Barrow game

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

I just love reading forums  - According to Barrow fans they were outstanding, according to Swinton fans we were "poor poor poor". Perhaps we just met them on the wrong day. :huh:

Having seen the video highlights, the defence looked shocking - large gaps and players getting run over out wide. Difficult to say from highlights but looks like we were dominated.

I must say I was concerned when we only had Mills as a recognised prop and the new lad Jack Cooper from the bench. Seems that the "tactic" of having two props on the pitch and two on the bench is no longer favoured and with it we are on the back foot against teams.

Hawkyard, McCarthy, Clarke, Sarsfield are all second row forwards I understand... and Mills is not going to do a full 80 mins.

Anyway - I did not go to Barrow so feel free to correct me

Onward and upwards - a win on Thursday will put us 7th and in a play off position by Thursday night :ph34r: ..... just need to win it.

Don't wish to take anything away from what was a well deserved win for Barrow and if they assess their teams performance as outstanding, all credit to them for backing their side but I can say we were 'poor,poor,poor'.

#42 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Mark sorry for the digs last night ...never post pi**ed !

what I meant was in this current economic climate Agecroft may be too expensive....I hope im wrong for you guys but again its only an opinion (again put very badly last night!)

Agecroft is deffo a pipe dream on these accounts.

#43 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Last season's match at Craven Park in the Northern Rail Cup had a very similar outcome (32-16 to Barrow) - so although this result seems to be viewed as a disappointing one by a lot of contributors, perhaps expectations were a bit unrealistic?

Very good point Phill. Craven Park (Barrow) is always a tough place to go expecting to come away with something.

#44 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Just seen the match highlights - surely the team cannot be that bad again on Thursday evening...............oh well we will soon find out...............

#45 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

That doesn't auger too well for this Thursday night then with two games in just over four days!

. At least it will be the same for Whitehaven as they had a game yesterday.Also travelling from Cumbria in the week isn't the best journey to have to make so that may give us an advantage.I rate this game as the most important game so far this season! I think if we lose we are in big trouble!

#46 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Phil H - spot on. After seeing Barrow run Leigh so close I was never confident of a win in Cumbria. A bonus would have been nice though!

I pretty much agree with Furryenzo. Maybe slightly too soon to say, but if we leave it too long then we'll be back in C1. Let's hope we're much happier on Thursday night!

#47 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Our great club is in a very dark place at the moment and don't see how we are going to get out of it, there is nothing positive coming out the club from Agecroft, there has not even been an update for months. We have a chairman who thinks its ok to keep his fans in total darkness and not talk to us.  This sums up our club at the moment, them versus us.

Yes, it's all gone mysteriously quiet on the Agecroft front and it doesn't help by being kept in the dark about it. The fans' patience on this, easily the biggest thing in the club's history since the loss of our sacred Station Road home in '92, is wearing very, very thin indeed - and - it's very worrying because we ALL want (and NEED) it to succeed.

#48 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Gary Chambers has given an honest reflection on yesterday's game on the Club site. 

The biggest disappointment for me was, as GC states, the lack of spirit shown by many of our players once we started to slip behind (the Hawkyards and a couple of others excepted).  We had looked the better team in the first 20 minutes but once Mossop came on and injected loads of pace, committment and skill at the play the ball Barrow grew in confidence their forwards made telling breaks with players in support and ripped us to shreds at times. Their lads were still making yards with 2 or 3 of ours trying to get them to ground. 

We were disorganised again with 3 new players in the team and perhaps missing Watson's influence on the pitch.  (Tyrone McCarthy is off to Cas on loan as well now not helping with any team selection consistency.)  But where is Gary Chambers when things are going wrong?  On maych day he is noticable by his abscence.  He may want to get a better overview of the game from somewhere in the stands and communicate with Marlon Billy by electronic means but I'd like to see him on the touch line sometimes especially when things are not going well.  I'd like to see him with the players at the start and end of the match too. 

I think it's too soon to be calling for his head and I don't think even more disruption will do us any good but the coach has got to get a settled team playing with commitment and spirit at the very least or we will be in the mire.  At the moment it's all still very close at the bottom of the table but we need to showing considerable improvement quickly.

There is another meeting this Friday I believe between the Kidds and the Council regarding Agecroft.  Why the Club fail to tell the supporters about these ongoing efforts to bring the new ground to fruition is a mystery to me.  Perhaps there are discussions that cannot be detailed to one and all but not to let us know that meetings are taking place is daft and just provides ammo for the doom mongers to say that nothing is happening when efforts are still ongoing.

Here's hoping for a win and a much improved performance on Thursday.

#49 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Why the Club fail to tell the supporters about these ongoing efforts to bring the new ground to fruition is a mystery to me.  Perhaps there are discussions that cannot be detailed to one and all but not to let us know that meetings are taking place is daft and just ammo for the doom mongers.

I think we have to understand that nothing will satisfy a Doom monger on here. They have their belief and they stick to it and no amount of words will ever change that. If I was the Kidds I would probably not say anything to avoid it being thrown back in my face and twisted against me.

Actions speak louder than words but sensible words need to come before actions.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#50 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

He may want to get a better overview of the game from somewhere in the stands and communicate with Marlon Billy by electronic means but I'd like to see him on the touch line sometimes especially when things are not going well.  I'd like to see him with the players at the start and end of the match too. 

Very good point here. Totally agree.

However.

