Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

40th year anniversary of the closing of Parkside

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Cheers, it seems like these guys were crooks who got away with it.

#22 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,800 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Another York lad who played for you was called Steve Blake, think it was late 60s early 70s, he later signed for York.

#23 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

yes he did john, a few more i remember playing for both clubs, Mick Hughes, Richard ( Dick) Wallace, a 2nd rower called Payne whose 1st name ive forgot( as well as the hooker Payne ), and the legendary Jeff Stevenson and Fred Ward.We even had Brendan White play a few games on loan , whilst you had David Brook and George Rayner in recent times plus Tim Sharp.

Posted Image

#24 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

yes he did john, a few more i remember playing for both clubs, Mick Hughes, Richard ( Dick) Wallace, a 2nd rower called Payne whose 1st name ive forgot( as well as the hooker Payne ), and the legendary Jeff Stevenson and Fred Ward.We even had Brendan White play a few games on loan , whilst you had David Brook and George Rayner in recent times plus Tim Sharp.

Ian Payne?

#25 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

no payne was the hooker, this lad was a 2nd row about 1971-72.

Posted Image

#26 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,800 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Eric Payne is the lad your thinking of Steve, once saw him go over the try line at Fev and kick the ball out of his own hands trying to put it down. :rolleyes:

#27 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thats him john its been buggin me all morning, ill look out for you in the Phoenix Bar after the game.
Posted Image

#28 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Barry Banks another one
Posted Image

#29 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,800 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Thats him john its been buggin me all morning, ill look out for you in the Phoenix Bar after the game.

Wont be in the bar after the game Steve but will be in before.

#30 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

A guy called Inman was the chief culprit mate, luckily he didnt last long to spend his ill forgotten gains, they could have sold the training ground or part of the large car park but no the greedy bar stewards went and sold the lot and bulldozed it within a few days before anyone could save it. my late Dad was heartbroken and so was i.

Totally agree. I worked there as  programme seller in the final season - got thrown in the bath with all my clthes on after the final training session. I lived a stonesthrow from the ground and it was heartbreaking to see.

#31 Alex Murray

Alex Murray
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Dont forget Bill Ramsey and Drew Broatch who coached us and played for both clubs FF.I thought Inman and his cronies got well over 400k for Parkdide an absolute fortune in them days.We owe a massive debt of gratitude to Jerry Mason, Ronnie Teeman, Gordon Murray and of course Geoff Gunney the men who saved Hunslet RLFC.

Thank you for remembering what the Directors did along with the fans and players for New Hunslet to be created. My Dad, Gordon Murray, is still alive and will be 89 this year. He still lives in in Cape Town. Sorry to read about the loss of your own Dad. Thanks again for the kind comment.

#32 Lapu Lapu Hun

Lapu Lapu Hun
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

In my younger days I went to every rugby league ground between 1949 and 1975 and the strangest experience was going to watch Hunslet play Huyton at Huyton. I couldn't find the ground so I went to a police station for directions. On making my enquiry the first thing they asked was "Am you mad, it's a dangerous area?". They decided the easy way was to have me follow a police car to the ground and told me to stay in my car once there until the police got the gates opened. Once inside the actual ground the police commented that at least I would have a car to go home in once the game finished. Evidently some time previously the police went to the ground to investigate a break in and when they came out the police car had been stolen !  

The easiest trip to a ground for me was the 1965 Challenge Cup Final in 1965. I was in the RAF stationed at RAF Halton near Aylesbury and I got my parents to meet me there. We went down to Wembley on the tube travelling in the opposite direction to virtually every other fan and after the game went back to Aylesbury. Our platform was empty but the going into London platform was almost bursting at the seams. The only downer that day was our defeat by Wigan.

What I enjoyed most visiting other grounds was the fact you could go behind the posts where Hunslet were attacking in the first half and at half time strolling to the opposite end ready for the second half.

I liked Blackpool Borough's ground when they played at the town centre stadium. The crowds were usually very small and you got to know the gatemen and the two "bobbies" that were always present at home games. When they were playing against Leeds in the Challenge cup they had six police there and I jokingly asked one of the regular guy's if they were expecting trouble with such a large police presence. The attendance that day was around 3 to 4000 instead of the usual 200-250.   

#33 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

In my younger days I went to every rugby league ground between 1949 and 1975 and the strangest experience was going to watch Hunslet play Huyton at Huyton. I couldn't find the ground so I went to a police station for directions. On making my enquiry the first thing they asked was "Am you mad, it's a dangerous area?". They decided the easy way was to have me follow a police car to the ground and told me to stay in my car once there until the police got the gates opened. Once inside the actual ground the police commented that at least I would have a car to go home in once the game finished. Evidently some time previously the police went to the ground to investigate a break in and when they came out the police car had been stolen !  

