EQUALITY IN THE GAME

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 bucklerscott

bucklerscott
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Great to see RFL supporting equality in the game with teams like MANCHESTER CANALSIDERS and the disabled rugby league. Are we doing enough to raise equality in the game of rugby league?

Edited by bucklerscott, 25 April 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#2 bucklerscott

bucklerscott
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Great to see RFL supporting equality in the game with teams like MANCHESTER CANALSIDERS and the disabled rugby league. Are we doing enough to raise equality in the game of rugby league?

Another point, is it important to do so or should we maybe support established clubs who are going under due to lack of money or players! they are after all our future professionals and are we spending too much time on promoting the game where it has no massive future

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

bucklerscott, on 25 Apr 2013 - 15:31, said:
Another point, is it important to do so or should we maybe support established clubs who are going under due to lack of money or players! they are after all our future professionals and are we spending too much time on promoting the game where it has no massive future

I did ponder on this and wondered why the RFL pay a person to do this type of work and then make development officers redundant when everything at the moment in these financial times seem to point towards the elite side of the game.

An example of this is the cutting of funding to Doncaster which has seen both the young development officers go before all their hard work came to fruit, They had got into every school in the district delivering coaching, I'm sure that not only the Dons but the amateur scene in the district would have benefited in time.

Edited by Marauder, 25 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Just goes to prove that the RFL is run by clowns and this is taking the equality card to far , so much for safeguarding in our sport when the RFL is promoting homosexuality .

What message is that giving to our young children, so are they saying that it is ok for a gay man to coach young children the bloody mind boggles .

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Just goes to prove that the RFL is run by clowns and this is taking the equality card to far , so much for safeguarding in our sport when the RFL is promoting homosexuality .

What message is that giving to our young children, so are they saying that it is ok for a gay man to coach young children the bloody mind boggles .

Are all gay men paedophiles then?

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Are all gay men paedophiles then?

I can see your point but I can also see that many parents would pull their kids away from a team being coached by a gay guy, sad fact but it's true. (I personally wouldn't)

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

I can see your point but I can also see that many parents would pull their kids away from a team being coached by a gay guy, sad fact but it's true. (I personally wouldn't)

Which proves the point as to why we need to educate people about equality,it's the 21st century after all.

#8 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

The RFL is actually widely regarded as one of the best of the UK sports governing bodies in terms of its equality work - they've won awards from Stonewall and others consistently for the last few years. Believe it or not, this is one area where the RFL are getting things right. There was a lot of press coverage (I know - I ran the PR campaign) when Sheffield Eagles wore the 'Homophobia: Tackle It!' shirts against Widnes (at least, I think it was Widnes) a couple of years ago. It was picked up by the Press Association and the story ran in 60 or 70 local newspapers around the country.<br /><br />I might be in a minority (though hopefully not), but I'm proud that RL is one of the most forward-thinking sports around in this regard. Contrast it with football, which is seemingly riddled with homophobia and doesn't seem to want to confront the problem.<br /><br />Also, it doesn't have to be an 'either/or' approach - the cost of the RFL employing one Equality Manager (or whatever the exact title is) isn't that high, and so far has reaped rewards. For the salary paid for this position you'd probably get one and a half community coaches (I'm not basing this on fact, just a loose knowledge of RFL pay rates from advertised roles), if that. It's a small price to pay to become more welcoming to all, which potentially could mean an increased fan base.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

The RFL is actually widely regarded as one of the best of the UK sports governing bodies in terms of its equality work - they've won awards from Stonewall and others consistently for the last few years. Believe it or not, this is one area where the RFL are getting things right. There was a lot of press coverage (I know - I ran the PR campaign) when Sheffield Eagles wore the 'Homophobia: Tackle It!' shirts against Widnes (at least, I think it was Widnes) a couple of years ago. It was picked up by the Press Association and the story ran in 60 or 70 local newspapers around the country.<br /><br />I might be in a minority (though hopefully not), but I'm proud that RL is one of the most forward-thinking sports around in this regard. Contrast it with football, which is seemingly riddled with homophobia and doesn't seem to want to confront the problem.<br /><br />Also, it doesn't have to be an 'either/or' approach - the cost of the RFL employing one Equality Manager (or whatever the exact title is) isn't that high, and so far has reaped rewards. For the salary paid for this position you'd probably get one and a half community coaches (I'm not basing this on fact, just a loose knowledge of RFL pay rates from advertised roles), if that. It's a small price to pay to become more welcoming to all, which potentially could mean an increased fan base.

