Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

or if town hadn't made so many handling errors you would have been blown away too. You have to give us some credit. Dews is a tough place to go to and our away form hasn't been great.

I don't think so TBH although no doubt town were worth the win. We are both in the other league within a league. Did town make more handling errors than us? It didn't seem that way while watching. Both sides made mistakes ours seem to surround our once again dire kicking game.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#42 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

As I said in an earlier post, Town kept going for the full 80 minutes again and got their reward.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#43 morti

morti
  • Coach
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

2 poor teams imo,the rams were utter rubbish,2nd half collapse yet again,needs sorting n quick,before its too late :((

#44 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

hey we won a cup.........in 2010........

and energizer your still jealous and show it.....lol

And still nowt to show for it.

Edited by RPH, 28 April 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#45 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Bitterly disappointed at how we gave away that last try at the end.Thought we where going to sneak a win out of this game,which would had been a lucky win if we could had held on.Fighting to keep out of the bottom two now.

A win might have been lucky, but a defeat so late in the game was tough on the lads. Hard to single out a reason, but the two half backs aren't even as good as JyMel and Aaron and their joint kicking games is woeful....prycey slightly better at ful back and pack did ok for the most part. We just can't score when we have good positions. O brien and brown had good games. Think we just need a win to break the hoodoo and we could be fine, but god knows where it's coming from if we can't score second half"...... 16 points first half again, must be some kind of record....

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I don't know if everyone is avoiding the topic but we do have a very important game on Sunday. For me this represents a real opportunity to properly assess where the team are in terms of development and quality at the present time and how our coaching staff are responding to a number of setbacks. Workington are the sort of side that we would hope to defeat at home, having recently been promoted and having simlar budgetary constraints to ourselves. However last week they won a hard-fought contset away at Whitehaven, who are no pushovers on their own patch, and seem to be developing into a strong unit - still a bottom-half team, like ourselves, but one of the stronger ones.

Some weeks ago, when we were riding high (remember?) we would have been looking forward to this game with great confidence. Now, after some unsatisfactory results, we are just a little nervous about what the game will reveal. Do we have the mental fortitude to play well for 80 minutes? Have the players developed the maturity to stick with the game plan for the whole match? Will we be able to score in the second half? Will Karl Price still get picked? Etc.

I predict a tense game in front of a sparse crowd:

Rams 28 - 18 Town

Att 725

Responding to myself now!

I was close with the attendance if nothing else although this should have been a cause for concern given that there was a reasonably healthy contingent from Workington there today. Are we now down to 620 loyal fans?

Workington were readily beatable by a half-decent side - ergo we aren't a half-decent side. The conclusion that I am rapidly coming to is that the majority of the players we have simply aren't good enough for this standard of RL. Added to that the coaching staff aren't getting any improvements out of the team or the individuals therein; this is something of a damning indictment of their collective abilities.

I find it hard to see where our next win will come from. If we lose to Swinton we will be staring relegation hard in the face.

Not happy!!

:angry:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Unfortunately had to attend a family event so had to rely on brother's text messages for score updates.

Was Aaron Brown on the bench? He has been our best player all season on defence and attack, we need him on the pitch the whole game. Did he come on as half back or hooker? Hopefully half-back.

And according to Sky Sports, a winger/centre Pryce at full-back and a full-back Craven on the wing? Playing players out of position is rarely a good idea and was the sort of thing Andy Fisher did to no effect.

Was Hyde any good? Could he play scrum-half? Watkinson not playing? He looks a quality player and Cosgrove also missing out. Settled sides build confidence and win games, unsettled sides lose confidence and lose games.

Think Morrison just needs to decide on his best side and stick with it.

#48 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Unfortunately had to attend a family event so had to rely on brother's text messages for score updates.Was Aaron Brown on the bench? He has been our best player all season on defence and attack, we need him on the pitch the whole game. Did he come on as half back or hooker? Hopefully half-back.And according to Sky Sports, a winger/centre Pryce at full-back and a full-back Craven on the wing? Playing players out of position is rarely a good idea and was the sort of thing Andy Fisher did to no effect.Was Hyde any good? Could he play scrum-half? Watkinson not playing? He looks a quality player and Cosgrove also missing out. Settled sides build confidence and win games, unsettled sides lose confidence and lose games.Think Morrison just needs to decide on his best side and stick with it.

Aaron was on bench and you're right; we were far better when he came on. Golding and Hyde def not solution to half back issue and if you were looking for a master class of kicking it dead or more bizarrely kicking on the 4th tackle you got it today. Pryce was better at full back, but craven potentially wasted on the wing. No idea why cosgrove can't get a start at centre. Scott missed simple one on one to gift them their first try and we are struggling at centre going forward. All that said and picking up BSJs point we came within a whisker of a win and I think we will improve as soon as we get it. Pack looks ok, but only when Tom and makalie came on. Thought we struggled til then.