The easiest trip to a ground for me was the 1965 Challenge Cup Final in 1965. I was in the RAF stationed at RAF Halton near Aylesbury and I got my parents to meet me there. We went down to Wembley on the tube travelling in the opposite direction to virtually every other fan and after the game went back to Aylesbury. Our platform was empty but the going into London platform was almost bursting at the seams. The only downer that day was our defeat by Wigan.

What I enjoyed most visiting other grounds was the fact you could go behind the posts where Hunslet were attacking in the first half and at half time strolling to the opposite end ready for the second half.

I liked Blackpool Borough's ground when they played at the town centre stadium. The crowds were usually very small and you got to know the gatemen and the two "bobbies" that were always present at home games. When they were playing against Leeds in the Challenge cup they had six police there and I jokingly asked one of the regular guy's if they were expecting trouble with such a large police presence. The attendance that day was around 3 to 4000 instead of the usual 200-250.   

id only just passed my driving test and found the Huyton ground in the middle of a council estate, parked up and was met by a couple of young scallies with the scouse  anthem, can we mind your car mister ? About to tell em to fk off, i thought better of it and slipped em 50p - a fortune in them days... at least i had 4 wheels on the car after the match....they had a player coach Geoff Fletcher who was a fearsome character, a pig farmer who wore a wig off the field but played without it, nobody dare take the p - - - though.

Posted Image

#34 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Some fantastic posts on here.....

#35 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

Used to go under the fencing via a tunnel under the fencing where the training pitch was, then run across the training pitch sidestepping the stewards on duty, and outpacing them most of the time.

Remember I was a young lad with no money going to the game with my mates. If we did get caught we only got thrown out of the ground dragged by our collars. 

My dad used to be at every home game with his mates, and money was tight then , what with him having 2 kids and us living in them back streets of heaven in Hunslet. So I never expected him to pay me in ,  he did when I went on my own with him, but not me going with my mates.

I do remember going into a great old fashioned bar under the stand , and dad buying me pop and crisps. Think they only sold bottled beer in there, strange how I remember that. And as a kid it was still a great atmosphere in the bar, and watching the game at Parkside.

#36 georgehadgingerhair

georgehadgingerhair
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

I remember getting locked in the bar at huyton cos the kids off the estate were goin to batter us but dont remember anyone off this site being there i think there are a few walter mittys on here

Can only remember going to Huyton once when the McAndrews used to run the coaches is this the time you are talking about. Can remember going into the bar which I think was outside the ground and was a dark dirty place. Somebody mentioned a few weeks previous to us going that a circus was there and the animals were released which is not hard to believe.

There are still a few who went on the coaches to away games then still go on the bus or now go to games by car.

Always looked forward to going to Barrow and Whitehaven on a Friday night in those days Whitehaven also had a Social Club in the city centre and we would go there after the game I wonder if they still have it.

Barry Lee also had his testimonial around that time in the club now called the Spinning Wheel always remember Peter Ryecroft doing his Monty Python bit playing the organ in his birthday suit.

These were good times and the club was vibrant and positive and to be honest I feel it will be again this season and the away coach will be full for every away game.  

Sorry I've drifted away from the topic I'll stop. 

#37 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Lots of room on the bus for Hemel

#38 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

id only just passed my driving test and found the Huyton ground in the middle of a council estate, parked up and was met by a couple of young scallies with the scouse  anthem, can we mind your car mister ? About to tell em to fk off, i thought better of it and slipped em 50p - a fortune in them days... at least i had 4 wheels on the car after the match....they had a player coach Geoff Fletcher who was a fearsome character, a pig farmer who wore a wig off the field but played without it, nobody dare take the p - - - though.

That story sounds very familiar and I think you told it to me in person, or somebody did. I Worked at Parkside as a youngster selling programmes and was heartbroken when Parkisde closed down. My grandfather was devastated as my great uncle played there - don't know what he would have made of it all. It was some of the happiest times working there and it's sad that there is nothing to even sjow wher the old ground was.

#39 Stonewall

Stonewall
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Does anyone remember beating york in the challenge cup in 1974 then getting warrington in the quarter finals

#40 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Does anyone remember beating york in the challenge cup in 1974 then getting warrington in the quarter finals

Vaguely. i remember the Hull KR fans smashing up a police car and generally running riot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users