Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Could be worse....

You could be a Batley supporter today :/

One bad result doesnt make a bad team. Several bad results do make a bad team. Which one are batley and which one is dewsbury?

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#62 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

One bad result doesnt make a bad team. Several bad results do make a bad team. Which one are batley and which one is dewsbury?

The only person who thinks Dewsbury are any good right now is GM. We fans know we're pretty garbage this season.

Batley fans on the other hand are expecting to be hand picked and planted in the Superleague, where you probably expect to win the grand final.

It's all about being realistic, and your pasting yesterday was hopefully a wake up call.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#63 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

First time ever in 40 years walking out of the ground at full time with no feeling of hurt or mutterings of what could have been or of a idea of what went wrong and how it could be fixed.
a total surrender to how rubbish we were and how little faith i have in the players and the coaching staff..was nice to see ozzy back but im seriously thinking of jacking it in and taking a season off at the moment ive no feelings or desire towards the rams...it sums up the game when the highspot was clapping for a minute to say farwell to a top bloke.

for me this is worst that the jowitt era
then we blamed the coach for players having no idea...this time who can you blame the players or the coach that picked them.

pryce did well today...the only plus

and who ever picks the man of the match
needs to go to specsavers of explain which game were they watching.

We also need someone on the field to direct the rest of the team. There was no shouting coming from Pryce yesterday. Playing Craven on the wing was an absolute waste of time. I don't understand the kicking game at all and the ball coming from half-back is slower than when we had Pat Walker playing at stand-off.  Personally I think the half-back pairing should be Brown and Coleman. We need to stick with the same team as much as we can and not chop and change it every week. 

Brown needs to be on the field from the start and keep hold of the d.amm ball when we're only on the 3rd tackle. I too think we need Lillycrop and Aizue on the field at separate times. I think Hepworth was outstanding again yesterday. 

Also I am sick and tired of going to games and seeing the ref only watch one side. Some of his decisions were diabolical and gave the advantage to workington on many occasions. Workington were playing off-side all game but neither he or his touch-judges seemed to give a ****. 

Sheffield away this week - bloody great!  :unsure:

#64 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

The only person who thinks Dewsbury are any good right now is GM. We fans know we're pretty garbage this season.

Batley fans on the other hand are expecting to be hand picked and planted in the Superleague, where you probably expect to win the grand final.

It's all about being realistic, and your pasting yesterday was hopefully a wake up call.

I've not heard any Batley fan say we're even in with a shout of superleague. But we are right to believe in ourselves in this division. We beat everyone apart from Sheffield last season which is a great achievement. We were absolutely dire today and it's down to JK to turn that around.

FWIW I don't think the rams will get relegated this season.

#65 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I've not heard any Batley fan say we're even in with a shout of superleague. But we are right to believe in ourselves in this division. We beat everyone apart from Sheffield last season which is a great achievement. We were absolutely dire today and it's down to JK to turn that around.

FWIW I don't think the rams will get relegated this season.

Are Batley starting to get a few injures now?

#66 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

We also need someone on the field to direct the rest of the team. There was no shouting coming from Pryce yesterday. Playing Craven on the wing was an absolute waste of time. I don't understand the kicking game at all and the ball coming from half-back is slower than when we had Pat Walker playing at stand-off.  Personally I think the half-back pairing should be Brown and Coleman. We need to stick with the same team as much as we can and not chop and change it every week. 

Brown needs to be on the field from the start and keep hold of the d.amm ball when we're only on the 3rd tackle. I too think we need Lillycrop and Aizue on the field at separate times. I think Hepworth was outstanding again yesterday. 

Also I am sick and tired of going to games and seeing the ref only watch one side. Some of his decisions were diabolical and gave the advantage to workington on many occasions. Workington were playing off-side all game but neither he or his touch-judges seemed to give a ****. 

Sheffield away this week - bloody great!  :unsure:

Don't think you can blame the ref this time Eddie. Two poor teams on display today in a game where home advantage should have prevailed! Simply we are not good enough endorsed by the fact that we saw yet another second half nilling!

The crowd was as predicted and to be expected, but I can only see the crowds getting worse if there are no playing positives come from the club.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#67 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

How about making Ryan Hepworth the captain. He's a player with experience and his work-rate is second to non!

#68 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Funny you should mention fisher - I reckon we have the slowest set of outside backs since his rock bottom season. No pace, no power, and a kick chase game that has all the enthusiasm of a fat kid heading for the salad bar. Don't know what the hell is going on TBH. :huh:  

Craven to full back, Pryce and Cosgrove in the centres, Buchanan and Morton on the wings, Brown and Coleman at halves, pack as is but split Aizue and Lillycrop so there is always one of them on the pitch. Playing players out of position, constantly signing new players and expecting them to be the solution and chopping and changing every week is exactly what Andy Fisher did and it did not work, it just made things worse.

