Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos confirm date change for their 5th round (v Bradford) Challenge Cup tie

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

London Broncos have confirmed that their 5th round Tetley’s Challenge Cup tie against Bradford Bulls will take place on Friday May 10th with an 8pm kick-off. 

The change results from a clash with the rugby union 7s, and the Met Police and Augmented Safety Advisory Group decision not to allow another event to take place on the Saturday or Sunday.

The only option therefore is to play the game on the Friday night.

All junior season ticket holders can gain free entry to the game;  ticket exchanges should be done on the day of the game with a valid junior season ticket.

London Broncos media team

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

2000 crowd. 800 of them supporting the Bulls.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

You mean 80 supporting the Bulls surely?

#4 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Another reason to get the hell away from Twickenham

#5 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Another reason to get the hell away from Twickenham

Or any place that has a relatively large stadium. It seems Farnborough would be a wonderful idea after all.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Or any place that has a relatively large stadium. It seems Farnborough would be a wonderful idea after all.

Or Flamborough.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Perhaps moving to a stadium on the TUBE LINE would be an idea. Don't they know that's how most Londoners get around?

What about ground sharing with a lower-league football team like Leyton Orient or Dagenham and Redbridge?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

You mean 80 supporting the Bulls surely?

8 plus sponge fingers, surely!
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'd be surprised if this game attracted more than a 1000 crowd. As for 800 Bulls fans going down there - only slightly more than that went to Rochdale last week so I wouldn't hold your breath.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#10 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Perhaps moving to a stadium on the TUBE LINE would be an idea. Don't they know that's how most Londoners get around?

What about ground sharing with a lower-league football team like Leyton Orient or Dagenham and Redbridge?

You do realise that most Londoners(sic) do not use the tube on a regular basis (as in several times a week)? Has very little to do with being on a tube line more to do with not being able to attract people there. Getting to Twickenham from central is easy due to having excellent transport links.

Your suggestion for D&R is a strange one yes it has a tube station but the journey from central is long and problematic and Londoners using public transport would chose to take the over ground train service.

#11 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'd be surprised if this game attracted more than a 1000 crowd. As for 800 Bulls fans going down there - only slightly more than that went to Rochdale last week so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Getting to M62 grounds is problematical enough on Friday nights. For anyone holding down a job it's a non-starter for the vast majority, unless you can take a day off. I've already said on another thread that the same probably applies to many of the, on the edge of London, Bronco fans. No reflection on the club, it just can't be helped.

Edited by Bulliac, 26 April 2013 - 01:14 PM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#12 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

only problem with that being we took nealry a thousand across to rochdale last week. was announced as 977 in away stand and were a fair few bulls shirts in home stand opposite us too. only saw a handful of rochdale shirts all day.

That said can't see us taking more than 500 down to london, probably less.Poor kickoff time and only a few weeks after their late change of day and venue for the league game left a lot of bulls fans out of pocket.

#13 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

You do realise that most Londoners(sic) do not use the tube on a regular basis (as in several times a week)? Has very little to do with being on a tube line more to do with not being able to attract people there. Getting to Twickenham from central is easy due to having excellent transport links.

Your suggestion for D&R is a strange one yes it has a tube station but the journey from central is long and problematic and Londoners using public transport would chose to take the over ground train service.

Sorry but you are wrong on that one. Most Londoners do use the tube on a regular basis. Also I think being on a tube line DOES help attendance-wise. The Stoop is NOT easy to get to from central London and the train line often has problems at weekend. Its also a long walk from the station

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

only problem with that being we took nealry a thousand across to rochdale last week. was announced as 977 in away stand and were a fair few bulls shirts in home stand opposite us too. only saw a handful of rochdale shirts all day.

It's semantics to be fair - I would (and did) class that as not much more than 800. It's nothing to brag about (nor anything to be ashamed of either I will be quick to point out).

My point though is if that's the kind of following the Bulls attract at 3pm Sunday less than an hour away from home, there is no way 85-90% of the Bulls fans who went to Rochdale would make - as you point out - a far worse kick off time and destination as well as the other problems you mention. 500 is also generous IMO. Will be pleasently surprised if it is, but London are stuck between a rock and hard place.(..to get to)

Edited by Amber Avenger, 26 April 2013 - 03:36 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#15 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

It's semantics to be fair - I would (and did) class that as not much more than 800. It's nothing to brag about (nor anything to be ashamed of either I will be quick to point out).

point i was making was that you said if we took 800 down to london it wouldnt be much more than we took to rochdale when it would actually be close to 200 less. That aside I think we'll be doing well if we manage 500 at london given time and day. Quite a few people I know took a day off work for the league fixture and ended up wasting a days holiday due to the fixture change and wont do same again so soon.

Edited by matt newsholme, 26 April 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#16 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Sorry but you are wrong on that one. Most Londoners do use the tube on a regular basis. Also I think being on a tube line DOES help attendance-wise. The Stoop is NOT easy to get to from central London and the train line often has problems at weekend. Its also a long walk from the station

Spot on. I'm doing my bit to support the Broncos while I'm living here, and will be going again tomorrow. But it's hard to convince my other half to go regularly to the Stoop when it's a 90 minute journey from our place in Acton. If it were on the tube line it would take half that time- even if it were in East London
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

The Broncos, The Skolars, the RFL. SLE, the grounds trust or whatever it is called and any Government Grants or European Grants that might be available should combine their resources and buy the 8 acre or whatever it is at New River and develop a decent stadium with training facilities available to the national teams both our's and visitors and develop revenue streams from the rest of the complex to help pay for it's upkeep.

For now, with the sort of attendances the Broncos get, the current New River only slightly updated, would be big enough for now.

I understand the local council want rid and the site is reserved for sporting ventures so the cost should be less than on a buildable area.

It's a massive opportunity for both clubs, but particulalry the Broncos, to put down some permanent roots, and for RL to have a stable base in the South.

If the RFL can buy the lease to Odsal and help out Keighley and Rochdale and the old Crusaders, then this is a better opportunity than all of those former instances of RFL involvement.

Maybe, if the WC makes a healthy profit, this can be divided between the junior game, the spread of the international game and facilities purchase and upgrade.

#18 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

it's a 90 minute journey from our place in Acton

Just to be clear, good god where are you going? It is only around 30 minutes from Acton Central to Twickenham with the change at Richmond, and there are four trains per hour even on Sundays and Friday evenings.

Some people also seem to forget that half of London is not on a tube line.

#19 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

point i was making was that you said if we took 800 down to london it wouldnt be much more than we took to rochdale when it would actually be close to 200 less. That aside I think we'll be doing well if we manage 500 at london given time and day. Quite a few people I know took a day off work for the league fixture and ended up wasting a days holiday due to the fixture change and wont do same again so soon.

Ah, read the original point out. Typo. What I meant was "only slightly more went to Rochdale last week" not "Slightly more than went to Rochdale last week". I was aware of the crowd as I was there!

My fault totally, take that into consideration, we are surely singing from the same hymn sheet.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 26 April 2013 - 09:46 PM.

SQL Honours

#20 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Just to be clear, good god where are you going? It is only around 30 minutes from Acton Central to Twickenham with the change at Richmond, and there are four trains per hour even on Sundays and Friday evenings.

Some people also seem to forget that half of London is not on a tube line.

I would say that most of London is near a tune line. Its just parts of South London that dont. Its no surprise that the places that are not have tube stationd nearby dont have top class football teams nearby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users