Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow game

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

The way things are going I dont even think Morley and Briers could give us a winning edge.

Didnt go to the game, glad I didnt. So far under Gary Chambers iv seen 40 minutes of good rugby, and it was all in one game. I said when he was appointed I was willing to give him a chance. Well as far as im concerned hes had it, and hes proven he isnt the man for the job. This is based purely on the fact that weve got worse since he arrived, not even a similar standard to what Watson was achieving with the lads.

You can get everyone in rugby to quote how hes a top guy, but at the end of the day hes either not a good coach or he has no respect from the players, and it doesnt matter which, because theyre both attributes needed for it to work.

I think this coupled with the squad we have at the moment (ignoring the whole D/R thing for just a second, and looking at the players as individuals) is a recipe for relegation. Last season we came close to bottom, and instead of adding quality to that side, weve lost quality and added unproven, underdeveloped, youngsters, who I can only say at best look like they could be OK in the next 3 years. Of them all id say Jack Morrison and Glen Riley look to be the brightest talents, Rhys Williams has his moments but apart from those two I really dont see any quality at all, or at least nothing that iv not already seen in Championship one over the years (not including Dwyer as I cant see him having much involvement with our season). When we played Leigh, although it ended up a relatively close game (I think most probably down to the fact that Leigh had a bad game) it really did look like Men VS Boys on the field. 

Ive always been sat on the fence over the Warrington connection, but now I dont think its working for reasons different to others. Club politics aside, I just dont think the quality of most of the players weve had off them are good enough for this division. 

I realise that people will probably disagree with my comments, but its how I see it. Rant over.

Edited by Furryenzo, 28 April 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#22 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Wont vilify you for having a valid opinion
Vilify you for the dire little digs you had yesterday

Mark sorry for the digs last night ...never post pi**ed !

what I meant was in this current economic climate Agecroft may be too expensive....I hope im wrong for you guys but again its only an opinion (again put very badly last night!)

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#23 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

We live in hope Morty
Cheers for that.

#24 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Dave why are you muck stirring.........if they are registered D/R then they are eligible to play end of.

. It's not "muck stirring" Alan,it's promoting healthy debate.

#25 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

Is Ian Watson injured or rested.

#26 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Heard on Radio Manchester that Briers and Morley are hopeful of being fit for Warringtons cup tie with Salford on May 11th.Wonder if they will get a run out with Swinton first?

Did they mention them playing for us?
Hold your horses and wait for the 'Kick Swinton at Every Opportunity Handicap Hurdle' start line at least!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#27 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Furryenzo, 'he's had his chance'? Come on mate you cant change a squads playing habits in a couple of days!
I too am very disappointed in yesterdays result. 1, beecause I couldn't go and 2, the result. I expected closer but it seems Barrow are building a respectable home record this season.
We are still only 3points off about 7th place and apart from the top 5 teams anyone can beat anyone else on the day this year.
GC has stated he wants to build a young squad which he is doing the it seems.

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#28 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

So does anyone think the poor performance was anything to do with the fact that Ian Watson was not playing - everyone has seen that Ian has slowed down and some would say (myself included) that it is time to inject more pace into the half backs - but without him is there anyone able to motivate and push the team ?

#29 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Watto had knee surgery on Thursday.a long standing problem.

#30 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Going to the game feeling we can win,but at worst we need a bonus point
On the Barrow forums prediction thread all 16 posts are going for a Barrow win, can we match that???

Well my feelings were totally misplaced - they were based on playing a Barrow team who had been struggling and on getting to the game and looking at what seemed to be a strong line up and much bigger side, thenbeing in control for the first 15 to 20 minutes 6-0 in front, I still felt confident - what happens we fall apart, poor discipline, missed tackles and we get bossed about by a smaller set of forwards. Good win for Barrow,poor poor poor for us, not looking good.Hate to be negative about my team but need to be realistic.

#31 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

We are due a good win up there but we never really play well on that small pitch.

We won't have Danny Bridge & Glenn Riley as they are both in the Warrington Squad to play Bradford Bulls.

Whoever plays should be a tight game.

Small pitch ???????????  Are you serious ?????

It's one of the biggest (and flattest) pitches in rugby league !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wash your mouth out !!!!  :-)

Edited by Baaarrow, 29 April 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

#32 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Last season's match at Craven Park in the Northern Rail Cup had a very similar outcome (32-16 to Barrow) - so although this result seems to be viewed as a disappointing one by a lot of contributors, perhaps expectations were a bit unrealistic?