Winning awards for equality work is brilliant, losing money for being found wanting in the main bread and butter areas of the game is criminal.

#10 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

By the looks of comments like this there's still work for this equality person to do

Edited by Stew R, 25 April 2013 - 07:22 PM.

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yes. The RFL are giving parents, children and the rest of the sane world the impression that it's absolutely fine for a gay man to coach young children. This is because, and I'll spell this out for you, it is absolutely fine for a gay man to coach young children.

If you want to take morals out of it, the RFL needs to be seen to be promoting equality if it wants to have access to Sport England money. They don't take kindly to governing bodies that aren't increasing participation and welcoming everyone they can into the fold - and that means getting girls & women, disabled people and the gayists to join in.

It might be politically correct and you might hate it with every fibre of your being - but if you want the money that's what you have to do.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

So its all about money , I am not labelling gay people as paedophiles , opinion is divided on the gay rights issues .

My opinion is,   i am educated enough to have an opinion .

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

So its all about money , I am not labelling gay people as paedophiles , opinion is divided on the gay rights issues .

My opinion is,   i am educated enough to have an opinion .

So why is it wrong for a gay person to coach young children?

The RFL aren't promoting homosexuality, they are saying Rugby League is an inclusive sport.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 25 April 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#14 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Just my opinion as a parent /grandparent i am not comfortable with it and it is just my opinion, is it not my right to have one ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 25 April 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Just my opinion as a parent /grandparent i am not comfortable with it and it is just my opinion, is it not my right to have one ?

Yes you are, just asking why you think it is so wrong.

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yes you are, just asking why you think it is so wrong.

Why do you think it is right ?

#17 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Taxi Egg are you involved with the juniors and youth at your club and if so do your views cover coaches at your club who may be gay or not.

There are rules for all coaches when dealing with minors like not ever been in the changing room by yourself with a minor a persons sexuality should not affect a role they can play.

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Taxi Egg are you involved with the juniors and youth at your club and if so do your views cover coaches at your club who may be gay or not.

There are rules for all coaches when dealing with minors like not ever been in the changing room by yourself with a minor a persons sexuality should not affect a role they can play.

Tbf a hetrosexual male coaching a girls' side would not be allowed in the changing rooms at all alone or not.

#19 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Tbf a hetrosexual male coaching a girls' side would not be allowed in the changing rooms at all alone or not.

Didnt know that seems funny that no team talks or anything could happen if they have a male coach

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Didnt know that seems funny that no team talks or anything could happen if they have a male coach

RFL Safeguarding Policy:

RFl DRESSING RooM polIcy
- Players should be supervised at all times in the dressing rooms by two (2) members of staff who have 
current enhanced CRB disclosures. 
- Adult staff (e.g. coaches, physios, match officials, other volunteers) should not change or shower at the 
same time using the same facility as players. 
- If you are involved in a mixed gender team, separate facilities should be made available for each gender 
and each group should be supervised by staff of the same gender.
- Volunteers should not offer to do tasks of a personal nature which a young person could do for themselves 
unless requested to do so by a parent/guardian, although, please note that some young people may need 
assistance with tying laces, fitting head guards etc)
- Parents do not have an automatic right to be present in the dressing room.
- If a young person is uncomfortable changing or showering in public no pressure should be placed on them 
to do so. Encourage them to do this at home.
- If your club has players with disabilities involve them and their carers in deciding how they should be 
assisted and ensure they are able to consent to the assistance that is offered.
- Any staff, medical or otherwise, of the opposite gender to the team, for example, a female physio 
working with a male team, must not be present in the dressing rooms whilst players are getting showered 
or changed.
- No photographic equipment should be allowed in the changing room environment. This includes cameras, 
video cameras, mobile phones with photographic capabilities etc.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users