Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which Championship players would do well in SL ?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

The past few years has seen Zak Hardaker, Chris Hill, Alex Walmsley and Alex Brown do well in Super League. I also expect Hull KR prop James Green to kick on after his stint with Batley.

Who else could we see make that step up in the near future ?

I would like to see how Leigh's Ryan Brierley goes, he looks a good talent.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#2 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Barrows Liam Harrison at either centre or second row.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Liam Harrison for sure. Elliot Miller and Brett Phillips at Workington. Menzie Yere and Dominic Brambani at Sheffield could make the step up IMO. Few Fev lads like Liam Finn, I'd like to see see Tommy Saxton have a go at SL.

#4 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

After watching Fev last week, I think Andy Kain would do well
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

That young lad from York did ok for Hull against Wigan last night, scoring just the three tries...

:)

Posted Image

#6 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

That young lad from York did ok for Hull against Wigan last night, scoring just the three tries...

:)

Indeed he did!

I'd ask if you had a decent scrum half there that we could pinch, but I know better! ;)
Posted Image

#7 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Forgetting the Dual Regs players. I think the likes of Scott Murrell, Sam Barlow, Tony Tonks, Sam Smeaton, Liam Finn, Ryan Brierley, Menzie Yere, could step up.

#8 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Tony Tonks, Anthony England, Steve Crossley, Sam Barlow, Sam Smeaton, Dom Brambani, Liam Finn, Kyle Briggs and Andy Kain among others could make the step up with full time training IMHO.

Then there's the likes of Matt James and Andy Ellis, who I can't for the life of me fathom why Wakefield let go. Ellis in particular is far too good to not be playing full time.

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Forgot about Ellis, absolute joke he's not playing SL.

#10 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

One player I would like see to step up for his kicking game alone is Simon Brown at York. He got MOM in a good few of the Sheffield games on their march to the title last year.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

the phillips brother from workington, callum and brett. and a massive mention for our very own phil joseph who has been superb in super league this season...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Haven't some of those mentioned already played in SL or am I confused

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,514 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Actually none of the Featherstone players are any good at all. Especially the young ones. No point looking there at all, nothing to see. Coach too. OK?

A Fev Blog

#14 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

andy kain was garbage at widnes, glad we got shut...........tommy saxton was at castleford and liam finn was at halifax in SL, as for liam harrison, if he was super league standard then he would be playing there now, wire took him on trial just to get his brother ben...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#15 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Sam Hopkins would go well.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

jimmy taylor should have gone to a super league club from leigh, what a waste of talent. he could have made the england squad..

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

andy kain was garbage at widnes, glad we got shut...........tommy saxton was at castleford and liam finn was at halifax in SL, as for liam harrison, if he was super league standard then he would be playing there now, wire took him on trial just to get his brother ben...

Harrison has improved immensely since his move to the second row. He's probably to old now to be worth taking on a punt for SL but he's more than capable than playing at that level.

#18 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Judging by what I've seen on telly last couple of days shouldn't we be asking which SL players might do well in the Championship?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#19 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Haven't some of those mentioned already played in SL or am I confused

Quite a few have. Some had a handful of games at a young age and then dropped down, whereas some have had a longer spell in SL. Plus of course, some have never had the chance. Some of those listed probably wouldn't step up, some would probably be steady at best but as players such as Hardaker, Hill, Walmsley, etc prove is that every now and again, a real star will come through from a lower level team.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Harrison has improved immensely since his move to the second row. He's probably to old now to be worth taking on a punt for SL but he's more than capable than playing at that level.

i don't doubt it he always looked like a back rower as opposed to a centre, how old is he now? because phil joseph has been superb and he's 28