Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

EQUALITY IN THE GAME

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Just goes to prove that the RFL is run by clowns and this is taking the equality card to far , so much for safeguarding in our sport when the RFL is promoting homosexuality .

What message is that giving to our young children, so are they saying that it is ok for a gay man to coach young children the bloody mind boggles .

Thank you to the multiple people who either hit "report" or sent me a message on this post.

I'm taking a moderating decision that I'm going to leave it as the board has very effectively self-moderated and any neutral reader would be clear as to what the majority view is and to intolerance.  The most effective antidote to intolerance is not censorship but frank discussion and confronting the silly fallacies about subjects like gay men.

It's a minority view but thankfully receding, much like the other discriminatory views.  Just think though about the progress we've made, even in the last decade alone, would we have been able to allow a thread to self-moderate on homophobia on the early days of this forum?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

One thing this country is built on is free speech , you are labelling me with a stigma when you know nothing about me, I work with gay people who do not need to be singled out to do their Job,.

Wether I right or wrong thats up for people to decide themselves but I have not breached the AUP .

We are one sport so why do we need a singular label to promote it ?

The game is fragmented enough as it is .

#23 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Winning awards for equality work is brilliant, losing money for being found wanting in the main bread and butter areas of the game is criminal.

They made some poor decisions with regards to some appointments and got their priorities wrong. Hopefully they're now addressing this.

I agree that development is vitally important, but as I said, it doesn't have to be an either/or choice
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#24 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Just goes to prove that the RFL is run by clowns and this is taking the equality card to far , so much for safeguarding in our sport when the RFL is promoting homosexuality .

What message is that giving to our young children, so are they saying that it is ok for a gay man to coach young children the bloody mind boggles .

Yes, it's OK. You are confusing being gay with being a paedophile, two completely different things.

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

One thing this country is built on is free speech , you are labelling me with a stigma when you know nothing about me, I work with gay people who do not need to be singled out to do their Job,.

Wether I right or wrong thats up for people to decide themselves but I have not breached the AUP .

We are one sport so why do we need a singular label to promote it ?

The game is fragmented enough as it is .

And the South Asia Bulls team would be the same singular label, don't you think.

#26 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

See, the reason why RL does not make the inroads that it should do has nothing to do with a poor image nationally or unwelcoming clubs run by troglodytes it is all because the RFL is throwing money at gays. You really couldn't make it up
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#27 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

unbelievable and really disappointing thread.

first of all...the developemnt staff supporting the sessions are Salford City Reds Foundation staff.  they promote RL in Mancheser, Trafford and Salford.  its a new Manchester team and hence why shouldnt it get support?  I'm not sure where the RFL bashing has come from!

second, what's it got to do with safeguarding?  its an adult team.

third. it IS perfectly OK for a gay man or woman to coach children.

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#28 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

unbelievable and really disappointing thread.

first of all...the developemnt staff supporting the sessions are Salford City Reds Foundation staff.  they promote RL in Mancheser, Trafford and Salford.  its a new Manchester team and hence why shouldnt it get support?  I'm not sure where the RFL bashing has come from!

second, what's it got to do with safeguarding?  its an adult team.

third. it IS perfectly OK for a gay man or woman to coach children.

Well said.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#29 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it many will disagree , at least I have the strength of conviction to air mine .

There is a place for everything and everything in its place.

I will apologise if any one is offended by my views .

#30 one shot

one shot
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Your views do not offend me, or indeed, the VAST silent majority!

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it many will disagree , at least I have the strength of conviction to air mine .

There is a place for everything and everything in its place.

I will apologise if any one is offended by my views .

If there was a junior team in Gareth Thomas neighbourhood and he offered to pass on his vast knowledge of rugby both league and union by offering to coach the said team, are you seriously suggesting they should tell him not to bother because he is gay, the very same person who is an official ambasador for the RWLC.

One's sexual preference is not a learned behaviour. And if the said team was a womens team, what objection would you voice then.

I am not offended but I think your mind set is somewhere in the 1920's.

#32 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

They made some poor decisions with regards to some appointments and got their priorities wrong. Hopefully they're now addressing this.

I agree that development is vitally important, but as I said, it doesn't have to be an either/or choice

I wish we could have both, but in these financially testing times IMO junior development officers would be my choice.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#33 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Yikes, I thought this was a comedy thread at first, but apparently not.

Let's all just have a big manly hug shall we?

#34 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I concede on reflection that my views are not in with modern thinking and can understand the criticism levelled at me , having now read literature on the subject matter i think it is prudent to offer my unreserved apology to anyone I have offended, sometimes your heart rules your head .

#35 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I concede on reflection that my views are not in with modern thinking and can understand the criticism levelled at me , having now read literature on the subject matter i think it is prudent to offer my unreserved apology to anyone I have offended, sometimes your heart rules your head .

I'm not offended mate, I've got a gay daughter and sister-in-law

My father hates gays (He was grabbed as a child but lucky for him his uncle was near and the rest is history)

Live and let live, I don't expect anything from a gay person and I also don't expect to give them more because they are gay.

Edited by Marauder, 27 April 2013 - 07:44 AM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#36 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

TaxiEgg, you are far from alone in having that opinion, and I'm glad to see you appear to have had a rethink on the matter.

It is sad that our sport like most other sports, is suffering in the economic climate, and therefore money has to be spread thinly, or even taken from one place to fund another, for the estimated bast impact. 

With regard to homosexuality, I will add one point to those already made. Have you ever considered the fact that some of the coaches, players, fans you know are gay, but through fear of opinion and losing the very job or sport they love and are good at, they chose to stay locked in a world of silence? I know several and sadly they feel they have to hide it.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Credit to you for thinking about what you've said and looking into things independently.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#38 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

As others have said TaxiEgg deserves credit for the considered research and rethink, it is important that we do challenge these views on here in particular as this board may be the first port of call to new players/fans in developing areas and we want to seem welcoming
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#39 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Why do you think it is right ?

What should a persons sexuality have anything to do with their ability to coach ANY side,the fact that someone is gay should not exclude them from coaching.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#40 bucklerscott

bucklerscott
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Wow, I am new to using the Total RL forum and started the post in the hope I could gain opinion on the RFL's investment into established clubs based on the Boots n All segment on Canalsiders. I am astonished it has gained so much debate. The simple truth is we sould always promote equality, whether it is race or sexuality, who cares! The more we have playing league the better, however, there is an issue still surrounding the fundemental aim or objective the RFL have; is it to increase participation at junior or senior or is it to improve, support and fund established clubs in the hope of promoting a better player pool in which we can have a stronger professional and international setup?

We will never compete with footballl, forget it, we will never change opinion in the south, forget it, we will never have devolved nations who have league as a main sport, forget it, but we will always have a strong northern and midlands participation.  So support your Rochdale's, Dudley Hills and Wigan St Patricks as this is where the future lies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users