Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hornets v The Scorpions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

The non-heartland clubs have none of the baggage of fhe past, much to prove and attain and will not be pushovers as was shown yesterday.  The RFL will be ecstatic if two non-heartland clubs are promoted!  We have to get our act together consistently to earn the reward of promotion and with such a short season we need to be up and running as I thought we were with victory at Oldham.  The 70 loss to Bulls did not help.   Given the stakes, I was shocked to see the start we gave SW and all credit to Hornets for the fightback, but none for losing in the final minute.  Defence wins matches. The last minute loss will hurt and I hope that it proves the catalyst for the NW must win game and hopefully deny them a bonus point, all of which will be crucial come the end of season.   If we lose out on promotion, it will be harder still next season with the newly relegated and stronger clubs in contention.

It will not get any easier if we were promoted given the experience and growing strength of the teams therein, but we are long way off that scenario.

#22 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Huge game Sunday after yesterdays dissapointment, we cannot afford a Bradford Bulls hangover. A good week in training and im sure Taly & Matt will sort the issues out
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#23 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

http://www.scorpions...s/Article/24861

Dave Clarke says it was the strongest team Scorpions had put out all season,they had 5 duel reg from Wigan a lad on loan from Widnes.Yet we came away with a bonus point denied by a very disputed try in the last seconds that even the welsh fans thought was a clear knock on.
We did not play as well as we could in the first half playing against a very strong wind,but in the second half we came out with every thing still to play for and outplayed them.
We have played a game less than the top teams,but we can not afford to lose on Sunday our first home league match of the season,we will have to be at our best to win which I believe we can and get the season back on the road.
I said at the beginning of the season we would have to win all our home games and as many away games we could and those we lost at least get a bonus point so we are still on my target.
Biggest game of the season is on Sunday lets get behind our team.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#24 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

Our Number 1 bogey fixture alright, played 3 lost 3!

The  season  before  last, 31st July 2011  to  be  precise,  we  beat  the  Scorpions  at  Neath  13 - 6.

On  Sunday,  when  Hornets  finally  took  the lead by  28 - 24,  they  had  every  opportunity  to  kill  the  game  stone  dead  but  certain  players  took  the  wrong  options   and  forced  needless  passes  instead  of  holding  onto the  ball  and  finishing  with  good kicks.  It  was  clear  to  see  that  the  Scorpions  players  heads  had  gone  down  but  we  didnt  go  for  the  kill.

The  Scorpions  try  on  the  final  play  of the  game  was  from  a  blatant  knock on  but  rather  than  play  to  the  whistle,  Hornets  stood  and waited  for  the  referee  to  blow  for  the  infringement  that  wasnt  forthcoming.  Lets  hope  that  the  refs. decision  doesnt  come  back  to  haunt  us  at  the  end  of  the  season  and  also  that  the  players  has  learned  a harsh  lesson  from  the  game.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#25 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

The  season  before  last, 31st July 2011  to  be  precise,  we  beat  the  Scorpions  at  Neath  13 - 6.

On  Sunday,  when  Hornets  finally  took  the lead by  28 - 24,  they  had  every  opportunity  to  kill  the  game  stone  dead  but  certain  players  took  the  wrong  options   and  forced  needless  passes  instead  of  holding  onto the  ball  and  finishing  with  good kicks.  It  was  clear  to  see  that  the  Scorpions  players  heads  had  gone  down  but  we  didnt  go  for  the  kill.
The  Scorpions  try  on  the  final  play  of the  game  was  from  a  blatant  knock on  but  rather  than  play  to  the  whistle,  Hornets  stood  and waited  for  the  referee  to  blow  for  the  infringement  that  wasnt  forthcoming.  Lets  hope  that  the  refs. decision  doesnt  come  back  to  haunt  us  at  the  end  of  the  season  and  also  that  the  players  has  learned  a harsh  lesson  from  the  game.

You've hit the nail firmly on the head there O4E, as I've always said, referees give what they see in the main. It's up to players to play to the whistle and not to start claiming bias after the event.

We've both been on that side of the coin eh?

I couldn't go yesterday so all I can go off is what the people did go say, for instance the Twitter feed said we were getting caned 9-1 in the penalties but R.L.&L.E. only had the final penalty count at 7-4, sometimes we are inaccurate completely honestly.

It sounds to me like the squad did really well against a strong Scorpions team, however, it's not too late but this lesson needs to be learned very quickly as this season is extremely short and lose too much ground and you're in the brown and sticky!

I saw Rammy and some players last Friday and they were in a very good mood and dismantled a bloody big table full of grub and they all look very fit to me so that shouldn't be a worry but discipline can be. Learn the lesson qhick.

Remember we've only played two and have a win and a B.P. and in a season of 16 league games it's not bad, win next week and we can draw a line under this defeat.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#26 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

the guy who wrote the report for the LE is the Scorpions media man
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#27 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

OK Dave, but my point is still valid, I didn't mean to criticise you because on occasions I've tried to keep track of penalties and it's very difficult unless you write them down. Whichever stat is right there was a wide variation. We just can't afford to allow penalties to get into our heads.

Saints seemed to get on the wrong side of the referee in the Cup game and they suffered from it badly.

Just get your heads down and don't give the ref any easy ways to penalise by back-chatting!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#28 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

OK Dave, but my point is still valid, I didn't mean to criticise you because on occasions I've tried to keep track of penalties and it's very difficult unless you write them down. Whichever stat is right there was a wide variation. We just can't afford to allow penalties to get into our heads.

Saints seemed to get on the wrong side of the referee in the Cup game and they suffered from it badly.

Just get your heads down and don't give the ref any easy ways to penalise by back-chatting!
Agree
Pugwash.

#29 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

It  would  be  interesting  to  find  out  what  the  final  penalty  count  was as  Boro  Hornet  quite  rightly said,  the  count  was  9 - 1  in Scorpions  favour  and  that  was  in  the  first  half.  South  Wales  Angels  springs  to mind.

Another  vital  point  was  that  when  Chris  Hough  entered  the field, from the subs  bench,  Hornets  game  shifted  up a gear.

Sadly  he  was  taken  off  about  half way  through  the second  half   and  Hornets  intensity  dropped  back  a  gear...............You  dont  need  me  to  tell  you  what  Chris  brings  to  the  table.  Unless  he  was  injured, I  thought  he  would  have  been  brought  back  on  for  the  last  ten  minutes  or  so.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#30 DaveButt

DaveButt
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Very poor display from the officials again on Sunday and I am not just saying this because we lost. A couple of their fans apologised to me in the bar at the end of the game for the ref not just giving their last try, they said it was a clear knock on, but for the officials performance throughout.That apart I can't understand why, in the dying minute, we are on their ten metre line directly in front of the post and only a converted try in ahead we didn't go for the drop. Succeed and we are two scores in front and just as important, we get the ball back.
Still it's a lot easier when you are just sat in the stand. Very proud of the lads and also the great vocal support from our fans.

#31 Spotlandwatcher

Spotlandwatcher
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Cut this out now, it's against the Terms & Conditions.

Pugwash.

Edited by Pugwash, 01 May 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#32 DaveButt

DaveButt
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

If you two are going to organise a bout of al fresco fisticuffs organise it elsewhere please.

Pugwash.

Edited by Pugwash, 01 May 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#33 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

If this thread continues along this vein it will be locked.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#34 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

It  was  very  pleasing to  see  the  amount  of  Hornets  supporters  that  went  down  to  South  Wales,  the  vocal  support  from  us  was  very  impressive.

Lets  hope  that  this  level  of  support  will  continue  for the  many  long  away  games  that  we  have  remaining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users