Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Referees

NCL

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Referees (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Are the refs good enough for this competition? or is it just bad loosers moaning because there team didnt win?

1. Good enough (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

2. Bad loosers (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. or are they just poor (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

every week there is more talk about the reffs than the actual games, its ######!!!!

Edited by shun, 27 April 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Most of them don't have personalities. They are apparently not allowed to use common sense. They are just mobile extensions of the law book. It really annoys me that they rarely stay for something to eat and a chat after games. They should be barred from watching Super League as well! Touch judges annoy me more though. What are they there for? It gives me no pleasure to criticise referees and I know they have a difficult job, in fact, as can be seen by my recent letter in LE, I actually enjoy telling a referee when he has had a good game. Just wish they would look sometimes like they are enjoying it! Everything stems from Super League and the officials decide more games at that level than the players do!

#3 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

Ive not voted because my opinion of referees in general does not fall into any of those categories.

#4 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

Most of them don't have personalities. They are apparently not allowed to use common sense. They are just mobile extensions of the law book. It really annoys me that they rarely stay for something to eat and a chat after games. They should be barred from watching Super League as well! Touch judges annoy me more though. What are they there for? It gives me no pleasure to criticise referees and I know they have a difficult job, in fact, as can be seen by my recent letter in LE, I actually enjoy telling a referee when he has had a good game. Just wish they would look sometimes like they are enjoying it! Everything stems from Super League and the officials decide more games at that level than the players do!

One of the first things that I was told when I first qualified was to stay after the match for a drink & something to eat as in the long run it made things easier because you got to know the players officials etc

In 13 years I probably left straight after a match on half a dozen times usually when I had a family commitment that evening

I even stayed after abandoning matches (only a couple)

#5 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

One of the first things that I was told when I first qualified was to stay after the match for a drink & something to eat as in the long run it made things easier because you got to know the players officials etc

In 13 years I probably left straight after a match on half a dozen times usually when I had a family commitment that evening

I even stayed after abandoning matches (only a couple)

Always a first class performance from you Lee and retired far to early, a great testament to your ability with the whistle was when a parallel district league asked you to officiate their district cup final.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#6 codecracker

codecracker
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Talking of ref's. The man in the middle was absolutle disgrace at the East's V Pats game. The linesmen might aswell have not been there as he over ruled them every time. Dnt know who he was?? Was that his first ever game??? He needs to be assessed after this very poor performance, Even the Pats coaches said he was bad so its not sour grapes.

#7 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Talking of ref's. The man in the middle was absolutle disgrace at the East's V Pats game. The linesmen might aswell have not been there as he over ruled them every time. Dnt know who he was?? Was that his first ever game??? He needs to be assessed after this very poor performance, Even the Pats coaches said he was bad so its not sour grapes.

got to agree. he was poor,and didn't use his touchjudges

#8 red rocket

red rocket
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think that the attitude of quite a few is discraceful.They seem to put on the attitude with the uniform.As for the touch judges great pocket money, buy plenty of pop and crisps and probably a few mates with their dosh! I know it must be difficult for refs but to have a true understanding of the game you should at leased of played it.#just my opinion

#9 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

The good ones get taken to Academy pretty quick

#10 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

It does worry you a bit when you've never heard of your referee before - and then they turn up in the Premier Division. What happened to working their way through the North West or Yorkshire Men's League or NW Counties/Pennine League like they used to do?

I'm a little tired of touch judges rushing in to the club after the game asking for their fee! I think I'm going to start paying ours with a cheque in future!

#11 brassey

brassey
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

the referees at the top amatuer games a joke

#12 super_reff

super_reff
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Did anyone read last weeks league express letters page?
www.procompress.co.uk

#13 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

I prefer it when we have a referee who I have never heard of before Jaguar, because in my book, he starts with a clean slate. I keep records of every referee we have ever had at my club over the last 13 years and its good when you don't have any pre-conceived ideas about him and hopefully, he doesn't have any pre concieved ideas about us. Got to agree with you regarding touch judges though - waste of space. Got to say that the Widnes society has supplied some great referee's over the years. I follow the careers of referee's as closely as I do players. Most do a pretty decent job but I wish they were more approachable, talked to the players more and maybe smiled once in a while.

#14 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

The questions in the Poll are too broad, there are good refs, poor refs and certainly some serial ref blamers.

As to the touch judges it was much better when teams had a designated TJ, referees got to know them and vice versa and there were very few problems. The local chaps were much more capable than some of the children that are sent out these days. Significantly cheaper as well.
I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#15 merryflagwaver

merryflagwaver
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

correct me if iam wrong but clubs dont pay for refs but pay for tj .as for your comment some of the children who tj i have seen some very good tj who are tjing for poor refs who think they are the best .these young officials need to learn their trade did you all critisize your players when they where learning (expecting some flack now )

#16 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

You missed the word 'some' that was in my post, you used it to say some TJs are very good, I said some are not. Does that mean we agree? When players are learning they are not learning in the top amateur league but unfortunately TJs are.

#17 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

What is the excuse for the touch judges in Super league being blind to forward passes then, and generally about as much as us as a chocolate fireguard? Are they still learning their trade as well, or are they under instruction to ignore forward passes? I also saw North Wales crusaders get robbed at home to Doncaster last season by some disgraceful touch judge decisions. Those touch judges did not get a game for a month as punishment but the referee - Jamie Bloom, who had a decent game apart from taking notice of his touch judges, was also punished. He was dropped from the championship the following week and refereed Hunslet Warriors .v. Eccles. The other side of the coin is, I once went to watch Heworth .v. Leigh Miners as a neutral and was cajoled into being a touch judge. I did it as fairly as I could took and as a result, took so much abuse  from the fans that I have never considered doing it again!

#18 merryflagwaver

merryflagwaver
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

role of a tj as defined by i think james child on the new rfl twitter

tjs are sole judge on touch,touch in goal and conversions they can only advise on other decisions

with the amatuer tj not wired up like their superleague  friends the only main chance that some decisons are picked up is the timing of a ref seeing the signal given by a tj .not trying to defend tjs or refs but the so called professional officials get things wrong even with all their training and expertise, so how do some people expect amateur officials without all the technology that superleague officials have expect them to be 100% correct all the time.if games where played to the letter of the game it would be stop start and loads of penalties.

#19 merryflagwaver

merryflagwaver
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

What is the excuse for the touch judges in Super league being blind to forward passes then, and generally about as much as us as a chocolate fireguard? Are they still learning their trade as well, or are they under instruction to ignore forward passes? I also saw North Wales crusaders get robbed at home to Doncaster last season by some disgraceful touch judge decisions. Those touch judges did not get a game for a month as punishment but the referee - Jamie Bloom, who had a decent game apart from taking notice of his touch judges, was also punished. He was dropped from the championship the following week and refereed Hunslet Warriors .v. Eccles. The other side of the coin is, I once went to watch Heworth .v. Leigh Miners as a neutral and was cajoled into being a touch judge. I did it as fairly as I could took and as a result, took so much abuse  from the fans that I have never considered doing it again!

and with you last statement reguarding abuse that is why we are struggling to get officials to do the jobs

#20 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

tjs are sole judge on touch,touch in goal and conversions

No they aren't, I have seen TJs give decisions after loud advice from supporters.

The best advice I got from a referee was, "Watch my back, don't embarrass me but if you see something that I have missed then stick your flag up until I see it." Currently most of TJs haven't got the bottle to call foul play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users