Koori Knockout - best RL tournament you've never heard of

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Just sat here in the RL-free wasteland of Adelaide and came across a sports programme called Barefoot Sports on NITV, which is a community channel for the Aboriginal people of Australia.

To my delight it's a documentary about something called the NSW Aboriginal Rugby League Knockout Carnival, or the "Koori Knockout".

Started in 1971, it seems to have grown to about 40 teams and they seem to play a full knockout tournament over a couple of days. The winners played 5 full games in that time.

Some good players involved as well. The final last year was won by Newcastle Yowies, who are captained by Timana Tahu who I'm sure will be remembered by many.

Off the pitch it seems to have a lot of community support and it claims to be the biggest indigenous people's sport's gathering in Australia. It has RL written through it like a stick of Blackpool rock - one of the people who founded it back in the 70s just said something along the lines of "These people faced a lot of prejudice, but when they get on that pitch they get taken seriously as equals"

Great programme, but sadly doesn't seem to be available on line, although there are clips available. If the powers that be fancy sending one of their Aussie based journos along to it I reckon there's a terrific story there for RLW. It'll be later in the year in Newcastle, as far as I can work out.

That's me.  I'm done.

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just sat here in the RL-free wasteland of Adelaide and came across a sports programme called Barefoot Sports on NITV, which is a community channel for the Aboriginal people of Australia.

To my delight it's a documentary about something called the NSW Aboriginal Rugby League Knockout Carnival, or the "Koori Knockout".

Started in 1971, it seems to have grown to about 40 teams and they seem to play a full knockout tournament over a couple of days. The winners played 5 full games in that time.

Some good players involved as well. The final last year was won by Newcastle Yowies, who are captained by Timana Tahu who I'm sure will be remembered by many.

Off the pitch it seems to have a lot of community support and it claims to be the biggest indigenous people's sport's gathering in Australia. It has RL written through it like a stick of Blackpool rock - one of the people who founded it back in the 70s just said something along the lines of "These people faced a lot of prejudice, but when they get on that pitch they get taken seriously as equals"

Great programme, but sadly doesn't seem to be available on line, although there are clips available. If the powers that be fancy sending one of their Aussie based journos along to it I reckon there's a terrific story there for RLW. It'll be later in the year in Newcastle, as far as I can work out.

I'll do it.  John Drake has my number.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users