Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TRL Helpdesk: Buying a laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Dearest TRLers

I'm in the market for a laptop that will be primarily used by kids under the age of 10. I'm a mac user myself but I'm getting a bit fed up with my boys spilling drinks on my macbook and generally misusing it (not to mention stopping me from using it!)

I've had a look at websites like cnet for advice on what to buy, but I just ended up confused.

I obviously don't want to pay much - say less than £400 - but it needs to be robust and be good for homework and games.

Any advice would be great, especially if you know of any bargains to be had.

thanks very much

Mark

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

PC or Mac?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

PC definitely. I use Macs but they're a bit expensive for the kids!

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I bought a Samsung last time, from a range that had just been discontinued, so was about £400. Very pleased with it - about 1/3 the weight of its predecessor.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

My thoughts are anything in that price range isn't going to last more than a year or two. Does it have to be a laptop?

Fides invicta triumphat

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Get them a Raspberry Pi and let them get on with it.

#7 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

My thoughts are anything in that price range isn't going to last more than a year or two. Does it have to be a laptop?

Depends what they're going to use it for I guess. All the laptops I've ever owned have been from that sort of price range, and all have lasted somewhat longer than a year or two. Admittedly I'm child free however, so I don't know how much more than web browsing, photo editing, music storage and MSOffice based work that I use mine for that kids are likely to do. From a plus point with kids, the cheaper it is, the less it is to replace if it gets damaged beyond repair.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#8 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Depends what they're going to use it for I guess. All the laptops I've ever owned have been from that sort of price range, and all have lasted somewhat longer than a year or two. Admittedly I'm child free however, so I don't know how much more than web browsing, photo editing, music storage and MSOffice based work that I use mine for that kids are likely to do. From a plus point with kids, the cheaper it is, the less it is to replace if it gets damaged beyond repair.

True. My experience with laptops are where they are carted about on a daily basis and the cheapy ones don't tend to last long.
Fides invicta triumphat

#9 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Get them a Raspberry Pi and let them get on with it.

Raspberry Pi's are a great idea. I've played about with Linux, XMBC (a media player) and for a bit of nostalgia Risc OS on mine. Kids can do what they like with it as it only costs around £25 although they might be a bit disappointed that it won't play games (they should be programming their own) or run windows (which is a good thing).
Fides invicta triumphat

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

I was reading about using a Raspberry Pi as a media player on Audiostream just yesterday. The comments section includes some interesting suggestions too.

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Dearest TRLers

I'm in the market for a laptop that will be primarily used by kids under the age of 10. I'm a mac user myself but I'm getting a bit fed up with my boys spilling drinks on my macbook and generally misusing it (not to mention stopping me from using it!)

I've had a look at websites like cnet for advice on what to buy, but I just ended up confused.

I obviously don't want to pay much - say less than £400 - but it needs to be robust and be good for homework and games.

Any advice would be great, especially if you know of any bargains to be had.

thanks very much

Mark

Just a thought.

But if your a mac user, I'm sure in your price range you could pick up a reasonable 2nd hand Macbook or Macbook Pro.  Granted no good for the latest and greatest games, but would save you getting to grips with the likes of Windows 8!

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Why a laptop?  why not a tablet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users