TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Old RL newspapers, programmes, etc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stockport Riversider

Stockport Riversider
  • Coach
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Not posted on here in a long time...

I've been going through some old stuff I've got and I've found a few boxes full of old RL publications from the 1990s, such as:

• Rugby League Express
  • Super League Week
  • Open Rugby
  • Other odds and sods

as well as lots of RL programmes, mainly from Wigan games, but also lots of internationals, Cup finals, etc.

I've not looked at these in 20 years. Although the missus would love me to,  I can't bring myself to just bin them.

Has anyone got any ideas what I could do with these?  Would they have any value?

I doubt there's any "sets" in there, e.g. I won't have complete seasons' worth of anything, but I might have 70% to 90% of some seasons.

They are in reasonable, but not perfect condition, e.g. a curled corners, smell a bit musty at the moment, etc. I wasn't a collector who tried to keep things perfect - I was just a hoarder of anything that came into my possession!

Cheers.

#2 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I do! The Official RL Archive would love to have them, and anything else that anyone would like to get rid of related to rugby league, no matter how trivial you think it may be.

The archive is kept at The University of Huddersfield on behalf of Rugby League Cares, and RL Cares Trustee and Heritage Officer, Professor Tony Collins, is the person in charge of it. Anything deposited/donated here will be preserved for future researchers for generations to come.

If you'd be interested in donating them, please let me know and we can arrange this. :)

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#3 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

The newspapers probably aren't worth anything.
I gave a few boxes of Rugby Leaguers away to a poster on here.
You can probably sell some of the programmes on eBay if you want to raise a bit of cash.
Some of the very early editions of Open Rugby would have some value.

#4 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Would they have any value?

No. As has been said some open rugby's numbered 1-12 may be worth a few quid bit you have to find a collector who wants them. RLCF will have shed loads of the stuff you quote. Collectable means pre-1958 stuff in the main.

#5 Stockport Riversider

Stockport Riversider
  • Coach
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

No. As has been said some open rugby's numbered 1-12 may be worth a few quid bit you have to find a collector who wants them. RLCF will have shed loads of the stuff you quote. Collectable means pre-1958 stuff in the main.

Cheers. RLCF? 

#6 Stockport Riversider

Stockport Riversider
  • Coach
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I do! The Official RL Archive would love to have them, and anything else that anyone would like to get rid of related to rugby league, no matter how trivial you think it may be.

The archive is kept at The University of Huddersfield on behalf of Rugby League Cares, and RL Cares Trustee and Heritage Officer, Professor Tony Collins, is the person in charge of it. Anything deposited/donated here will be preserved for future researchers for generations to come.

If you'd be interested in donating them, please let me know and we can arrange this. :)

Thanks for getting back to me. I've sent you a private message.

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Cheers. RLCF?

Rugby league Collectors Federation, check them out and you'll see whats worth the pounds or the pennies.

#8 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Rugby league Collectors Federation, check them out and you'll see whats worth the pounds or the pennies.

Bear in mind that whilst the RLCF will quote say £5 for a programme in their catalogue, they will only give you £1 for it.....

Not all the programmes have to be pre 1958 to sell. Many of those in the late 1960's and very early 1970's and the change to Sunday rugby can mean they are scarce.

I know of a few progs of this era that will sell for £10 on ebay whereas others from the late 1950's will be between £1 and £2 

You won't know until you try a few on ebay

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Bear in mind that whilst the RLCF will quote say £5 for a programme in their catalogue, they will only give you £1 for it.....

Not all the programmes have to be pre 1958 to sell. Many of those in the late 1960's and very early 1970's and the change to Sunday rugby can mean they are scarce.
I know of a few progs of this era that will sell for £10 on ebay whereas others from the late 1950's will be between £1 and £2 
You won't know until you try a few on ebay

I collected for many years Shaun and I take your points. The dealers have to have a mark up for the work they do. I recall the categories of programmes post 1958 that were indeed tough to find, often these were scarce because they were single sheet handouts for minor competitions, replays, sunday games where the teamsheet was i lieu of a programme for strange legal loophole resons etc. I sold all my collection and of course some stuff went for hundreds, hundreds were given away etc.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users