40th year anniversary of the closing of Parkside

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

On the 21st April 1973 Hunslet played York in the last ever game at Parkside. Geoff Gunney was the last player to leave the pitch after Hunslet lost 5 -22. Thankfully, the club reformed under the 'New Hunslet' name and, driven on by, directors, fans and players such as Geoff Gunney, continues to play to this day.   

To commemorate this 40th Anniversary, this Sunday (28th April), Hunslet Hawks will again take on York City Knights, and players from both clubs who played in that last ever game at Parkside will be in attendance.

Joining the fans on Sunday will be many of the players who played in that 1973-4 season as well as several older players.

From York come, Full back, Keith Gullen; wingers, Clive Hill and Steve Quinn; centre, Dave Rippon; half-back combination, Gary Smith and Tony Sullivan; hooker, Ian Payne; forwards, Colin Forsyth, Charlie Hillman and Danny Sheehan. Also joining us will be the 2 York subs, Brian Meillam and Peter Cookland, along with kitman, Jeff Whitaker.

For Hunslet, we are proud to welcome back Geoff Gunney, who played full-back that day. Joining him will be, George Clark, the winger; Peter Rycroft and Phil Horrocks, the Hunslet half-backs; Ron Dobson, the number 8 will be joined by numbers 10, 11, 12 and 13 Billy Adams, Kenny Sykes, Alan Griffiths and Phil Sanderson. Super-sub Tommy Taylor completes the Hunslet line-up.  

The players will be introduced to the fans at half-time and we know that all fans of Hunslet and York will want to come along to this special occasion and introduce their children to the greats of yesteryear.  Admission is only £3 for children, £8 for concessions and £16 for adults. Superleague season ticket holders can show their season ticket in the club office to get admission for half price, as can Leeds University students, on production of their Student Card. Kick Off is 3pm at the South Leeds Stadium.

Come along for a great afternoon of rugby league and to relive past memories with the former players. 

1973-Dewsbury-rd-end.jpg

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#2 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Blackpool you have a way with words-- after listing the players who played in that game, you add that several older players will be there. The ones that played that day will be at least 60.  I was there.

I believe that Hunslet were the last club that York played on their Clarence Street ground, and I also believe that York were the last club we played at the Greyhound stadium..

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

#3 biggalouigi

biggalouigi
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

great ground , great picture, makes you just love the hunslet hawks.

#4 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Blackpool you have a way with words-- after listing the players who played in that game, you add that several older players will be there. The ones that played that day will be at least 60.  I was there.
I believe that Hunslet were the last club that York played on their Clarence Street ground, and I also believe that York were the last club we played at the Greyhound stadium..

Your right about York playing Hunslet in the last ever game at Clarence Street F.F,

#5 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Why thank you Barry, and yes we played York in the last ever game at the Greyhound Stadium too:

1980 20th April Div 1 Championship

Hunslet 29 York 6

T Marsden x 2, Smith x 2, Lane, King, G Parrish x 5 DG Dean

Att 1200

Referee K Allot

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#6 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Why thank you Barry, and yes we played York in the last ever game at the Greyhound Stadium too:

1980 20th April Div 1 Championship

Hunslet 29 York 6

T Marsden x 2, Smith x 2, Lane, King, G Parrish x 5 DG Dean

Att 1200

Referee K Allot

Ian Marsden had his leg amputated after an accident at work I believe. Always haunted me as a kid. Stuart Smith. Steve Lane. Kingy. Mick Parrish. Tony Dean. Ref Kevin Allott.

I remember more from when I was 7 than I do now.

Looking forward to seeing Alan Griffiths on Sunday. He looked old 30 years ago!

Edited by Penola, 26 April 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#7 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

Great idea this and well done to both clubs for managing to get so many of the players from that day together. One notable absentee is Steve Barron, who was the other centre for us and went on to play for New Hunslet for many years. I think he used to live somewhere up near the Peggy Tub, but of course it was many years ago.

My turn for some Hunslet-York pointless trivia ...

We did play York in the last game at Clarence Street in March 1989, but unlike the last game at Parkside, we were generous enough to let the hosts win! Though we did score the last ever try there (Shaun Wilkinson) and goal (surprisingly, Warren Wilson) ...

The last time Hunslet played out a 0-0 draw was in a game v. York. It was a league fixture at Clarence Street on Christmas Day 1946 ...

... the life and soul of any party me you know  ;)  ...

Edited by Hawkwindbag, 26 April 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#8 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Most memorable things from my visits to Clarence Street (always knew it as Wiggington Road) - Mick Bell's "ding-dong" try and that weird sounding hooter they had

#9 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Most memorable things from my visits to Clarence Street (always knew it as Wiggington Road) - Mick Bell's "ding-dong" try and that weird sounding hooter they had

Brilliant try. Several York players left scratching their heads, wondering where he had gone. Wish I had it on tape!

