SOD OFF with your I'm all right jack claptrap.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#109 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Somehow, it just doesn't carry the same authority when written with a Yorkshire accent. :P

#110 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

There's been that much thread drift that I have no idea what this thread is about anymore!
Posted Image

#111 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Somehow, it just doesn't carry the same authority when written with a Yorkshire accent. :P

Can't be assed to argue with thi my owd cocker. Offt to big fellas to watch to reet honest RL clubs slug it art. Will be a reet game and thel be more fans there than at London n Salford

#112 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Oh dear.  After a Sunday morning meeting of the TRL clique, we spent two hours doing the obligatory grumbling about the state of the world, RL, referees, gurning managers and why RL internationals are so poorly attended while giving our excuses for not attending the next 10 years worth of them.  Once done, we covered the subjects above and came to the following conclusions:

- telling someone to sod off isn't exactly serious abuse and is borderline acceptable, depending on context.  It's the subjective opinion of the TRL moderating clique if we decide that it's not acceptable on an individual basis.

- just because someone doesn't agree with you and others agree with them doesn't make a clique, conspiracy theories are generally just that.  There's a reason why forums work, it's usually because like-minded individuals decide to hang around.  They don't have to agree all the time and can have some pretty serious disagreements but generally it's like real life; it'd be boring to agree with everyone on everything.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#113 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Oh dear. After a Sunday morning meeting of the TRL clique, we spent two hours doing the obligatory grumbling about the state of the world, RL, referees, gurning managers and why RL internationals are so poorly attended while giving our excuses for not attending the next 10 years worth of them. Once done, we covered the subjects above and came to the following conclusions:

- telling someone to sod off isn't exactly serious abuse and is borderline acceptable, depending on context. It's the subjective opinion of the TRL moderating clique if we decide that it's not acceptable on an individual basis.
- just because someone doesn't agree with you and others agree with them doesn't make a clique, conspiracy theories are generally just that. There's a reason why forums work, it's usually because like-minded individuals decide to hang around. They don't have to agree all the time and can have some pretty serious disagreements but generally it's like real life; it'd be boring to agree with everyone on everything.

Well said, but by agreeing with you does that make me part of "the clique"?

I think it's time some people stopped being so precious and just continue to argue their point if they think it's good enough. None of this sidetracking.

Now can someone tell me where we bloody are in this topic?!
Posted Image

#114 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well said, but by agreeing with you does that make me part of "the clique"?

I think it's time some people stopped being so precious and just continue to argue their point if they think it's good enough. None of this sidetracking.

Now can someone tell me where we bloody are in this topic?!

I think we are at the point where the irresistable force of the "Let's downsize so we can get more of the pie for the top echelon" clique meets the immoveable object of the " Lets make operating a SL club less expensive by reducing wage expenses so that more teams can be stable and maybe just maybe we can expand the game a little" clique.

This is in answer to the original post which was about re organization of the game rumours emanating from Martyn Sadler and Andy Wilson.

Of course everybody thinks they are right  and this is just a message board and nothing can be done by us all. Suggestions to have some kind of revenue sharing as practiced by the very successful American sports leagues have met with ridicule and abuse from a supporter of one of the teams who would have to give a little for the greater good. No surprise there then.

#115 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I think we are at the point where the irresistable force of the "Let's downsize so we can get more of the pie for the top echelon" clique meets the immoveable object of the " Lets make operating a SL club less expensive by reducing wage expenses so that more teams can be stable and maybe just maybe we can expand the game a little" clique.

This is in answer to the original post which was about re organization of the game rumours emanating from Martyn Sadler and Andy Wilson.

Of course everybody thinks they are right  and this is just a message board and nothing can be done by us all. Suggestions to have some kind of revenue sharing as practiced by the very successful American sports leagues have met with ridicule and abuse from a supporter of one of the teams who would have to give a little for the greater good. No surprise there then.

Trouble with the bit in bold is that the game in England is going to lose its best players. The discussion on Sky alluded to the fact when there was speculation about a whole England squad being based in the NRL before too long. While that would probably be good for the England team it doesn't do much for the selling of Super League in its own market.

There is a league competition for those clubs that want a lower operating budget, and that is the Championship.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#116 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I think we are at the point where the irresistable force of the "Let's downsize so we can get more of the pie for the top echelon" clique meets the immoveable object of the " Lets make operating a SL club less expensive by reducing wage expenses so that more teams can be stable and maybe just maybe we can expand the game a little" clique.

Of course everybody thinks they are right and this is just a message board and nothing can be done by us all. Suggestions to have some kind of revenue sharing as practiced by the very successful American sports leagues have met with ridicule and abuse from a supporter of one of the teams who would have to give a little for the greater good. No surprise there then.

I certainly disagree with anyone that thinks that's the way forward.
Posted Image

#117 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Trouble with the bit in bold is that the game in England is going to lose its best players. The discussion on Sky alluded to the fact when there was speculation about a whole England squad being based in the NRL before too long. While that would probably be good for the England team it doesn't do much for the selling of Super League in its own market.

There is a league competition for those clubs that want a lower operating budget, and that is the Championship.

The argument goes that the game is going to lose it's best players anyway.

If clubs then simply raised the wages of existing pro players, and brought in players on pro-contracts that could not get a pro-contract before then the clubs would be creating a form of wage inflation.

I haven't a clue how many players will go in time, but there is something to be said for an adjustment of the cap down if the best players go in significant numbers.

Exactly what I dunno, but there's a fair principle in there.

As you intimate if the fans sense the best players have gone abroad, and crowds drop there's another reason to look at the cap.

Isn't the principle here that we cannot afford (due to the cap)to pay the wages that would keep the best players here unless we allowed anyone rich enough to break the cap considerably.

Then what - a two or three team uncompetitive league?

#118 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Re point one,obviously if they were in SL they would have a million plus to add to those figures so their turnover would be in the 2 million range, so not as bad as you are making out.

The turnover of Superleague clubs at the top end is £6,000,000 plus.

HKR on 8,000 gates could only compete to the "glass ceiling" by Mr. Hudgell putting half a million a year in.

A turnover of £2,000.000 won't buy the Halifax club the players they'll need, and the club then won't get the crowds.

There are cold hard monetary facts out there to back the argument, can we stick to them?

Edited by The Parksider, 28 April 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#119 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

I refuse to join my local Photographic Society, CAMRA, and Supporters Club because they are in my mind run by a clique, I'm hardly likely to become a member of one on here.

Anyone who thinks I am part of a clique on here is just proving themselves to be a complete numpty without an argument other than 'you would say that wouldn't you'.

If that applies and it offends, tough.

I don't do cliques, of ANY kind.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#120 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

3700 at Fev today. I think we should be part of the SL clique. Bearing in mind the absolute obsession on here of demographics what right have we to pull in such a good crowd for second rate RL?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users