TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

RLEF European Shield 2012/13 (Merged threads)

RLEF media release

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Apart from the fact that I'm pretty sure neither Serbia or Russia have ever fielded a single Australian player at any point in their history.

Serbia had an Aussie playing for them in the 2006 Europeans, which doubled up as prelim world cup qualifiers.David Milovanovic - Blacktown St Pats, Penrith. Not a top grade Aussie but still a player who was born and played his club rugby down under.

#22 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Russia were captained at the 2000 WC by Ian Rubin, an Aussie of Russian descent. I think there was another Russian Aussie in the squad too.

rldfsignature.jpg

#23 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Russia were captained at the 2000 WC by Ian Rubin, an Aussie of Russian descent. I think there was another Russian Aussie in the squad too.

There were seven Aussies in the Russian squad. Gave the usual BBC journalists plenty of licence to take the mick. Don't do it to any other sport though.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#24 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

err you're kidding right? You didn't actually miss my point surely?

Joshua Danzey played for Germany last week. He's Australian born, a Queensland Cup junior for the Sea Eagles.

#25 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

And with the fact that there have been maybe one or two Australian players tops in this tournament, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, no.

A fair number of Aussies have played in this competition over the years. Aaron de Jager,Dane Nyrinckx and Chris Hodges all played for the Dutch in 2006 in the European games.

#26 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

How are the Dutch getting on nowadays Yanto?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#27 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

They have just graduated from the RLEF technical strategy so have a small number of qualified coaches who are able to train up and qualify future coaches.On the domestic front very little is happening and at the moment the four clubs from the local competition of 2010/11/12 have all but gone and apart from training there seems to be no domestic action at all. Playing numbers are at an all time low but despite this the new organisation have ran a German development team close a couple of weeks ago,play their annual fixture v Oxford University ( in Oxford for the first time to celebrate 10 years of this fixture) and will also play Belgium under 21s (at 9's)and a Belgium senior side (full 13)later this month.

#28 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

They have just graduated from the RLEF technical strategy so have a small number of qualified coaches who are able to train up and qualify future coaches.On the domestic front very little is happening and at the moment the four clubs from the local competition of 2010/11/12 have all but gone and apart from training there seems to be no domestic action at all. Playing numbers are at an all time low but despite this the new organisation have ran a German development team close a couple of weeks ago,play their annual fixture v Oxford University ( in Oxford for the first time to celebrate 10 years of this fixture) and will also play Belgium under 21s (at 9's)and a Belgium senior side (full 13)later this month.

Disappointing for all those involved that the development work has faltered but still hope for the future.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#29 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

there was an Aussie from Hemel Stags playing a couple of years ago for Serbia too. The point that Janner is making I think is that it is good to see so little Aussie influence in these fixtures and that they are pretty much true European fixtures.

He is wrong about Italy though, they will not be good enough. The title is Russia's. 

As for qualification, they will still contest the Shield in 2014/15 with the bottom place nation to swap spots with the winner of the Bowl which will almost certainly be Germany and Ukraine respectively

#30 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

As for qualification, they will still contest the Shield in 2014/15 with the bottom place nation to swap spots with the winner of the Bowl which will almost certainly be Germany and Ukraine respectively

I thought the idea was to have P & R (no silly comments please) between the Bowl-Shield-Cup?

rldfsignature.jpg

#31 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

I thought the idea was to have P & R (no silly comments please) between the Bowl-Shield-Cup?

Indeed, but for this first season I believe that there will not be Cup promo/relegation so the comp can fall in line with the two year 4 nations cycle. Will get a confirmed answer today and let you know

#32 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

Indeed, but for this first season I believe that there will not be Cup promo/relegation so the comp can fall in line with the two year 4 nations cycle. Will get a confirmed answer today and let you know

Thanks.

rldfsignature.jpg

#33 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

Promo and relegation will take place from the start of next years competitions

#34 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

But aren't the 2014/15 EC games being used as WC 2017 qualifiers?

rldfsignature.jpg

#35 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Federazione Italiana Rugby League has announced an initial 47-man train-on squad
three weeks ahead of Italy’s competition-defining clash against Russia in the
European Shield 2012-13.