#49 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

In reply to some honestly dont think we can improve. We have a bunch of players who might be trying to punch above their weight (and failing) but the coaching staff seem to be falling short of getting them any better. yet another 2nd half nilling is simply not good enough. Especially against a team that we equally as bad as us and a game we could if not should have won (on paper at least).

I'll be the first to say it Taxi for Morrison???

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#50 SheffieldRam

SheffieldRam
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Today was strange to be honest !! Winning with 20 to go playing well , he brought off lillycrop and aizue and all the momentum shifted to them , spears did a 20 min stint and didn't play for the rest of the game, pryce as captain !!!! I thought a bit of responsibility would have made him play better but it didn't !! Craven on the wing , goulding at hooker , what's going on Morrison ,

Coleman , cosgrove , Gallagher , tebb all class players and I would play everyone of them ahead of pryce at fullback !!

Still got faith tho , all we need is 1 good win to get confidence back , Hyde reminds me of Francis Maloney and could be a good signing lets believe for a change !!

#51 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Could sense the winning try coming. We played ok in bits but we when we were near the try line in 2nd half we were short of the guile to get over. Not sure about all the chopping and changing we have had many different half backs even this early on quite a few seem no better than the others.
Aizue Morton and Brown had good games. Pryce seemed better than he had been at centre but Craven didn't seem comfortable on the wing. Gouldings tackling and Hydes kicking leaves alot to be desired. Not sure how many positives we can take from this. For the first time this season im questioning if Morrison is the right person for the job.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#52 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

We were wining 16-12 and under the cosh and Hyde went for a drop goal. If that is the the sort of smart thinking Morisson was talking about when he signed him then heaven help us!
Posted Image

#53 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

chin up fellas ,long way to go yet.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#54 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Worse than when Jowitt was here! I know we don't have the biggest budget and we will struggle to attract decent players, but we consistantly get nilled in the second half. Once or twice is coincidence, but every week would suggest there is a problem.

#55 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

First time ever in 40 years walking out of the ground at full time with no feeling of hurt or mutterings of what could have been or of a idea of what went wrong and how it could be fixed.
a total surrender to how rubbish we were and how little faith i have in the players and the coaching staff..was nice to see ozzy back but im seriously thinking of jacking it in and taking a season off at the moment ive no feelings or desire towards the rams...it sums up the game when the highspot was clapping for a minute to say farwell to a top bloke.

for me this is worst that the jowitt era
then we blamed the coach for players having no idea...this time who can you blame the players or the coach that picked them.

pryce did well today...the only plus

and who ever picks the man of the match
needs to go to specsavers of explain which game were they watching.

#56 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Seen some poor times in the past. I remember one season London Skolars beat us at home. Today was just depressing. I would never question the commitment of any player who takes to the field, but it was just poor fayre. Plenty of effort, but no guile. God help us if we go down.

#57 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Today was strange to be honest !! Winning with 20 to go playing well , he brought off lillycrop and aizue and all the momentum shifted to them , spears did a 20 min stint and didn't play for the rest of the game, pryce as captain !!!! I thought a bit of responsibility would have made him play better but it didn't !! Craven on the wing , goulding at hooker , what's going on Morrison ,
Coleman , cosgrove , Gallagher , tebb all class players and I would play everyone of them ahead of pryce at fullback !!
Still got faith tho , all we need is 1 good win to get confidence back , Hyde reminds me of Francis Maloney and could be a good signing lets believe for a change !!

Hyde reminds you of Franny? I wish he had same effect on me....lets get brown and Jymel at half back and then give them a few weeks stability.

#58 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Could be worse....

You could be a Batley supporter today :/

Edited by funkmaster flex, 28 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#59 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

No mocking from this side of the valley today FF. We were dire and lacking everything that we displayed last week.

Even the Rams would probably have beaten us;).

Chin up...there's always next week.

#60 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Craven to full back, Pryce and Cosgrove in the centres, Buchanan and Morton on the wings, Brown and Coleman at halves, pack as is but split Aizue and Lillycrop so there is always one of them on the pitch. Playing players out of position, constantly signing new players and expecting them to be the solution and chopping and changing every week is exactly what Andy Fisher did and it did not work, it just made things worse.

There is no excuse for a poor kicking game, it is just practice. Likewise why don't we have a set move short kick near the opposition line like Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater. Or the high kick to the corner where Buchanan and Pryce are? We are not a great side but neither are we so poor we should be relegated. But I fear our inexperience in key positions including coaching is not helping.

We need to pick our best side and stick with it and this means having some experience in key positions.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 28 April 2013 - 09:27 PM.