League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos confirm date change for their 5th round (v Bradford) Challenge Cup tie

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

I would say that most of London is near a tune line. Its just parts of South London that dont. Its no surprise that the places that are not have tube stationd nearby dont have top class football teams nearby

Just to be clear, even in North London areas alternate between on the tube or normal train lines, and there is a large tubeless area of West London between the Central Line and Piccadilly Line, and in East London either side of the Central Line. This is one of the reasons for Crossrail being built to take over the local services into Liverpool Street and Paddington to upgrade the capacity on those routes.

The Broncos have averaged over 5,000 in Super League at both the Valley and the Stoop, so it is a very poor excuse to use not being on the tube as a reason for their current sub 2,000 attendances. The union club also have no problems packing out the Stoop travelling by train.

#22 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Just to be clear, good god where are you going? It is only around 30 minutes from Acton Central to Twickenham with the change at Richmond, and there are four trains per hour even on Sundays and Friday evenings.

Some people also seem to forget that half of London is not on a tube line.

How long does it take from North Acton?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#23 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

How long does it take from North Acton?

Around 45 minutes.

You can either use the tube to Richmond changing at Ealing Broadway and Turnham Green, or just walk or take a bus to Acton Central, all take around the same time.

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

you clear about that??

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#25 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Just to be clear, even in North London areas alternate between on the tube or normal train lines, and there is a large tubeless area of West London between the Central Line and Piccadilly Line, and in East London either side of the Central Line. This is one of the reasons for Crossrail being built to take over the local services into Liverpool Street and Paddington to upgrade the capacity on those routes.

The Broncos have averaged over 5,000 in Super League at both the Valley and the Stoop, so it is a very poor excuse to use not being on the tube as a reason for their current sub 2,000 attendances. The union club also have no problems packing out the Stoop travelling by train.

In 1997 Quins RU were still in a transient phase between one man and a dog and good crowds. The stadium only had one stand I think too originally. London outrated them back then but were fleeced moneywise and that allowed Quins to become a big club. Someone at London Broncos back then seemed keen to pump cash into Quins coffers. Also the crowds were still poor given the league finishes:

The Broncos averaged just over 5k at the Stoop when they came second in 1997.

They averaged over 5600 when they came fourth at the Valley in 1996.

So the move to the Stoop was a shocker as crowds plummeted despite a higher finish

On a tube line these attendances would have been greater IMO. Also they will never be bettered at the Stoop as Quins RU have sewn up the area

#26 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

Sorry but you are wrong on that one. Most Londoners do use the tube on a regular basis. Also I think being on a tube line DOES help attendance-wise. The Stoop is NOT easy to get to from central London and the train line often has problems at weekend. Its also a long walk from the station

Can you support the statement that I am wrong with some evidence? I would suggest that that you do not know London that well. There are something like 3.5 million passenger journeys on the tube daily and 1 billion yearly. That is half of the volume experienced by London public bus. So based on that alone bus would be the most common form of transport. Greater London has a population of around 8.5 million which would indicate that obviously most Londoners do not use the tube on a regular basis. Add to  that the statistic that London receives about 10 million visitors a year (whose most common form of transport is the tube) and that it has about 1 million commuters coming into London daily by public transport.national rail whereby season tickets on national rail have a 3/4 ratio of including a travelcard. Then you can add to the other factor that the busiest tube stations are almost exclusively those with heavy commuter traffic from outside London.

Twickenham is easy to get to from central London though I do remember before that you stated Waterloo was not central London but Victoria was. So your sense of geography does not match most people's definition.

Find it hard to believe you think the walk to the stoop from the railway station is a long walk. I thought Brits liked pleasant walks!

#27 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Find it hard to believe you think the walk to the stoop from the railway station is a long walk. I thought Brits liked pleasant walks!

We do. That's why we don't like the walk from Twickenham station to the Stoop!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#28 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Can you support the statement that I am wrong with some evidence? I would suggest that that you do not know London that well. There are something like 3.5 million passenger journeys on the tube daily and 1 billion yearly. That is half of the volume experienced by London public bus. So based on that alone bus would be the most common form of transport. Greater London has a population of around 8.5 million which would indicate that obviously most Londoners do not use the tube on a regular basis. Add to that the statistic that London receives about 10 million visitors a year (whose most common form of transport is the tube) and that it has about 1 million commuters coming into London daily by public transport.national rail whereby season tickets on national rail have a 3/4 ratio of including a travelcard. Then you can add to the other factor that the busiest tube stations are almost exclusively those with heavy commuter traffic from outside London.

Twickenham is easy to get to from central London though I do remember before that you stated Waterloo was not central London but Victoria was. So your sense of geography does not match most people's definition.

Most "working" Londoners use the tube.

Btw I use the tube and train to get to work, and often use the bus at weekends

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Let us look at the facts.

Here's a London Assembly report on how Londoners get to work. It has facts in it.

Here's what it says:
"By far the most popular method of travel was by car or van (39 per cent). In Outer London, this figure rose to 50 per cent, though in Inner London it was 23 per cent. The train was second (18 per cent), followed by tube (17 per cent) and bus (10 per cent)."

The rest will be cycling and walking, I guess. Some may hop and skip.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Most "working" Londoners use the tube.

Just to be clear, most train journeys do not terminate at the office so commuters will have to change onto the tube to get around zone 1. This is why the patronage is so high, it does not mean their journey is wholly made by the tube, or that it serves their home.

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,901 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I always use the bus when in London, in preference to the tube.

#32 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Back to the original topic, how come last Saturday's game at the Stoop was allowed to go ahead with a near full house in Twickers but not the challenge cup game???

#33 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Out of interest, when was this moved from?

I don't remember another date being announced beforehand

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#34 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Back to the original topic, how come last Saturday's game at the Stoop was allowed to go ahead with a near full house in Twickers but not the challenge cup game???

Because the saracens match was on Sunday

I know people complain about Twickenham being difficult to get to/from, but 24 hours should be plenty :D

Edited by brooza, 30 April 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#35 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Out of interest, when was this moved from?

I don't remember another date being announced beforehand

Just to be clear this has been the only announced date.  http://www.londonbro...hp#.UX-i-LXkt8E

- Severus, July 2012

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Army v Navy was on Saturday I believe, dunno what crowd it got though.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

you clear about that??

;)

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#38 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Just to be clear this has been the only announced date.  http://www.londonbro...hp#.UX-i-LXkt8E

Don't you start!

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Army v Navy was on Saturday I believe, dunno what crowd it got though.

Over 70k I believe.

And not just with the RU calculator.

- Severus, July 2012

#40 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Let us look at the facts.

Here's a London Assembly report on how Londoners get to work. It has facts in it.

Here's what it says:
"By far the most popular method of travel was by car or van (39 per cent). In Outer London, this figure rose to 50 per cent, though in Inner London it was 23 per cent. The train was second (18 per cent), followed by tube (17 per cent) and bus (10 per cent)."

The rest will be cycling and walking, I guess. Some may hop and skip.

Surely some drag themselves. When I lived in Putney/worked in Holborn I'd've crawled if I could.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users