Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Anzac Day crowds

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

Anzac day reflects national heroism, st George's day represents an opportunity for beer and card companies to increase profits.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#22 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's a sad fact that a lot of England isn't really interested in St George's day even if they tried to make it into something big. If there was genuine support for it, we wouldn't need to manufacture patriotism around it, it would have happened naturally. I must admit in my school I was shocked we didn't do anything this year, especially seeing as though they generally do something for every little thing - especially St Patrick's.

I think it's because most countries that go mad about their Saints days are often smaller nations that are dominated by another. It's used as an expression of nationalism in opposition to a bigger country. I don't think it's coincidence that nations like France and the USA tend to have holidays centred around big events in their history rather than necessarily as just a celebration of national pride.

I think we'd be better going down this route, having a bank holiday to commemorate our roles in the wars, on VE day or something.

That said, the NRL have definitely done a good job of organising a big round around the ANZAC day celebrations. It's a bit like the heritage round, a genuinely good idea that fans over here would love as well.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 25 April 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#23 Toddye13

Toddye13
  • Facebook
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I would be hard pressed to find 40,000 people that would attend a normal Super League game. Not withstanding Magic weekend where that is a combination of fans from all over converging to the same arena.

That is great attendance for a NRL game....a few weeks ago there was a crowd around 51,000 at Bulldogs vs Souths which is huge crowd for a normal NRL game plus the TV attendance. 

The NRL's crowds are just growing season on season. 

#24 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Let's leave the chest thumping and flag waving to the yanks.

#25 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

We're not allowed to have national pride in this country. Anything to do with St George's cross is now apparently considered racist according to the PC brigade.

If I walked about with a swastika tattoo on my chest people would think me a racist, but I could be a practicing Buddhist for all they know. It's PC gone mad, we're not allowed to practice Buddhism in this cultural marxist hell hole!

#26 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I would be hard pressed to find 40,000 people that would attend a normal Super League game. Not withstanding Magic weekend where that is a combination of fans from all over converging to the same arena.

That is great attendance for a NRL game....a few weeks ago there was a crowd around 51,000 at Bulldogs vs Souths which is huge crowd for a normal NRL game plus the TV attendance. 

The NRL's crowds are just growing season on season. 

It's odd to compare a sport with the profile of the NRL to Super League. It's no surprise that they can get 40k to a game and we can't. I'd say that pound for pound our games are better attended than theirs.

They have had some standout crowds this year but they've also had some stinkers, it seems to be very up and down this year. Also, their crowds were slightly smaller last year than 2010 and only 9 more than 2005. They are historically high and doing well, but it's hardly year on year growth.

#27 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Exciting to see such huge crowds. We need big events to introduce fans to the game and can use this as a starting point to grow crowds.

#28 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Since it's not a holiday, it'd be hard to get games on. For a bumper bank holiday crowd in this country, see Good Friday.

well I was sort of talking about national pride, but almost everyone here has taken it to a different level.

Grinner, I am not suggesting that next year we will get 40k. It has taken the Aussies more than 10 to get 40k.

What if Rugby League in England was to say "Hey, we are going to make St Georges Day one of our biggest days, no mater what day it is". Get Sky on to show the game and actually make a big issue out of it.

It seems from most posts we are all a little dissatisfied with the significance of St G' day here, so what is stopping us from being the sport that takes the initiative and celebrates it with a big game?

Those that say "we will never get 40K to a game" do not understand that this is an opportunity that may take 3 years to turn into a 25K match. I feel that especially in the heartland areas where despite many people supporting their clubs over our nation in RL, in most circumstances we have huge national pride. 

This just may be the opportunity for us to rejoice nationally on the day of our patron saint and show the rest of the country how proud we are of our sport and how proud we are of our country. 

Compared to winter sports where the season in almost finshed and the winners are usually decided, RL is only just hotting up. 

I just feel there is an opportunity for us as to lead the way and get behind our sport and celebrate our great nation.

#29 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

25,000 sell out in a non Rugby League city obsessed with AFL. Melbourne are doing a great job selling our sport to a new audience. Its not just on the field that Melboune are doing so well.

#30 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

absolutely, and if there was ever an indicator of what promo can do, look at the 22K crowd in Wellington yesterday for the first ever AFL season fixture played on foreign soil

#31 bazza_merged

bazza_merged
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

They have had some standout crowds this year but they've also had some stinkers, it seems to be very up and down this year.

After 6 round there have been only 3 crowds under 10,000 (only 1 was under 9,500)

#32 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

My lad is 15 this May and never been taught the National anthem at school.

I work at a school that shares the name if our patron. We did a parade, which was nice. But people stopped and asked me what we were protesting!

I'm 28 in July and never been taught the National anthem at school.

I'm 93, tha' knows, and I only like the verse about socking it to the jocklanders.

I'm fortymumblemumble years old... I can't remember if I was taught it in school or not.

I'm fifty-something, and I was taught to play GSTQ on the recorder. 

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#33 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

A man had three sons. One of the sons asked his Dad
"Dad, why is our George called George?"
"Cos he was born on St Georges day"
"Oh, so why was our Dave called David?"
"Cos he was born on St David's day, why do you ask Pancake?"

The best thing about old jokes is you don't have to think about them!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#34 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

25,000 sell out in a non Rugby League city obsessed with AFL. Melbourne are doing a great job selling our sport to a new audience. Its not just on the field that Melboune are doing so well.

