TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Anzac Day crowds

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

absolutely, and if there was ever an indicator of what promo can do, look at the 22K crowd in Wellington yesterday for the first ever AFL season fixture played on foreign soil

There's promotion and then there's the AFL.

Schoolkids who participated in AFL 'clinics' at school got four free tickets each.

The AFL also counts caterers, etc as part of the crowds in Aus, I assume it'd be the same in the NZ game..

AFLGamedaySaintsLive.jpg

#42 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

Let's leave the chest thumping and flag waving to the yanks.

Oh please.

0,,6514734_4,00.jpg

article-1381836-0BD4224400000578-671_964

#43 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Oh please.

0,,6514734_4,00.jpg

Not enough flags.

#44 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Taking this thread on its merits, before it became the traditional late April whine that no one waves flags in support of the Palestinian patron saint of Georgia, ensuring Wales get a plum tie on St David's Day and Ireland on St guiness' day seems sensible. Think st Andrews day might be a bit late in the year unless we can run a Euro 2 comp alongside the 4 nations. When is the Exiles national day?:)
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#45 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Oh please.

0,,6514734_4,00.jpg

Bit of a difference between public and establishment flag waving. There's no where near the level of patriotism or nationial pride, or "flag waving" if you will in England as there is the United States.

Patriotism manufactured by the media for one-off events isn't really the same thing.

#46 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Bit of a difference between public and establishment flag waving. There's no where near the level of patriotism or nationial pride, or "flag waving" if you will in England as there is the United States.

Patriotism manufactured by the media for one-off events isn't really the same thing.

They are a young country and if you think the UK is multi cultural, you should check out the US. They are still trying to meld all their disparate elements into one unified American whole and these over overt displays of patriotism are part of that universal effort.

We went through the same thing 400 years ago and introduced a completely manufactured flag to celebrate the fact the UNION jack. It took a hundred years from 1603 to the act of union in 1707 to sort it out.

Cut the yanks some slack. They are proud of their country as are we.

#47 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

They are a young country and if you think the UK is multi cultural, you should check out the US. They are still trying to meld all their disparate elements into one unified American whole and these over overt displays of patriotism are part of that universal effort.

We went through the same thing 400 years ago and introduced a completely manufactured flag to celebrate the fact the UNION jack. It took a hundred years from 1603 to the act of union in 1707 to sort it out.

Cut the yanks some slack. They are proud of their country as are we.

What I'm saying is that flag waving isn't that frequent here, and is much more prevelant in America, despite the misrepresentetive images kioli posts. Whether that's good or bad is for somebody else to decide.

#48 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

What I'm saying is that flag waving isn't that frequent here, and is much more prevelant in America, despite the misrepresentetive images kioli posts. Whether that's good or bad is for somebody else to decide.

Fair enough. Let's leave it at that.

Suffice it to say that at the World Cup I will be waving the cross of St George at the England games and the stars and stripes at the US games as a gesture of support of the underdogs and to my American wife, whose idea it was to support as many world cup games as possible.

She has been converted from the days when she heard the "We 'ate Rhinos chant " at Headingley, turned to a crowd member and said " Why do they eat Rhinos" ? I had to pretend I wasn't with her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users