Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler and Andy Wilson hint at behind the scenes restructure of Super League

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#161 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

IMHO Offering one player far more than his team mates becomes a complex issue, players trying to angle for that highest salary by threatening to leave through their agents would be very complex, and trying to work out who should get the big salary, the best up and coming player or the best acutual senior players who have achieved but may not be as effective in their later years?

I mean should the marquee player at leeds be watkins or hardaker?

Peacock or Sinfield?.

Pick one and the other three will not be very happy at all.....

A good solution would be a set salaries policy and the club stick to it to ensure fairness across the board. Which is what leeds do.

Exactly, it won't stop other players looking at union and the nrl for better deals. In fact it may increase it

#162 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

IMHO Offering one player far more than his team mates becomes a complex issue, players trying to angle for that highest salary by threatening to leave through their agents would be very complex, and trying to work out who should get the big salary, the best up and coming player or the best acutual senior players who have achieved but may not be as effective in their later years?

I mean should the marquee player at leeds be watkins or hardaker?

Peacock or Sinfield?.

Pick one and the other three will not be very happy at all.....

A good solution would be a set salaries policy and the club stick to it to ensure fairness across the board. Which is what leeds do.

one of those players will already be earning more than the others. or alternatively you could pay them all £200k each but only one wont count.

Its quite a simple concept. Just because you can pay one player twice or three times what others earn shouldnt necessarily mean you do.

I dont agree with the concept for other reasons but I dont understand the concerns you and a couple others have.

#163 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

True but when the 2 operators of the largest talent conveyor belts don't see it as a major issue then I'm inclined to trust their judgement.

It could be that the British game just can't compete with the NRL at this time, so why bother.

I can certainly see it benefiting the England team enormously. The top players leave for the NRL, they are replaced by up and coming players developed by the clubs - thus solving the problem that the youngsters sometimes don't get the breaks. In the meantime, England's squad members - potentially a whole squad according to Andy Wilson - develop even further in Australia, get to play against (and with) the best players in the world and the England team improves out of all recognition.

In the meantime, an England residents squad gets to play in Europe during the regular season.

The standard of Super League will suffer, though, along with the next offer from Sky.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#164 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

It could be that the British game just can't compete with the NRL at this time, so why bother.

I can certainly see it benefiting the England team enormously. The top players leave for the NRL, they are replaced by up and coming players developed by the clubs - thus solving the problem that the youngsters sometimes don't get the breaks. In the meantime, England's squad members - potentially a whole squad according to Andy Wilson - develop even further in Australia, get to play against (and with) the best players in the world and the England team improves out of all recognition.

In the meantime, an England residents squad gets to play in Europe during the regular season.

The standard of Super League will suffer, though, along with the next offer from Sky.

havent people said that every time a player went to Union?
The players in sl change all the time, players retire, go to uniin or whatever, as long as we have a comp followed by decent numbers watched by plenty, Sky will be interested in paying.

#165 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

The players in sl change all the time, players retire, go to uniin or whatever, as long as we have a comp followed by decent numbers watched by plenty, Sky will be interested in paying.

Some people almost certainly would have said that, but if Wilson is correct that almost the whole England squad will be in Australia in a year's time then that is quite a 'quality shock'; and one that may make Sky sit up and take notice. Still, interesting times.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#166 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

So in this situation, be it hypothetical mixed with rumour and a dash of truth, which of the two would get the marquee special boy sticker? If it's neither, what's to stop Hill angling for the bonus by touting his agent round, without wanting to leave... or even mid-contract? And again using Warrington as a basis, what if they want to split it between Myler, Ratchford and Currie?

I just think there are too many holes and divisive elements to a marquee player tag.

In the case quoted, if it was me, neither of them as I don't consider them worthy enough.

Using Wire as the example, I would have Briers as my marquee player and pay him whatever it takes to keep him going around again. I would then use whatever cap space was consequently freed up to put Hill, Ratchford and Myler on better deals. Then when Briers can no longer walk around a rugby field in a couple of years time, I would use the marquee allowance to try and sign Cronk from the NRL. Or I might give it to Hill.

Edited by foozler, 30 April 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#167 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

In the case quoted, if it was me, neither of them as I don't consider them worthy enough.

