Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RFL referees launch twitter account

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

#AsktheRef

Super League fans will have a unique chance to hear directly from the men in the middle after the launch of a ground-breaking new dedicated refereeing Twitter account: @RFLReferees.

Super League’s whistle-blowers will take to the social media platform every Tuesday to answer questions about the big gameday decisions, interpretations and general refereeing queries – the first time in sporting history that fans will have direct-level access to referees.

Fans with a query simply have to tweet the @RFLReferees account using #AsktheRef and each week one of Super League’s referring panel will give their insight into the reasons behind each call.

A transcript of tweets and replies will also be posted on the RFL official website, where fans can read the responses, comments and thinking behind the decisions and the men who make them.

Abusive messages and messages containing foul language will not be responded to under any circumstance.

-ends-

Nathan Clarke

Media Executive

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Brilliant idea.

However, I can see @RLMeltdown having to shut down through lack of interest - all of the idiots will be out in force on this one.
People called Romans they go the house

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Great stuff.. Lets hope they have a thick skin and a sense of  humour!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Cracking initiative from the RFL - I do hope it's not abused and becomes a success

Can you imagine if there was one for Football!!!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#5 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

First question up was from Tony Hannan about his dishwasher. Hilarious.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Good idea and good luck to them, but I fear the worst!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, this could get ugly :/

#8 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

We've got gorgeous george on sunday, i'm already struggling not to ask about how he enjoyed his time playing Beaker on The Muppets / Sesame St

#9 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Well of course it's going to get ugly, let's be honest there aren't many sensible questions that can be asked [or answered] in 140 characters, particularly on the finer points of the rules. Good idea, Wrong format.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#10 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Always assuming that this ends up being constructive rather than the usual tirade of rubbish some people tend to spout (dangerous assumption I know ;-) I wonder how long this will last before the coaches pull the plug on this as they have with other such initiatives.

#11 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Always assuming that this ends up being constructive rather than the usual tirade of rubbish some people tend to spout (dangerous assumption I know ;-) I wonder how long this will last before the coaches pull the plug on this as they have with other such initiatives.

You mean like the Video ref explaining his thoughts as he deliberates....

Edited by Bulliac, 29 April 2013 - 01:53 PM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,378 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Remember when Greg McCallum had a column in Open Rugby/RLW, responding to fans' questions about refereeing decisions? How long did that last?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

You mean like the Video ref explaining his thoughts as he deliberates....

No I mean like the Ask Stuart column.  The reason we don't hear the VR comments on SKY is because it takes away their ability to create controversy where there is none.

#14 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

I think it is an excellent idea but unfortunately one that has already been abused. The language I've seen in a lot of tweets has been disgusting. I tweet Richard Silverwood every now and again and he always replies. I suggesting that referees deserve the right to explain their decisions (almost defend themselves) and he said he'd happily get involved after he reviewed the game he officiated. As a respectful admirer of our officials I think it is worth considering.

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

In theory a great idea,that won't last long due to idiocy of some people.I suspect it will go the same way as Phil Clarke's "margin meter".

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 29 April 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#16 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

RLmeltdown having a field day, some absolute idiots posting on twitter. Will likely be removed soon.

#17 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

In theory a great idea,that won't last long due to idiocy of some people.I suspect it will go the same way as Phil Clarke's "margin meter".

Give people one chance only and if abuse occurs, block them. My mate just tweeted them to say 'Just block me now'. They obligued haha.

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Give people one chance only and if abuse occurs, block them. My mate just tweeted them to say 'Just block me now'. They obligued haha.

Why abuse them in the first place,hasn't the account been made to answer questions.Yet another outlet for  keyboard warriors to try and act tough.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Already plenty of abuse I noticed last night.

#20 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Why abuse them in the first place,hasn't the account been made to answer questions.Yet another outlet for  keyboard warriors to try and act tough.

Because you should never underestimate the predictability of abusiveness :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users