Extending to 6 teams

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I wonder if the proposed Super League shrinkage bumps the kick off back a few weeks, and this bad boy slips in to start off the season of both comps.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I wonder if the proposed Super League shrinkage bumps the kick off back a few weeks, and this bad boy slips in to start off the season of both comps.

Now there's a thought! :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Breaking news:

The three clubs will be decided alphabetically...

:)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 brooza

brooza
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Breaking news:

Fingers crossed you make it into the reduced league!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#25 Nomad XIII

Nomad XIII
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Breaking news:

Broncos confirm move to Aldershot.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Broncos confirm move to Aldershot.

Leeds "dual reg" with Bramley.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Breaking news:

Hull change their name to "Airlie Birds".
Posted Image

#28 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Widnes sponsored by AA to become AA Vikings

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Trumped by Castleford's sponsorship with A1 Taxis.
Posted Image

#30 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Kinda wish the Akbars consortium took over us now...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#31 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

i am clearly in the minority here by saying I think this is a terrible idea.

I am still baffled as to why the WCC is played at the start of both seasons when players have moved to other clubs and the teams that actually won anything are not the same in 5 months time.

The Champions League is just as open to this situation I hear you say. I also believe that the CL is not the best model however most suitable for a sport where there are more than 200 clubs with multi million pound turnovers and possible victors span 8 nations.

In my opinion for RL, you cannot beat the climax of two parallel competition club winners fighting it out for World supremacy two weeks after their respective national victories as a pre-cursor to the 4 nations or whichever yearly culminating international event .

A WCC before the 4 nations would only increase the interest of respective nations before they battle it out for world victory. 

Why dumb it down with clubs that are not champions?

#32 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

i am clearly in the minority here by saying I think this is a terrible idea.

I am still baffled as to why the WCC is played at the start of both seasons when players have moved to other clubs and the teams that actually won anything are not the same in 5 months time.

The Champions League is just as open to this situation I hear you say. I also believe that the CL is not the best model however most suitable for a sport where there are more than 200 clubs with multi million pound turnovers and possible victors span 8 nations.

In my opinion for RL, you cannot beat the climax of two parallel competition club winners fighting it out for World supremacy two weeks after their respective national victories as a pre-cursor to the 4 nations or whichever yearly culminating international event .

A WCC before the 4 nations would only increase the interest of respective nations before they battle it out for world victory.

Why dumb it down with clubs that are not champions?

Can't agree with you on that - all teams have a squad of players who at various points in a season get used.
Not many sides will make more than a handful of changes for the following year so doesn't that negate your different team arguement?

Personally I think it's a great idea to start the season with a bang i.e. WCC "SL v NRL"
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#33 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

sounds good

http://www.theage.co...0425-2ihnb.html

Sorry this is an awful idea either stay as we are or for to 4 teams and a straight knock out. We could even go to eight teams and have a knock out or two groups of four. This 1 v 1,2 v 2 and 3 v 3 is a waste of time after the two comp winners play.

#34 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Can't agree with you on that - all teams have a squad of players who at various points in a season get used.
Not many sides will make more than a handful of changes for the following year so doesn't that negate your different team arguement?

Personally I think it's a great idea to start the season with a bang i.e. WCC "SL v NRL"

yes totally correct with what you say about players over a season, however, both competitions are won by teams who can put out their best teams over the course of that season. Why should the WCC be any different.

Surely to be World Champions that should be a culmination not a start.

The World Cup final is not held 5 months after the semi final is it?

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Sorry this is an awful idea either stay as we are or for to 4 teams and a straight knock out. We could even go to eight teams and have a knock out or two groups of four. This 1 v 1,2 v 2 and 3 v 3 is a waste of time after the two comp winners play.

If they're going to be here for two games each, they might as well get straight into it!
Posted Image

#36 Damien

Damien
  • Coach
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

This just sounds like Hetherington's awful idea which is the World Club Challenge, as per normal, with 2 glorified friendlies tagged along with it. This is in no way way an expansion of the World Club Challenge and will do little to provide RL with an additional money spinner like the Champions League or Heineken Cup. Either do it properly and actually expand it with additional teams competing for the World Club Challenge or dont bother.

#37 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

This just sounds like Hetherington's awful idea which is the World Club Challenge, as per normal, with 2 glorified friendlies tagged along with it. This is in no way way an expansion of the World Club Challenge and will do little to provide RL with an additional money spinner like the Champions League or Heineken Cup. Either do it properly and actually expand it with additional teams competing for the World Club Challenge or dont bother.

Even if it is glorified friendlies then it is in some way an expansion of the WCC.

Rhetoric aside, the NRL will never go for one at the end of the season or even during season until they value the clubs in it. They currently don't which is why it's a friendly.

#38 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

THIS! Either expand the competition proper with all teams able to have a chance of winning or leave it as it is. I dont care and neither do fans in general about SL v NRL or 2 v 2, 3 v 3, why would a player put his body on the line for this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users