Haven't Melbourne kind of broken through. Certainly in their previous stadium struggling to get 5 figures. Now 20,000 or near is becoming regular. Great for the Aussie game in Victoria.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#35 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

After 6 round there have been only 3 crowds under 10,000 (only 1 was under 9,500)

Whilst this is true it's not really reflective of where the NRL is at, they only had 23 sub 10k crowds last season and 15 of these were spread over Canberra, Penrith and Cronulla. When most teams have only played at home 3 times and one of these was a season opener, it's no surprise that they've only seen 3 sub 10k crowds. Also, the SOO lull hasn't hit yet.

I'm not slating the crowds, like I said they are historically high but it's easy to see the big numbers that we are seeing on this side of the world and think that everything is exploding over there. I was pointing out that whilst we've seen some extraordinary ones the overall majority hasn't seen any shift and some have even been pretty poor, a 9k crowd for Wests-Parramatta for instance.

Admittedly, I haven't been on since round 3 but on Leagueunlimited there was real worry at the beginning of the year about how poor some of the crowds were. If you look at Brisbane, they got 31k for their opener but by their standards this is a shocking opening round crowd.

#36 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Haven't Melbourne kind of broken through. Certainly in their previous stadium struggling to get 5 figures. Now 20,000 or near is becoming regular. Great for the Aussie game in Victoria.

I think there has been a shift and I think it's helped by the style of RL that they are playing and the fact that they've won 15 in a row.

Tbh I don't think it's all to do with the new stadium at all. Other sports clubs such as the Melbourne Victory have not seen any increase and possibly a decrease despite moving into a purpose built rectangular stadium. It's also worth pointing out that they are the most followed club on Twitter in the NRL.

Time will still tell how they do when they're a mid-table club rather than the best club in the world.

#37 Toddye13

Toddye13
  • Facebook
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Melbourne have done really well over the years to build a fan base in a city born and bred to know only AFL. 

They have a purpose built stadium to reflect the success they have built and the fan base has grown because of the style of footy they play and also the club ethos that has been built over the years. 

I dont see them as ever being a mid-table club...they are the benchmark for which all other clubs aspire to become. 

Ordinary players go there to become better players through the systems that are in place.

The games that are being produced this year have been of a very high standard hence the high crowd turnout. Souths doing well has brought all the closet fans, Manly have the backing of the northern beaches and also get a good crowd at home although their away support is terrible, Melbourne bought a decent away crowd to the Souths game a couple of weeks ago, Titans crowds will go up and down depending on how they perform etc

#38 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Let's leave the chest thumping and flag waving to the yanks.

Have you ever seen the armistice day parade or the chest thumping flag waving colonel blimp nostalgia of the last night of the proms.?

The English can take flag waving patriotism to the same level as the Yanks without any difficulty. Olympics anyone.

#39 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

well I was sort of talking about national pride, but almost everyone here has taken it to a different level.

Grinner, I am not suggesting that next year we will get 40k. It has taken the Aussies more than 10 to get 40k.

What if Rugby League in England was to say "Hey, we are going to make St Georges Day one of our biggest days, no mater what day it is". Get Sky on to show the game and actually make a big issue out of it.

It seems from most posts we are all a little dissatisfied with the significance of St G' day here, so what is stopping us from being the sport that takes the initiative and celebrates it with a big game?

Those that say "we will never get 40K to a game" do not understand that this is an opportunity that may take 3 years to turn into a 25K match. I feel that especially in the heartland areas where despite many people supporting their clubs over our nation in RL, in most circumstances we have huge national pride. 

This just may be the opportunity for us to rejoice nationally on the day of our patron saint and show the rest of the country how proud we are of our sport and how proud we are of our country. 

Compared to winter sports where the season in almost finshed and the winners are usually decided, RL is only just hotting up. 

I just feel there is an opportunity for us as to lead the way and get behind our sport and celebrate our great nation.

I understand the sentiment but, unfortunately, St Georges day is about a Christian figure and not as good sell to much of the country. I just finished watching a piece of Boots n all about trying to attract support from the Asian community. St George is not a good vehicle for that.

The framers of the US constitution had it right when they seperated Church and State so that their national holidays ( with the exception of Christmas) are celebrations of secular events.

If we want to emulate this, we should pick another celebratory day to promote the game, maybe Nov 11 for instance.

#40 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

It's a sad fact that a lot of England isn't really interested in St George's day even if they tried to make it into something big. If there was genuine support for it, we wouldn't need to manufacture patriotism around it, it would have happened naturally. I must admit in my school I was shocked we didn't do anything this year, especially seeing as though they generally do something for every little thing - especially St Patrick's.

I think it's because most countries that go mad about their Saints days are often smaller nations that are dominated by another. It's used as an expression of nationalism in opposition to a bigger country. I don't think it's coincidence that nations like France and the USA tend to have holidays centred around big events in their history rather than necessarily as just a celebration of national pride.

I think we'd be better going down this route, having a bank holiday to commemorate our roles in the wars, on VE day or something.

That said, the NRL have definitely done a good job of organising a big round around the ANZAC day celebrations. It's a bit like the heritage round, a genuinely good idea that fans over here would love as well.

St Patrick's Day became a celebration because it had significance to Irish society and religion. A day off, attending a religious service, then the day was your own. A lot of traditions built up around that, even more so in the diaspora, though. Growing up in England, I never got the impression that Christian saints in general mattered that much, certainly they didn't seem to be as important in the predominantly Protestant religious observance as in the Catholic community.

It is a similar situation in Scotland, where saints seem to be even less important than in England. In the predominant Presbyterian tradition, we don't even name churches after saints, titles just being, for example, Methven Parish Church. Although many attempts have been made to make St Andrew's Day into a celebration as significant as St Patrick's, it is largely as much of a non event as St George's Day.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users