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#10 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I was at that last match at Parkside, a terrible shame how one of the best grounds in RL had been allowed to get into a poor state, in its heyday early sixties after the new stand was built could easily accomadate 20-25 thousand and the training pitch at the side was the best in RL plus it had the biggest car park  in the entire league.York,s ground was as far as i can remember a picturesque little ground with a seated stand at one side and a stand opposite.It had 2 fairly small open ends one with a scoreboard with trees at the back of it.A really nice ground with 2 names - Clarence Street and Wigginton Road.

As a footnote 2 of the players who played for York in that last game at Parkside also played for us as New Hunslet next season at the Greyhound Stadium, can you name them ?

Posted Image

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

York City Knights are as ready as they can be for Sunday’s big trip to close rivals Hunslet Hawks in the Kingstone Press Championship, insists Gary Thornton...

Really looking forward to it fellas!

:D

Posted Image

#12 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I was at that last match at Parkside, a terrible shame how one of the best grounds in RL had been allowed to get into a poor state, in its heyday early sixties after the new stand was built could easily accomadate 20-25 thousand and the training pitch at the side was the best in RL plus it had the biggest car park  in the entire league.York,s ground was as far as i can remember a picturesque little ground with a seated stand at one side and a stand opposite.It had 2 fairly small open ends one with a scoreboard with trees at the back of it.A really nice ground with 2 names - Clarence Street and Wigginton Road.

As a footnote 2 of the players who played for York in that last game at Parkside also played for us as New Hunslet next season at the Greyhound Stadium, can you name them ?

I was there too - probably on that photo at the top in fact !!

Parkside did have a big car park but not many went by car - or even owned one back then !!

I did like Clarence Street/Wiggington Road, of all the "lost" grounds perhaps it comes behind only Swinton's Station Road as my favourite. When the ball came out to the wingers it almost felt like you reach out and tackle them yourself. Not many grounds left that are still like that ... Keighley, Batley, Whitehaven ... maybe Barrow and Featherstone to a lesser extent.

Mick Major and Ian Payne from the York team that day went on to play for New Hunslet.

#13 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Some more images of Parkside including ones from our last ever game vs York on our facebook page https://www.facebook.../HunsletHawksRL

936326_10151402846739103_897283955_n.jpg

#14 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Probably the greatest rugby shirt ever (closely followed by this season's).

I never went to Parkside but remember a few of the names from the Greyhound stadium.  Looking forward to seeing some of my first ever heroes on Sunday.

Blackpool, will you be getting them down to the Phoenix after the match?

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#15 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

I thought the greatest rugby league shirt was The Chocolate and white one , that we played in the 1960s  ,as it is different to any other, and just looked great.

I had the Myrtle white and flame one given to me from George Clark , who was a friend of my dad's from his works.  It was miles too big, as I was only a little kid then, It looked more like a dressing gown on me, still would have prefered the Chocolate and white one though.

#16 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

That photo just shows you how Parkside had been left to neglect, the large seated stand had been burned down so we had an open long side, the perimeter fence was all over the place and the grass on the once perfect playing surface looked like it had never been cut, a sad sad day.You are quite correct Hawkwind, Mick Major and Ian Payne are the 2 players.

Posted Image

#17 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

I understand Hunslet fall from grace was due partly due to the mass houses being knocked down around the area. But were these directors in charge at the time to blame for ceasing the existence of the great club?
To me it seems criminal they could just sell the ground off & say that's it the club ceases to exist, did these directors walk away with big fat cheques?

#18 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

A guy called Inman was the chief culprit mate, luckily he didnt last long to spend his ill forgotten gains, they could have sold the training ground or part of the large car park but no the greedy bar stewards went and sold the lot and bulldozed it within a few days before anyone could save it. my late Dad was heartbroken and so was i.

Posted Image

#19 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

You are right in what you say KOL-- Parkside was sold for £300,000- the money being divided between the shareholders. There were promises , which came to nothing about a new ground somewhere near the top of Belle Isle Road  - £50,000 was set aside for the developement of sport in South Leeds --see seperate topic on this Forum..

My most vivid memory of Clarence Street is a bad injury to our stand off Bob Gaitley after he was tackled (pushed) into the metal fence which surrounded the ground.

Hope we are going to do something to mark the 40th anniversary of our present club. August 1973 saw us play our first game away to Keighley , followed by the first home game v Huyton at the Greyhound Stadium., attendance 3,500.

The first try scorer for our new club was Kenny Sykes one of the ex players who will be present on Sunday.

Finally our connection with Leeds RLFC was happening then, our first coach was former Leeds loose forward Fred Pickup, followed a few years later by David Ward.l

#20 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Dont forget Bill Ramsey and Drew Broatch who coached us and played for both clubs FF.I thought Inman and his cronies got well over 400k for Parkdide an absolute fortune in them days.We owe a massive debt of gratitude to Jerry Mason, Ronnie Teeman, Gordon Murray and of course Geoff Gunney the men who saved Hunslet RLFC.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users