Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

score latest v lions

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Madison1

Madison1
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

Where are all the fans who have slagged the team off now?! It's amazing how quiet everyone goes. Awesome game to watch. Really enjoyed it.

#22 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Great performance today! MOM for me was Nathan mossop, he changed the game! Could of put 50 into them if we got all our kicks and converted chances we had!

#23 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

God! That was a long day today. Left home at 07.50 and just got in 12.05 am.
But I'm still smiling!!!
Well worth it!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#24 joe142

joe142
  • Coach
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

Where are all the fans who have slagged the team off now?! It's amazing how quiet everyone goes. Awesome game to watch. Really enjoyed it.

Agreed and all those who slagged Holty off funny how rooster hasn't posted on here? Great win lads! keep up the good work and let's have a good performance at halifax! I must say cammy at fullback looks the best option we've had all year!
If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough, when you get knocked down you gotta get back up...

#25 red box

red box
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Disagree that it was the best performance of the season - it was the best team performance in 2 seasons.

Thought the real difference was that the forwards did not try to muscle up and fight every time they took the ball in, instead they found the floor quite quickly resulting in faster play the balls and the dummy half(particularly Nathan) having the opportunity of scooting away from the ruck or getting the ball wider a lot faster than we have so far this season(or last).

Against a big set of forwards that was obviously the best tactic. Same again against Fax I hope as we won't be able to run over them but might just be able to skip round them.

3rd best attendance outside SL ( 4th best - NW Scorpions who had nearly 200 more through the gates than Haven).

#26 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

The best thing about Swinton was their excellent playing strip !

Thanks for that, but no consolation - yes we did look impressive when we ran out and much bigger but then the game started???

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Pack just out muscled them it won us the game in the end. Every forward played out of their skin. Finch and Casey is the HB combination we need they can guide a team round the park and it showed today. Mossop was MOM he is so quick out of dummy half, I don't know whether we should start him or not, he makes a huge impact when he comes on. Campbell looked more comfortable at full back as the game went on. Tough game next week but then we've played 4 of the top 5 away. Apart from Batley away I feel we can get a bonus point at least from every game.

#28 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Start with Mossop and leave him on as long as he can last !

He makes a massive difference with his go forward approach !!!!

Posted Image

#29 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

God! That was a long day today. Left home at 07.50 and just got in 12.05 am.
But I'm still smiling!!!
Well worth it!

Where do you live, On the Moon?

Edited by THE PIMPERNEL, 29 April 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#30 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Where do you live, On the Moon?

Coventry. Most weeks it's easy enough but there was a bus replacement service between Preston and Carnforth on the way up.
I'd parked at Wolverhampton and only found out that the m6 between J5-J6 was closed overnight when I got there. so I ended up going into the centre of Birmingham only to find that two of the tunnels on the ring road were closed.

Edited by bearman, 29 April 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#31 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Disagree that it was the best performance of the season - it was the best team performance in 2 seasons.

Even better than against lezignan last season in the challenge cup?

#32 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Not to mention when we wiped the floor with Haven to secure promotion!

#33 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Tough game next week but then we've played 4 of the top 5 away.

In a normal league, I would agree that would be an advantage but I am not so sure in this one. It must also mean you have played the lesser teams (swinton included) mostly at home so far. Think if I was needing to get some wins in the second half of the season and not just bonus points then I would prefer to have all the best teams away in the second half and win the home games.

We are now desperate for a win at home against whitehaven on Thursday to see where we are at the halfway stage.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#34 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

In a normal league, I would agree that would be an advantage but I am not so sure in this one. It must also mean you have played the lesser teams (swinton included) mostly at home so far. Think if I was needing to get some wins in the second half of the season and not just bonus points then I would prefer to have all the best teams away in the second half and win the home games.

We are now desperate for a win at home against whitehaven on Thursday to see where we are at the halfway stage.

i agree we have now played  4 of the top 5 at home and all the teams left to come to the rec  (with the exception of batley) are below us.Also away we only have swinton,dons and york to play we have played most of the teams who would be looking to take points of us away from home.This should see us ok 2nd half of the season,yes we still have to visit fax,leigh,eagles and fev but at the start of the season i wouldn't have expected much from them games so any BP will do

Edited by haven4ever, 29 April 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#35 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Agreed and all those who slagged Holty off funny how rooster hasn't posted on here? Great win lads! keep up the good work and let's have a good performance at halifax! I must say cammy at fullback looks the best option we've had all year!

Yes sorry Joe you are right, good win against the mighty Swinton, 

#36 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

One swallow doesn't make a summer, remember that. we have to kick on from here though. Don't expect us to even compete against Fax next week, esp as they are looking to bounce back after their humiliation at hands of Fev. Maybe Holty should rest a few 'star' players again, rather than risk possible injury. Worked in the cup game...

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#37 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

One swallow doesn't make a summer, remember that. we have to kick on from here though. Don't expect us to even compete against Fax next week, esp as they are looking to bounce back after their humiliation at hands of Fev. Maybe Holty should rest a few 'star' players again, rather than risk possible injury. Worked in the cup game...

We should be going to Halifax wanting to compete and hopefully secure a bonus point !!!!!

Posted Image

#38 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

We should be going to Halifax wanting to compete and hopefully secure a bonus point !!!!!

Like we did in the cup? When we decided that a payout from possibly playing a super league club in the next round would have given the club some much needed cash !!! Know which id have thrown my stronger team out for. Rather rest players this week again keep em fit for crunch games coming up against Haven, York, Dews etc - same for when we play Fev in a few weeks, rest key players. I know its not sportamanlike, but this is business and our business now is survival of the fittest

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#39 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Like we did in the cup? When we decided that a payout from possibly playing a super league club in the next round would have given the club some much needed cash !!! Know which id have thrown my stronger team out for. Rather rest players this week again keep em fit for crunch games coming up against Haven, York, Dews etc - same for when we play Fev in a few weeks, rest key players. I know its not sportamanlike, but this is business and our business now is survival of the fittest

Can see your point but another huge stuffing will not do the team's confidence any good. A few teams have run Halifax close this year so a bp is not out of the question !

Edited by Baaarrow, 30 April 2013 - 11:47 AM.

Posted Image

#40 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

i have to say i feel we have no chance of a bonus point at fax. I'd rest our best player in Haggerty (Kurt, not the other one who is useless) as he was a different gravy on sunday and having him fresh could make the difference against the lesser sides!

it was a good win against possibly the worst side to play at craven park this season (inc leigh miners).

swinton started off well but they played like a team of individuals.

i guess having too many dual reg can cause disruption!

what has happened to Mark Smith. he used to be one of the best players outside of SL, he looked awful. I suppose he is getting on now but still i wouldnt ever worry about seeing him play against us again.