There is no excuse for a poor kicking game, it is just practice. Likewise why don't we have a set move short kick near the opposition line like Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater. Or the high kick to the corner where Buchanan and Pryce are? We are not a great side but neither are we so poor we should be relegated. But I fear our inexperience in key positions including coaching is not helping.

We need to pick our best side and stick with it and this means having some experience in key positions.

#69 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Funny you should mention fisher - I reckon we have the slowest set of outside backs since his rock bottom season. No pace, no power, and a kick chase game that has all the enthusiasm of a fat kid heading for the salad bar. Don't know what the hell is going on TBH. :huh:  

Too many changes, we never know who's playing from one week to the next. Having the same team builds consistency and if that means getting rid of the DR's then so be it!

#70 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Craven to full back, Pryce and Cosgrove in the centres, Buchanan and Morton on the wings, Brown and Coleman at halves, pack as is but split Aizue and Lillycrop so there is always one of them on the pitch. Playing players out of position, constantly signing new players and expecting them to be the solution and chopping and changing every week is exactly what Andy Fisher did and it did not work, it just made things worse.

There is no excuse for a poor kicking game, it is just practice. Likewise why don't we have a set move short kick near the opposition line like Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater. Or the high kick to the corner where Buchanan and Pryce are? We are not a great side but neither are we so poor we should be relegated. But I fear our inexperience in key positions including coaching is not helping.

We need to pick our best side and stick with it and this means having some experience in key positions.

I didn't go to the game yesterday, but from the comments made it was probably a wise decision.

Inexperience is the key, both coaching and playing. Morrison has never had this pressure, and neither has most of the players.

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#71 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

i dont understand why everytime town beat someone its always a game between 2 poor teams.ill be the 1st to admit that our away form has been poor but now thats 2 away victories which are priceless and we havent been away to barrow and haven yet which i fully expect another 6 points. if many of you travel up to derwent park you will see were anything but a poor side, ask sheffield and halifax fans.i hope yous turn your form around as i like to see the old traditional clubs like our 2 clubs survive
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#72 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Batley fans expect to be in super league ??? What a plonker you are, yes we were poor yesterday but we'll bounce back, will you, 5 straight defeats , think not.

#73 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yes wonky we are always the slightly better of two bad teams when we win. Its always we only won because the opposition were poor. I wasn't there but on the radio our defence sounded very good and if the ref Did only watch one side for offsides then things really do even themselves up over a season as its certainly happened to us at home (batley game). Sometimes you can only play as good as the opposition lets you.

Edited by town4me, 29 April 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#74 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Yes wonky we are always the slightly better of two bad teams when we win. Its always we only won because the opposition were poor. I wasn't there but on the radio our defence sounded very good and if the ref Did only watch one side for offsides then things really do even themselves up over a season as its certainly happened to us at home (batley game). Sometimes you can only play as good as the opposition lets you.

TBH, neither side are likely to be in the top 6. Workington on sunday didn't particularly look a better side than Dewsbury, player for player, but what they did have was the desire and the mental toughness to win, elements that we lacked - which is of course to towns credit and what made them deserving of the win . The daft thing is that we were within a few minutes of a win without ever looking like we would hold on - not for the first time this season. It was also predictable that we would concede the penalty that lead to the winning try through a ball steal on the last few tackles - discipline isn't our strong point. 

#75 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

TBH, neither side are likely to be in the top 6. Workington on sunday didn't particularly look a better side than Dewsbury, player for player, but what they did have was the desire and the mental toughness to win, elements that we lacked - which is of course to towns credit and what made them deserving of the win . The daft thing is that we were within a few minutes of a win without ever looking like we would hold on - not for the first time this season. It was also predictable that we would concede the penalty that lead to the winning try through a ball steal on the last few tackles - discipline isn't our strong point.

yeah i agree neither will be top 6.

#76 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

yeah i agree neither will be top 6.

dont see why not i see it being dews , town ,haven and hunslet fighting for 6th 7th and 8th spots

#77 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

dont see why not i see it being dews , town ,haven and hunslet fighting for 6th 7th and 8th spots

Six points between 6th and 14th, so we could just as easily be fighting to avoid,13th and 14th - unless there is a quick turnaround in form the latter is more likely.

#78 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Like you said you wasn't there so how can you have an opinion. 

#79 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Like you said you wasn't there so how can you have an opinion.

That's rich from Mr No Show :lol:

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#80 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

where to start

you have a team struggling at the moment, confidence rock bottom, what do you do, you put the only player who has given 100% every game on the bench, what a confidence boost that will give him.

MUST have a settled half back pair for at least 3 games, let them get used to each others game.

Thought Hepworth was man of the match and should be captain.

our forwards are poor, not doing the hard work and giving the backs a platform to launch attacks.

Why not try Pryce at loose, Craven back to full back, Brown at stand off,Coleman at scrum half.

Agree with splitting Lillycrop and Aizue but who do we play along side them.

Thought Walshaw had a decent game as well.

We have the players to succeed if used correctly.

Hopefully ...........THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER................

support the team and try to help build their confidence back up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users