RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pat Richards back to West Tigers 2014

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Look at which league is buying all the over the hill Southern Hemisphere players now.

Indeed all clubs need to invest heavily in junior and youth development. This is England RLs biggest priority IMO, not just for up and coming players but coaches as well.

Far more important than shiny new stadiums

#22 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I agree westhuller, but what it needs is for other clubs to see this as well and make sure they have a youth conveyor belt that works as well. It seems, from press releases this week that Wigan and Leeds are going in different directions with regards to the NRL. Leeds (well Hetherington) have indicated they'll try to keep their youngsters to the ends of their contracts (and good on them) and Wigan have said they'll try and make money out of it by being open to offers (and its difficult to argue that logic in a sport which seems under funded).

Who knows which will turn out to be the better business logic for the next few years.

It's impossible to say at this point which strategy will work out best, but I have to say I like Wigan's approach. Lenagan has responded dynamically to what is a changed RL landscape where the reality is that big name players are going to pursue big money contracts down under. If they're going to hold out for big transfer fees and then re-invest it into youth development then in theory that should ensure they remain a power long term.

#23 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

as a replacement goal kicker expect danny tickle to return to his home town club, another addition to wanes master plan of an all home bred team.

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
And I see signs of half remembered days
I hear bells that chime in strange familiar ways
I recognise...
The hope you kindle in your eyes

#24 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I agree about the need to improve youth development but this has always been true.

I'm afraid any attempt any attempt to paint a potential player drain in a positive light is wishful thinking.

#25 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Well after lastnights game it is clear that Wigan are going to find it hard to replace a goal kicker of his quality.

#26 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

Matty Smith showed he's a good deputy kicker earlier this year, but not as good. It's not doom on that front when he goes but we'll drop points because of that.

#27 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

he'll be 32 next...has gave good service to wigan....let him go and retire to the NRL...

Have you dropped that one on the LU forums 'spud? LOL

rldfsignature.jpg

#28 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Look at which league is buying all the over the hill Southern Hemisphere players now.
Indeed all clubs need to invest heavily in junior and youth development. This is England RLs biggest priority IMO, not just for up and coming players but coaches as well.
Far more important than shiny new stadiums

Yep. The Aussies keep telling us these NRL rejects are over the hill or were never good enough when they join a SL club but they still take plenty of them back.

rldfsignature.jpg

#29 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Have you dropped that one on the LU forums 'spud? LOL

no not yet lol

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#30 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

I wish him well.

He's been a credit to his club and the sport in general.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users