Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I'd love to have Kyle Eastmond back playing Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Eastmond would be a fantastic signing for Saints NOW, got to be better than Wilkin and Wello at half back. Could be best scrum half option for England alongside Widdop at stand off. Brough is a Scotland player and Sinfield is no answer. Might even go Lomax at full back and tomkins at half back.

ever heard of richie myler and stefan ratchford?
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#42 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

I thought his contract at Bath wasn't that large and that Saints had offered him roughly the same to stay. I might have remembered that wrong or maybe he signed a new contract.

That's how I remembered it also
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#43 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

According to the Saints board both offers were about the same.

Indeed his move did seem more about having a crack at playing RU than earning buckets more cash at club level. Obviously the money would really start rolling in were he to make the England RU squad and although he has featured for the Saxons (so England Knights level), he would still be some way off the top squad. Will be interesting to see whether he is chosen for the tour to Argentina this summer, if he isn't then he could be on his way back North.

So to summarise, he isn't earning significantly more than he was offered at Saints which was a good deal less than Tomkins is currently on at Wigan who I think will snap him up next year and pay him what they are currently giving Sam once he goes South. And Lenegan will then move Eastmond onto the NRL a couple of years later bagging a decent transfer fee for the club!

Edited by foozler, 29 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#44 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

ever heard of richie myler and stefan ratchford?

Yes, inconsistent in comparison to Eastmond when he played at his peak
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#45 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Eastmond wont come back to SL, surely no club would be willing to match what he earns in union, particularly on someone who has been out of the game for a few years, didn't exactly leave on a high, is seriously injury prone and never really fulfilled the potential he showed as a teenager. 

Agree completely.  I don't have any hard feelings towards him over the manner in which he left, but my main memories of him are ones of frustration because he never developed into the player that we hoped he'd be.  I guess time is still on his side though.

I'd be surprised to see him return to League, and if he did then unless he's been ripping it up in Union (wouldn't know because I don't follow it) then I can't see his signing striking fear into other teams across the league.  He'd be a big gamble given the money he'd want.

#46 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

I was disappointed when Eastmond went to union, not just because I had found him to be a really exciting player, somebody who you would actually pay to see but because also of the way he rather limped out of the game once his decision had been made.  I fancied that in years to come he had the potential to be talked about in the same way we talk about Andy Gregory, Sean Edwards,  Ellery Hanley etc.

I'd love to see him back, training hard and working on his game.  It's always a shame when a player has their head turned by money to go and play what is to me an inferior sport.  Even if he never hit the heights that he may have done, he's still a young man and could turn out to be a very decent player indeed.

There's no guarantee he would have gone on to greatness, but I thought he was a tremendous prospect who had yet to mature fully physically and settle down to his best position (s).  I'd love to have him back in the game, but if he only wants to come back for the money, then he'd be better off staying put in union.

There was at one time talk of him coming on loan to Wakefield from Saints for the remainder of his contract once he'd announce he was leaving, and I think that would have put a thousand on the gate.  Those that seek to deride the lad should consider whether they think regular internationals of recent years like Ablett, Sinfileld, and Shenton would have got people as excited.  I don't think anyone could argue that he was the finished article, but boy was he exciting.

It's a buyer beware market though, not many have made the return from union and had instant success.  They're usually slower, heavier (and not in a good way), and need to learn their craft again.  Lee Smith at Wakefield for instance still has that knack of scoring tries but he's not a patch on the lad that seemed to have it all that night at Old Trafford not so long ago. 

Edited by Larry the Leit, 29 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users