I'd love to have Kyle Eastmond back playing Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Eastmond would be a fantastic signing for Saints NOW, got to be better than Wilkin and Wello at half back. Could be best scrum half option for England alongside Widdop at stand off. Brough is a Scotland player and Sinfield is no answer. Might even go Lomax at full back and tomkins at half back.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#22 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

That's not a bad call. The prospect of a late World Cup bid may well be tempting too

#23 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'd have him back in the game in a heartbeat.

Posted Image

#24 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

That's not a bad call. The prospect of a late World Cup bid may well be tempting too

If Eastmond could come back for Saints this year and get into the England WC squad in the space of six months (in a position where - I'm agreement with Wellsy - for the first time in a long time, we ain't exactly short of available talent) then he would surely be in line to be one of the all time greats in a few years. As it stands I'm slightly sceptical.

If he wants to come back to our sport, great. But I think he'd struggle to get to grips with Saints at the moment, let alone England in a few months. Not to say he shouldn't come back, but he'd be over-reaching with that ambition IMO.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 26 April 2013 - 10:04 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#25 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Eastmond would be a fantastic signing for Saints NOW, got to be better than Wilkin and Wello at half back. Could be best scrum half option for England alongside Widdop at stand off. Brough is a Scotland player and Sinfield is no answer. Might even go Lomax at full back and tomkins at half back.

Can't see him back to Saints at all, I think a lot of bridges would have to be rebuilt between Eastmond and the senior management for that to happen. On top of which unless he waits until his Bath contract expires, some kind of hefty transfer fee would have to be paid which is not something Saints are keen on doing it seems.

If he does come back to RL, it will be one of Warrington, Wigan or Salford, with the latter surely having the edge in ability to pay a big fee.

#26 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Wigan will be able to pay him the "big money not included on the salary cap special dispensation sky sports guest presenter fee" that Tomkins gets.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#27 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

how is he actualy doing in ru ? is he thriving or flopping or just an ordinary team member, do we know?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Wigan will be able to pay him the "big money not included on the salary cap special dispensation sky sports guest presenter fee" that Tomkins gets.

can you be more specific?

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'd have him back in the game in a heartbeat.

Absolutely. Especially given some Andy Gregory one-to-one scrum half coaching.

#30 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

The first time I saw him play v Wigan at Saints in the 2009 play-off I was very impressed.  He partnered Tomkins at Elland Road in 2009 v Oz and had a good game too. I'd like to see him back in RL. Perhaps if Saints re-sign him for next season he could come on loan to Fev to re-acclimatise himself! ;)

Edited by Trojan, 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#31 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

how is he actualy doing in ru ? is he thriving or flopping or just an ordinary team member, do we know?

I'd love to see him back in RL because it would weaken Barf. Wasn't that impressed with Eastmond when I first saw him but he has progressed into a very fine centre. He has a similar effect that Jason Robinson had, when he gets his hands on the ball there is a sense of anticipation of what he's going to do. If I was Lancaster I'd have him on the plane to Argentina this summer.
Fides invicta triumphat

#32 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

get him back to greater Manchester DR Koukash, salford is calling!!! be great for rl. 

Dr koukash said he wants to spend the salary cap, this will be one player to put towards that.

Edited by shun, 28 April 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

So people aren't allowed to make career decisions? He hardly told RL to f*ck off or left in disgrace, did he?

Archaic, unproductive attitude there.

He did finish up leaving under a bit of a cloud, his attitude didn't seem to good when it was announced he was going.

Maybe if he had focused on the job he was currently employed to do and set his heart on going out with a bang people may feel differently. 

I would never deny him the choice to play whatever code he wished, but I would be wary of his commitment.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

There could be more to this story if you look at goings on at Bath.

Eastmond has been playing in the centres (mainly at inside centre so more of a second stand off), occasionally on the wing and the club had said they wanted to get him working more closely in the breakdown area (i.e. ruck area).By all accounts he has formed a good centre combination with the former England second rower/ turned centre Banahan.

However, Bath's recruitment for next season is interesting. Mike Ford's son, George is moving to the club from Leicester and plays stand off. I know he is replacing the outgoing All Black Donald but still, George Ford is rated very highly in RU and he will be moving to get game time (something he hasn't got at Leicester). Bath are also interested in taking on Gavin Henson and see him as inside centre playing the second stand off role. They already have a healthy stock of wingers and I can't see Kyle being happy to play second fiddle to someone like Henson who is a player that needs to start (if only to justify his no doubt massive salary).

His contract runs out in June next year and it will be interesting to see what moves Bath make in the next few months to tie him down to a longer deal. If that doesn't happen then maybe we will see him back up North. After all he wouldn't be the first RL player to have gone to Bath and then come back up the M5/ M6 fairly soon after.

As I have previously said, I just can't see him back at Saints. Salford or Wigan, both clubs who have publicly said they are looking to recruit from RU would seem the most likely destinations.

#35 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Eastmond wont come back to SL, surely no club would be willing to match what he earns in union, particularly on someone who has been out of the game for a few years, didn't exactly leave on a high, is seriously injury prone and never really fulfilled the potential he showed as a teenager. 

#36 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Eastmond wont come back to SL, surely no club would be willing to match what he earns in union, particularly on someone who has been out of the game for a few years, didn't exactly leave on a high, is seriously injury prone and never really fulfilled the potential he showed as a teenager. 

100% correct.

#37 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I thought his contract at Bath wasn't that large and that Saints had offered him roughly the same to stay. I might have remembered that wrong or maybe he signed a new contract.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#38 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I thought his contract at Bath wasn't that large and that Saints had offered him roughly the same to stay. I might have remembered that wrong or maybe he signed a new contract.

According to the Saints board both offers were about the same.

#39 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

I would be happy enough to see him in our game again. Looking how Thornley is going, he has come back a decent player. I understand SBW has slotted back into the NRL ok, so maybe they're generally fitter than they used to be (though how fit you have to be to watch goal kicking?). Pretty much any club would sign him. Given that Bath is a more expensive part of the world, I would have thought a number of clubs could offer him something that would be at least as good - surely a top of the market SL player gets a comparable amount to a squad unionista? Their SC may be higher, but they need to pay far more of them.
Assuming Powell gets Hock's money, then without Richards, Mossop, Gelling and rumour has it, Lauaki, Wigan should have some cash to spend, even with (rightly) upgrading Faz, Burke etc's contracts.

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

he burned all his bridges with saints so he would never be welcomed back there......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users