Workington

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

I don't know if everyone is avoiding the topic but we do have a very important game on Sunday. For me this represents a real opportunity to properly assess where the team are in terms of development and quality at the present time and how our coaching staff are responding to a number of setbacks. Workington are the sort of side that we would hope to defeat at home, having recently been promoted and having simlar budgetary constraints to ourselves. However last week they won a hard-fought contset away at Whitehaven, who are no pushovers on their own patch, and seem to be developing into a strong unit - still a bottom-half team, like ourselves, but one of the stronger ones.

Some weeks ago, when we were riding high (remember?) we would have been looking forward to this game with great confidence. Now, after some unsatisfactory results, we are just a little nervous about what the game will reveal. Do we have the mental fortitude to play well for 80 minutes? Have the players developed the maturity to stick with the game plan for the whole match? Will we be able to score in the second half? Will Karl Price still get picked? Etc.

I predict a tense game in front of a sparse crowd:

Rams 28 - 18 Town

Att 725

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have thought for a while that we need a big nasty experienced forward who can get tough when needed and can intimidate the opposition ( and our own players ) . you never know . ;)

#3 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

32 - 10 to Workington

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#4 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have thought for a while that we need a big nasty experienced forward who can get tough when needed and can intimidate the opposition ( and our own players ) . you never know . ;)

Would be nice if one of those are available for our team,a leader on the pitch to show the way to go.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hmm - big forward, Dewsbury, Workington??

I get it! What is Harry Beverley doing nowadays?

B)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Harry Beverley, now he was a big lad! Fond memories of one of the best forwards ever to grace Derwent Park. He would have loved playing for either team this Sunday.

#7 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

B)

Come on BSJ we all know it's Ryan McDonald  :lol:

#8 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

You mean like Aizue?

#9 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

No idea if we have sorted what happens after half time. Im hoping so if not it will be a very long season. I'd like to think we can win by 10 points but tbh with our current form I'd settle for a BP.
Att 810
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#10 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Got to start winning our home games from now on,i will go for Rams 30-20 Town.

#11 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 992 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

B)

Think big Harry is still living somewhwere between Maryport and Silloth, the ground moved when he was in full stride, they dont make them like him anymore :(

#12 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Harry does indeed live in Maryport Cumbria, and is invited along with the rest of the team of 73 to a reunion dinner to be held at the club on Friday may 17th at 7.30PM. Tickets are available from the club for just £10 and if enough supporters get behind it and buy a ticket should be a good evenings entertainment.

It is the first of the clubs events being held to mark the 40th anniversary of Dewsburys finest hour and all being well the championship trophy will be on show for the evening.

Ricochet!

#13 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I don't know if everyone is avoiding the topic but we do have a very important game on Sunday. For me this represents a real opportunity to properly assess where the team are in terms of development and quality at the present time and how our coaching staff are responding to a number of setbacks. Workington are the sort of side that we would hope to defeat at home, having recently been promoted and having simlar budgetary constraints to ourselves. However last week they won a hard-fought contset away at Whitehaven, who are no pushovers on their own patch, and seem to be developing into a strong unit - still a bottom-half team, like ourselves, but one of the stronger ones.

Some weeks ago, when we were riding high (remember?) we would have been looking forward to this game with great confidence. Now, after some unsatisfactory results, we are just a little nervous about what the game will reveal. Do we have the mental fortitude to play well for 80 minutes? Have the players developed the maturity to stick with the game plan for the whole match? Will we be able to score in the second half? Will Karl Price still get picked? Etc.

I predict a tense game in front of a sparse crowd:

Rams 28 - 18 Town

Att 725

We can win. We would have walked it in early March. Will we win ? Don't think so. Confidence just too low and having seen off their arch enemies last week workington will be buzzing. If we win I think we should see off relegation comfortably. If we don't it will be a very nervous and sweaty last half of the season. If we loose and don't get BP I predict we will go down. Fingers crossed the lads can turn it round. One good win and who knows. Won't try guessing the score, but predict we will score early doors, be leading by 10 at half time and then..........

#14 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

We are capable of winning this one, but the question must be asked - have we the confidence? I think not, unfortunately. I sincerely hope that I am wrong here, but Worky thrust aside their arch enemies away from home in the Challenge Cup last week.

Dewsbury 18 - 28 Workington Town

Att: 686

Legs, Dews, Legs.

#15 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Think we will win well. Workington's away form not great we have some players back and despite the result, we were leading at Sheffield for an hour. Gutted that have to go to a family christening and will miss the game.

It is confidence and am sure they will fancy their chances against Workington who are described as injury hit and down to their last 17 players.

Rams 28 Workington 10

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 26 April 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#16 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

There's some very optimistic crowd predictions on this thread! Can't see anything other than a home win.

Dewsbury 22 Workington 18

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Think we will win well. Workington's away form not great we have some players back and despite the result, we were leading at Sheffield for an hour. Gutted that have to go to a family christening and will miss the game.

It is confidence and am sure they will fancy their chances against Workington who are described as injury hit and down to their last 17 players.

Rams 28 Workington 10

17 is an improvement on last week at Whitehaven when we had James Coyle named as a sub but he never played and never was going to play due to being injured.   He was named on the bench so that we didn't get a fine for not having 17 players on the team-sheet.     I think we must have another player back from injury if we have the 17.

Edited by Keith T, 26 April 2013 - 10:05 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#18 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Keith T - you must have played very well last week to win at Whitehaven then. We are just coming out of our own injury crisis.

#19 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

I am confident we will control the 1sh half, its the 2nd half performance that worries me. If by some miracle we have sorted this fiasco out then a home win is on the cards. Not sure we'll romp it though!

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#20 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

We are just coming out of our own injury crisis.

That old chestnut :lol:

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users