The lure of the forthcoming World Cup means that Italy assistant coach Paul
Broadbent, who resumes his control of the Azzurri’s European Shield campaign, has an
abundance of talent available. University of Gloucestershire All Golds scrum half
Matt Bradley, Hemel’s Joel Miranda and young Warrington centre James Saltenstall
headline a clutch of 11 newcomers to the squad.

“Mathew Bradley is a young halfback with the ability to organise a team very well
and with a good kicking game,” said Broadbent, who saw his side crush Germany at
home last year, but lose overseas to Serbia and Russia. “Joel Miranda is a hooker
with a wealth of experience and his game awareness will challenge teams in and
around the ruck area,” he added. While Saltenstall is joined by former Castleford
wingman Richard Lepori.

Broadbent, who will visit Italy several times to oversee elite camps and run his eye
over the domestic season continued: “The squad is looking very exciting; everyone
wants to be part of this new chapter in the rapidly expanding history of Italian
rugby league.”

“Last season was a steep learning curve for our players,” admitted his assistant
coach Kelly Rolleston who is in charge of the current domestic champions XIII del
Ducato. “I expect players like Davide Rancati, Ivan Barani, Chris De Meyer, Nourou
Bance and Giacomo Alfonsi will be much better players from the experience. With
Fabrizio Ciaurro our top performer in the European Shield now having experience in
the UK I expect him to play a big part in this year’s campaign.”

Russia’s victory in Belgrade last month means that victory in the Stadio Augusteo in
the town of Este will ensure the 2012-13 European Shield will be on the plane back
to Moscow.

ITALY 47-MAN TRAIN-ON SQUAD
Simone Boscolo, Gialuca Ferro, Alden Filipovic, Edoardo Paluello, Giacomo Simioni
(Arieti Este), Ray Nasso,  Romain Pavoni (Avignon XIII),  Luca Cenerini, Francesco
Fragalà, Thomas Piscitelli, Pierangelo Ceretti, Gerard Fraser, Cosimo Corvino,
Sebastian Gurra  (Brescia RL), Jason Dubas-Fisher (Bury Titans), Remi Fontana
(Carpentras), Fabrizio Ciaurro (Coventry Bears), Nicola Facco,  Nicola Reffo
(Grifons Padova), Joel Miranda (Hemel Stags), Christophe Calegari,  (Lezignan
Corbieres), Chris De Meyer, Gert Peens  (NW Roosters), Richard Lepori (Oldham
Bears), Mauro Pettenello (Padova 555), Jonathon Marcinczak (Racing Club Albi), Dario
Esposito (Sheffield Eagles), Chris Vitalini (South Wales Scorpions), Matthew Bradley
(University of Gloucestershire All Golds), Cedric Prizzon (Villefranche en
Rouergue), James Saltenstall (Warrington Wolves), Eugenio Alfonsi, Giacomo Alfonsi,
Nourou Bance, Ivan Barani, Fabio Berzieri, Giovanni Franchi, Octavian Ilinca, Drake
Muyodi, Fabio Nannini, Davide Rancati, Daniel Stead (XIII del Ducato), Stefano
Cardella, Riccardo Dodi, Rodrigo Marchesi (XIII del Duomo), Luca Cerza, Andrea Sola
(XIII della Ghirandina)

PHIL CAPLAN
RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#36 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

A few semi pro players there I didn't expect to see.

rldfsignature.jpg

#37 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Are they refusing to name players from the other competition? I know the other lot played an international last month as they are much better with publicity and have a competition which seems to have a much larger geographical spread. It stinks if they are picking those players, who wouldn't exist to the game but for the other comp, purely because of fighting administration.

#38 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Are they refusing to name players from the other competition? I know the other lot played an international last month as they are much better with publicity and have a competition which seems to have a much larger geographical spread. It stinks if they are picking those players, who wouldn't exist to the game but for the other comp, purely because of fighting administration.

Yes, it looks like FIRFL players aren't being considered.

#39 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yes, it looks like FIRFL players aren't being considered.

Now where have I heard that before?

rldfsignature.jpg

#40 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Now where have I heard that before?

I'm pretty sure this one is due to constitutional issues and a lack of co-operation rather than pure spitefulness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users