Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I'd love to have Kyle Eastmond back playing Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

I have no idea if it's true or not but rumours abound on Twitter that Kyle Eastmond wants to return to RL.

It wold be great to have him back in the sport, he was immensely talented, O.K he was nowhere near the finished article but another 2 years or so and I think he would've stood alongside Sam Tomkins as the two big superstars of the sport over here. He had everything long and short kicking game, passing off both hands, attacking skills etc he just needed to learn his trade for another couple of years in order to fulfill his potential. 

He would also be the missing link for the England half back spot me thinks. 

Let's just hop he is on Salford's hitlist of new signings, he's a local lad and would fit in well at the new set up. 

#2 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

He could be a real crowd pleaser at fullback.....if he's fit

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I week or so ago i saw a RL player retweet one of Kyles tweets, so had a gander at his account, and all he was tweeting about was RL.. i guess its natural if like the rest of us he's a fan of the game, but, maybe he's missing RL..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

He could be a real crowd pleaser at fullback.....if he's fit

He could play fullback yes but he has all the ingredients to be a top class scrum half.

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Like Sonny Bill Williams, he walked out on the game with no loyalty for the almighty lucre. Personally, I would say that he made his bef, let him lie on it, but I guess, like SBW, he will be welcomed with open arms.

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Like Sonny Bill Williams, he walked out on the game with no loyalty for the almighty lucre. Personally, I would say that he made his bef, let him lie on it, but I guess, like SBW, he will be welcomed with open arms.

Is this an actual, serious post or is it an ironic parody of a pre-1995 rugby union dinosaur?

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

So people aren't allowed to make career decisions? He hardly told RL to f*ck off or left in disgrace, did he?

Archaic, unproductive attitude there.
Posted Image

#8 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

I have no idea if it's true or not but rumours abound on Twitter that Kyle Eastmond wants to return to RL.

It wold be great to have him back in the sport, he was immensely talented, O.K he was nowhere near the finished article but another 2 years or so and I think he would've stood alongside Sam Tomkins as the two big superstars of the sport over here. He had everything long and short kicking game, passing off both hands, attacking skills etc he just needed to learn his trade for another couple of years in order to fulfill his potential. 

Let's just hop he is on Salford's hitlist of new signings, he's a local lad and would fit in well at the new set up. 

You remember a very different Kyle Eastmond to me, he was an exciting broken field runner but as for all the other skills on your list, he was woefully short of international standard and barely up to SL standard.

His attitude seemed very questionable and he was quite injury prone for a young player especially one who didn't play in the forwards and largely avoided big collisions.

He was a work in progress and may well have improved but he was nowhere near international scrum half material

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Would like to see him back, along with anyone else who wants to play our sport, but I'm not convinced he is the answer to any halfback problems we may have.

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Like all rugby league fans I'd love to see kyle eastmond back in league where his skills and natural talent are suited and would flourish but at the moment from what I gather he's progressing nicely in union, earning rave reviews at club level and being sounded out for international honours(Saxons). On a side note I thought kyles last 12-18 months at saints didn't help, very much like Sam Tomkins eastmonds style is a unorthodox and unpredictable and saints tried to move him away from that and into a more structured player in the mould of Sean long and bobby goulding.

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Jus like Sam, he'd be a great modern fullback in the Matt Bowen mould

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

He could play fullback yes but he has all the ingredients to be a top class scrum half.

Totally agree but like for example johny Lomax or Sam Tomkins he's not your typical well structured and engine room link man scrum half, he's very unorthodox and unpredictable(which is good) and would need to be partnered up with a stand off who was.

#13 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Are you his Agent , you should be , you had me reaching for the Dr's Chequebook for a minute .. :) but yes I wouldn't be surprised if Salford - Wigan - Saints or any other cashed up SL  were keeped tabs on his progress should he get cold feet in the west country .

Kyle came out of the same school as Jordan Turner , and I think got his head turned by  Chris Ashton- Stephen Myler  RU moves ,

I guess nearly 2 yrs away from the hustle & bustle of SL as a pivotal player , being stuck out on the Wing at the Rec , with just a Saxons appearance?  

His Current Deal with Bath has another RU season to run - June 2014

Had he stayed in RL , I doubt he would have been on a par with Tomkins as the poster -boy of SL , but he would have been amongst the top names had he stayed injury free , and we wouldn't have been ' d**king around making Chase English to fill a half back spot in the England Squad .

the Cynic in me suspects if there is a latent desire to suddenly return to SL ,it's with  one eye on the increasing value of NRL contracts & lifestyle in Sydney & the Goldcoast .

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Jus like Sam, he'd be a great modern fullback in the Matt Bowen mould

Agreed, or like an earlier version of rob burrow at scrum half, running at big forwards in the middle and creating gaps with his great footwork and explosive speed.

Edited by walter sobchak, 26 April 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

So people aren't allowed to make career decisions? He hardly told RL to f*ck off or left in disgrace, did he?

Archaic, unproductive attitude there.

He is, of course, allowed to make career decisions. Having deserted RL for RU, if it's not quite what he hoped, why should the game welcome him back.

He did sulk off, playing out his contract in a lacklustre fashion and going throught the motions. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Saints offer him a decent contract and he made his career decision and left anyway. Why should the game bail him out.?

The minute he got back to some form and a cheque book was waved in his direction, he would return to RU or to the NRL

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

He is, of course, allowed to make career decisions. Having deserted RL for RU, if it's not quite what he hoped, why should the game welcome him back.

He did sulk off, playing out his contract in a lacklustre fashion and going throught the motions. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Saints offer him a decent contract and he made his career decision and left anyway. Why should the game bail him out.?

The minute he got back to some form and a cheque book was waved in his direction, he would return to RU or to the NRL

Hang on, is this a wind-up or not?? I'm getting confused now!

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Meh.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#18 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

I reckon Eastmond to Wigan as a replacement for Tomkins in 2014.

#19 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

You're talking like "the game" is a single entity. Clubs would "bail him out" because he's a really good player and would add value to every team in the SL and quite a few in the NRL.

Do you really think that clubs subscribe to your weird notion of morality, whereby if a player decides to try his hand at union he is some kind of Judas and is not worthy of consideration? I think teams have to be a bit more pragmatic than that.

Edited by The Big Gun, 26 April 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Would like to see him back, along with anyone else who wants to play our sport, but I'm not convinced he is the answer to any halfback problems we may have.

I think when you've got options of a Golden Boot winner, an NRL winning Aussie-based stand off, a former Man of Steel and the in form half back in SL then you've got to question whether we actually have a problem! It's a case of the coach picking the right two!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users