Using Wire as the example, I would have Briers as my marquee player and pay him whatever it takes to keep him going around again. I would then use whatever cap space was consequently freed up to put Hill, Ratchford and Myler on better deals. Then when Briers can no longer walk around a rugby field in a couple of years time, I would use the marquee allowance to try and sign Cronk from the NRL. Or I might give it to Hill.

Briers can't walk around a field now, his days have gone, he should be playing for pin money not marquee wages.

Edited by Padge, 30 April 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#168 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

I certainly disagree with anyone that thinks that's the way forward.

I'll put it another way: that approach is a surefire way BACKWARD and would kill the sport at the elite level

#169 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Parksider's argument against the marquee player rule has a lot of merit to it.

Perhaps we should just scrap the cap altogether (it's not like its fulfilled either of its stated aims) but retain something akin to the old 20-20 rule to stop clubs stockpiling players.

#170 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,479 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

I'll go with that.

SKY don't pay us the sum the viewing figures and the quality of competition and exciting sport justify.

Apparently they pay us just enough to run professionally so they can fill their summer schedule.

So if they just pay "a sum" for "a filler" why would they bother what happens as long as there's RL to show when RU and soccer aren't around.

#171 kapow

kapow
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

Widnes pulled in some great crowds for second rate RL. They got plenty of 3,000 plus attendances, probably because the fans saw the club was going places.

You'll need over twice that and more in Superleague.

The cliques are "Fantasy RL" where the small clubs will all grow through sheer hard work to be superleague clubs aided by SKY spending millions on our second tier, whilst we have "Reality RL" where the facts are faced.

And the fact is mr. Nahaboo is going to try to make you a Superleague club with his money, so by all means join us.....

Widnes has a population of 58k. Featherstone has a population of 15k.

In the modern world a town of 15k can't realistically support a competitive Super League club. The owner might want to put in money but we all know what will happen when that dries up.

#172 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,601 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

In the modern world a town of 15k can't realistically support a competitive Super League club. The owner might want to put in money but we all know what will happen when that dries up.

:O  You can't say that on here!!!   :O   ..as you'llsoon  find out!

#173 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

But there's not only featherstone to draw crowds from, there's pontefract, knottingley , ackworth, hemsworth etc.

#174 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

A crowd of 3700 last Sunday from a 15k population for second rate RL. Not a bad effort. How many have been attending games at hugely populated big city clubs, Salford and London recently? What will happen at those two clubs if their owners decide to pull the plug one day?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#175 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

A crowd of 3700 last Sunday from a 15k population for second rate RL. Not a bad effort. How many have been attending games at hugely populated big city clubs, Salford and London recently? What will happen at those two clubs if their owners decide to pull the plug one day?

you can't say that on here, as you'll soon find out.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#176 kapow

kapow
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

But there's not only featherstone to draw crowds from, there's pontefract, knottingley , ackworth, hemsworth etc.

And they already have two existing Super League clubs within 5 miles to compete with...

#177 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

A good crowd for a top game in a fairly competitive league. Well done, Fev & Fax.

The crowd figures for both Salford and London are published and available for your perusal both in the printed media and online. (Yes, their crowds are ######. Is that what you wanted to hear?)

Both clubs would struggle badly and might even fold.

Does that answer your (rhetorical?) questions?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#178 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,601 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

you can't say that on here, as you'll soon find out.

typical Fev fan. Second again.  :lol:

#179 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

A good crowd for a top game in a fairly competitive league. Well done, Fev & Fax.

The crowd figures for both Salford and London are published and available for your perusal both in the printed media and online. (Yes, their crowds are ######. Is that what you wanted to hear?)

Both clubs would struggle badly and might even fold.

Does that answer your (rhetorical?) questions?

I'm not having a go at either Salford or London, please don't think that I am. I was merely responding to yet another attempt to rubbish the potential of my club joining SL simply because of where the ground just happens to be situated. It's not about the population, its about the level of enthusiasm for the game in any given area. Good luck to Salford and I'm sure they have a very bright future.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#180 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'm not having a go at either Salford or London, please don't think that I am. I was merely responding to yet another attempt to rubbish the potential of my club joining SL simply because of where the ground just happens to be situated. It's not about the population, its about the level of enthusiasm for the game in any given area. Good luck to Salford and I'm sure they have a very bright future.

That's okay, Terry. No problem. My post was a bit ott, to be honest. I'm just a bit fed up with people having a go at our crowds. As if we aren't aware of the problems!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users