You do get a much better view of the match from a point of some elevation (as in the stands). I have never watched a game from ground level for this reason. Going back to days when Station Road used to host Test matches etc, they had wooden forms along the cinder path against the wall and close to the touchline advertised as "Ringside seats" which cost more than standing on the terraces. Dreadful place to see any action and paying extra too.

But, GC is the coach, not one of the fans and should always be ON-THE-BENCH with his players and staff, not communicatiing via walkie-talkie with his 2nd in command Marlon Billy. He should quickly realise that the need for good coach-player communication is vital during the hurly-burly of a match and the BEST way to do this is FACE-TO-FACE.

Are you reading this, Gary?

#51 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

There is another meeting this Friday I believe between the Kidds and the Council regarding Agecroft.  Why the Club fail to tell the supporters about these ongoing efforts to bring the new ground to fruition is a mystery to me.  Perhaps there are discussions that cannot be detailed to one and all but not to let us know that meetings are taking place is daft and just provides ammo for the doom mongers to say that nothing is happening when efforts are still ongoing.

It sounds a bit like the old joke of "more 'meetings' than Haydock Park".

Also, can someone please explain why when reading about these club-council "meetings" the only scenario that enters my head is, is the meeting only really about whose turn it is to buy the biscuits to go with the tea/coffee and whether or not they should be custard creams or chocolate digestives?

Still, I suppose we'll just have live in hope.

:rolleyes:

#52 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

It sounds a bit like the old joke of "more 'meetings' than Haydock Park".

Also, can someone please explain why when reading about these club-council "meetings" the only scenario that enters my head is, is the meeting only really about whose turn it is to buy the biscuits to go with the tea/coffee and whether or not they should be custard creams or chocolate digestives?

Still, I suppose we'll just have live in hope.

Or even the garibaldi biscuits!

:rolleyes:

#53 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

I've just read in today's League Weekly that Ian Watson is out for 5 weeks after knee surgery on Thursday.  Not great news if accurate,

#54 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

It is accurate Ian needed to have the operation due to ligament damage.

I've just read in today's League Weekly that Ian Watson is out for 5 weeks after knee surgery on Thursday.  Not great news if accurate,

#55 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I didnt go on Sunday because I was at work.

I cant comment on the performance. I have to say its a long time since we played well,either under Ste Mc,Watto or Gary Chambers. Yes there have been gutsy ground out victories and some brave defeats but we are going back to Featherstone and Halifax at home last year when we were robbed/unlucky to lose both games to remember any real committed quality rugby being played. 

And yes Ive enjoyed many matches too and praised many performances before someone tracks back through all my posts and tries to make me look stupid.

Having said all that I do NOT think Mr Chambers has had his chance. Hes not been in charge five minutes and it takes time to get a team playing your way. I do not think Warrington would have employed him either if he wasnt any good.

So I am prepared to give it a little longer. Let Harvey get fit. Stop putting Ainscough on the bench and see what happens.

#56 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Agreed Mark.
We have two good young half backs with Gareth and Craig but hey will need time together and a dominant pack to play behind. The availability of only 2 props will not help!

And it doesnt matter where the coach sits as long as he gets the massage across!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#57 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Bloody hell coach and masseur he's got his work cut out.:-P

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#58 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi guys, just thought id interject into this topic. Having worked with Gary Chambers, both as a player, and later as his assistant coach whilst at Warrington Wolves U21's, I can firmly state how good a coach this guy is, his man management is second to non, and whilst things may not be going to plan on the field for you guys at the moment, stick with Cham, he is the guy to get you out of this hole and back on track. Several years ago, Chambo was offered the chance to go to Saints as assistant coach to Daniel Anderson which he rejected to stay with his role at Warrington Wolves, cause he believed in the ethos of the team, an ethos that he is now bringing to the Lions I have no doubt. He is surrounding himself with young lads whom he has either coached in the past, or close friends have coached and recommend highly. As a Barrow fan myself, I would love to see him at the helm of my club, but being a Haven lad, and proud of it he wont.
When I worked alongside Chambo as his assistant, he viewed the game from the stands and passed messages down to myself via radio for me to communicate. This vantage point allows him better scope and perspective over the field, which the players, if not the fans understand. I can assure you, the players will have felt the wrath of Cham, both after the game, in the video review and in this weeks training sessions. In Chambo we trust

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#59 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ok I agree with the above post some very valid points made lets see if he can get us out of the hole were in. Fingers crossed.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#60 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

In addition to the fact Gary Chambers has not been in post very long, there is a bigger issue - beyond the question of whether the players have respect for the coach is the question of whether the players have respect for the club.

Its next to impossible for any coach to develop a successful team, if the circumstances are a significant number of players coming and going every few weeks, with no certainty as to how long any of them will be available to the Lions.  That's on top of an apparent obligation to give clippits of game time to Warrington Wolves established first team players that are either on the fringes of Tony Smith's selection policy or returning from injury; not done on the basis of what is good for Swinton, but on the basis of what suits Warrington.

Getting fleeting access to some ambitious young players that are training full time and have sufficient natural ability to aim for a career in Super League is one thing; knitting them into an effective team for the purposes of taking Swinton Lions forwards is an entirely different thing.

Its clear Gary Chambers isn't the one taking the key decisions on these club policies.  The very fact he was given the job of coach coming from the background he did is arguably just one more part of the overall, badly flawed, "master plan".

Edited by PhillH, 30 April 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users