Discipliniary (In)Action

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

What are the rules on on field discipline or lack thereof?

We have three actions a ref can take.
A) Sin binning (10 minutes).
B) Sending off. (The rest of the game).
C) Putting on report. The judiciary then looks at it and imposes (or not) a ban on player playing for x number of matches.

Thoughts:
1) A and B Penalise the offenders team and advantage the team sinned against. A good outcome in my view.
2) C Allows the player to continue and there is no penalty to the team. Not good. But the judiciary can ban the offender for a number of weeks depending on the severity of the offence. Good.

Questions:
1) Can a player who is sent off be brought before the judiciary? e.g. someone doing a Luis Suarez / Mike Tyson or spear tackles like the 4 Greg Inglis endured in the Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs match yesterday.
If they can there should be no hesitation in sending offs. If they can't then the rules must change as they may inhibit refs using actions A and B.

Edited by kiwityke, 26 April 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#2 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

What are the rules on on field discipline or lack thereof?

We have three actions a ref can take.
A) Sin binning (10 minutes).
B) Sending off. (The rest of the game).
C) Putting on report. The judiciary then looks at it and imposes (or not) a ban on player playing for x number of matches.

Thoughts:
1) A and B Penalise the offenders team and advantage the team sinned against. A good outcome in my view.
2) C Allows the player to continue and there is no penalty to the team. Not good. But the judiciary can ban the offender for a number of weeks depending on the severity of the offence. Good.

Questions:
1) Can a player who is sent off be brought before the judiciary? e.g. someone doing a Luis Suarez / Mike Tyson or spear tackles like the 4 Greg Inglis endured in the Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs match yesterday.
If they can there should be no hesitation in sending offs. If they can't then the rules must change as they may inhibit refs using actions A and B.

Yes a player sent off can also receive a further ban from the NRL/RFL.

#3 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

In light of everything else in that game it will be 'interesting' to see what the match review gnomes do with the shoulder charge GI did on Williams in stopping the try attempt.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#4 Bmullins

Bmullins
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

What GI did was nothing compared to the trash the manly thugs dished up.

#5 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

YEP ! watched it on the highlights video because during the game it was a non event,so I'm guessing the the video gnome in the box was the one who game the on field ref the call that it was a penalty :wacko:  That being the case & the judiciary letting so many clear cut shoulder charge cases get swept under ................................. Many players from Manly on report - The GI thing is an excuse for them to use as a leveler :rolleyes:

#6 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

The amount of spear tackles on GI at the start of this season has been crazy. I imagine its because he is so hard to put down and teams don't want him getting quick PTBs so they put extra effort in the tackle. That said I think some hefty bans needs to go out before something nasty happens

#7 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

"I know there's repeated infringement sin-bin for hands on the ball or misdemeanours in the game. There isn't a current policy or process for continued foul play going in the sin-bin," Anderson said.

So -  You can get 10 minutes for repeatedly messing about at BTB,but not for repeatedly & deliberately roughing the same player in tackles :wacko:  I seem to remember Slater getting marched for a single tackle that was called "foul play" :rolleyes:

You're full of it Anderson & it's starting to dribble out of your mouth :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users