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#33 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Think the Northern Rail game last season was on the back of us playing on the Thursday night at York!

#34 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Did they mention them playing for us?
Hold your horses and wait for the 'Kick Swinton at Every Opportunity Handicap Hurdle' start line at least!

. No there was no mention of them playing for us but as both have been out for a considerable time it's surely an option?

#35 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Furryenzo I agree with everything you have said, only reason why we beat Hunslet because they are worse than us and if that game carried on for 5 mins more we would have lost it.

Enough is enough now, this whole chambers shambles is a joke, we have gone backwards since Watto stood down.  I did not go yesterday but spoke to 2 of my mates who both told me "going forward we look clueless, defence was a joke and there was no organisation". 

For me Watto should have got that job, I know what people are saying about his coaching badges, so why did he come out in the advertiser and advise "he was prepared to hang up his boots and take the role on". 

So when Mr Kidd came out and said "he has recieved 11 apllications or whatever the amount was"that this guy is the best out of them, because if he is I would hate to see the rest of the calibre applying to manage our great club.

Our great club is in a very dark place at the moment and don't see how we are going to get out of it,  there is nothing positive coming out the club from Agecroft, there has not even been an update for months.  We have a chairman who thinks its ok to keep his fans in total darkness and not talk to us.  This somes up our club at the moment, them versus us.

We beat Hunslet then have 2 winable games against Barrow and Whitehaven on Thursday.  We should be bouncing about, energy levels massive with the thought of winning 3 games on the bounce.  What happens we got battered by barrow and also our confidence has took a hammering for Thursday, not good.

I also take on board about the team and not changing things overnight but after the amount of games he has had in charge, I can not think of any improvments to the team since he took over.  Every department in our game has gone down hill since he has come in.  Time for him to go now whilst we have time left in the season.  Give the job to Watto.

#36 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Think the Northern Rail game last season was on the back of us playing on the Thursday night at York!

That doesn't auger too well for this Thursday night then with two games in just over four days!

#37 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Furryenzo, 'he's had his chance'? Come on mate you cant change a squads playing habits in a couple of days!
I too am very disappointed in yesterdays result. 1, beecause I couldn't go and 2, the result. I expected closer but it seems Barrow are building a respectable home record this season.
We are still only 3points off about 7th place and apart from the top 5 teams anyone can beat anyone else on the day this year.
GC has stated he wants to build a young squad which he is doing the it seems.

Dont believe in fairytales because of whats said in the press. Need I remind you of the countless stories and interviews Paul Kidd had in the advertiser over the years about his views and opinions on the future of the team under his coaching?

I believe hes had his chance due to the fact that the team has worsened under him. If they had stayed at the same level, then at least you could say hes still got the respect of the players. This isnt the case and as iv previously mentioned.

• No cohesion in the squad due to D/R
  • Clearly no ability/respect with regards to Chambers
  • Our championship side has slowly fell apart and not been replaced with any quality.

So to summarise we have no squad stability, a poor coach and below par players. Im not saying were going to get relegated, but id be surprised if we dont.

But regardless il be there on Thursday cheering on the Lions, living in hope they can prove me wrong!!!

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#38 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Good weekend up in the Lakes spoiled by a very apathetic display on the pitch. It was that embarrassing that I felt I should give back the £15 entry fee to each of my three mates that I took along. Good job the real ales back in Ambleside were on top form to help us drown our sorrows!

#39 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I just love reading forums  - According to Barrow fans they were outstanding, according to Swinton fans we were "poor poor poor". Perhaps we just met them on the wrong day. :huh:

Having seen the video highlights, the defence looked shocking - large gaps and players getting run over out wide. Difficult to say from highlights but looks like we were dominated.

I must say I was concerned when we only had Mills as a recognised prop and the new lad Jack Cooper from the bench. Seems that the "tactic" of having two props on the pitch and two on the bench is no longer favoured and with it we are on the back foot against teams.

Hawkyard, McCarthy, Clarke, Sarsfield are all second row forwards I understand... and Mills is not going to do a full 80 mins.

Anyway - I did not go to Barrow so feel free to correct me

Onward and upwards - a win on Thursday will put us 7th and in a play off position by Thursday night :ph34r: ..... just need to win it.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#40 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Some very weak defence shown in those highlights of the barrow game especially down the left where Kurt Haggerty seemed to walk through quite easily.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users