Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New championship clubs a breath of fresh air

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 970 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Particularly Hemel and Oxford who sit at the top of the Championship Oe table with Crusaders, long may their progress continue. 

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Contrary to some fears, it seems that the division is quite evenly matched. I really hope the new clubs are sustainable (and the old ones if it comes to that) as this is the nearest we've come to having a national competition.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

It's good to see things being mixed up a bit. Well done to all the new clubs, and here's to a good competitive season. :)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

I think the Crusaders might just be a cut above the rest. Clive Griffiths has succeeded wherever he has gone, the management seems sound, the crowds ( so far) are the best in the league by several hundred and the ground is in the top three in the division. They have not been tested so far in this division and have made the final of the northern rail subsidiary competition in only their second season.

Not too shabby overall.

#5 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Oldham 16 v 18 Oxford.

S.Wales 30 v 28 Rochdale.

Well done to all involved - and to the RFL.Good win for Workington too - hope their are going to maximise their Tetley's Cup game with Widnes.Good crowd at Featherstone and not bad elsewhere.

#6 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

I still think Crusaders biggest test this season will be at Rochdale Hornets next Sunday. I am a huge fan of expansion but it pains me to see the plight of once great clubs like Rochdale and Oldham. Both have visited Wrexham this season and neither brought enough supporters to fill a bus. I have good friends who support both clubs and I feel for them. These clubs must feel like they have been abandoned by the RFL. I am as much enthusiastic, and surprised, at the success of Hemel, Oxford and Gloucester as anybody else but I have got to say that I don't think these clubs have been brought up to the championship standard of about 3 years ago. I think theat Championship 1 standards have dropped. This is not a dig at expansion - Its an honest opinion. I have followed Celtic Crusaders, and now North Wales Crusaders since their first season. I have also visited grounds like Bridgend, Blackwood, Cynon Valley, Ipswich Rhinos, Bristol, Nottingham and Coventry to support Rugby league. I want the game to expand but the RFL are fooling people that it is expanding faster than it actually is. Crusaders have got things right on and off the pitch and I'm glad to be a small part of it (Supporter) and, they will go on to better things, but I genuinely fear for a lot of the traditional clubs who are struggling. Too much money going into Super League and not enough going into Rugby League.

#7 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

The model for this tier is local involvement local sponsors maximise home fans and avoid over spending - next year and the following will see crusaders then Skolars go up to be replaced by swinton and hunslet or simIlar. Hopefully Coventry and some others will also make the step up to c1 to make a larger division.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#8 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

The model for this tier is local involvement local sponsors maximise home fans and avoid over spending - next year and the following will see crusaders then Skolars go up to be replaced by swinton and hunslet or simIlar. Hopefully Coventry and some others will also make the step up to c1 to make a larger division.

I would have thought that a big factor is what will eventually happen with Superleague. If, for example, SL changes to 2 leagues of 10, then this will have a knock on effect with the championships. Up to 6 clubs currently in the Championship may move up to SL2, leaving 17 Champ and Champ 1 clubs in total. Would the weaker clubs be omitted from a restructured championship, or would more clubs be invited to join a new rectructured Champ 1? If so, where would these new clubs (and the money) come from? Alternatively, if SL became 2 leagues of 12, then this would leave 13 clubs for the Championship, and would potentially create a bigger disparity between the stronger and weaker clubs. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

#9 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

This all makes my heart sing

Shame the CC1 table is omitted from BBC Ceefax 370 pages. Who do we ask about this?

#10 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Never forget as well the importance of developing local juniors.

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

What if the new expansion clubs got promoted what will happen then? They'll likely get destroyed if they stepped up.

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

What if the new expansion clubs got promoted what will happen then? They'll likely get destroyed if they stepped up.

They were meant to get destroyed in this division.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

i think crusaders will win the league by a considerable margin, clive has built a useful squad that is certainly the best in the division, but the results have been great for oxford and hemel, both of whom recruited well before the launch of the season. i'm surprised though that skolars are doing so poorly.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

All Golds crowds have fluctuated. Some on here present at Cheltenham said it was near four figures for last weeks Salford visit. Interestingly when they played Oldham only 100 or so turned uo. When they played Oxford four times as many attended. For me the fact that the three new clubs are not far apart geographically is a real plus and you can add Skolars to that.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I still think Crusaders biggest test this season will be at Rochdale Hornets next Sunday. I am a huge fan of expansion but it pains me to see the plight of once great clubs like Rochdale and Oldham. Both have visited Wrexham this season and neither brought enough supporters to fill a bus. I have good friends who support both clubs and I feel for them. These clubs must feel like they have been abandoned by the RFL. I am as much enthusiastic, and surprised, at the success of Hemel, Oxford and Gloucester as anybody else but I have got to say that I don't think these clubs have been brought up to the championship standard of about 3 years ago. I think theat Championship 1 standards have dropped. This is not a dig at expansion - Its an honest opinion. I have followed Celtic Crusaders, and now North Wales Crusaders since their first season. I have also visited grounds like Bridgend, Blackwood, Cynon Valley, Ipswich Rhinos, Bristol, Nottingham and Coventry to support Rugby league. I want the game to expand but the RFL are fooling people that it is expanding faster than it actually is. Crusaders have got things right on and off the pitch and I'm glad to be a small part of it (Supporter) and, they will go on to better things, but I genuinely fear for a lot of the traditional clubs who are struggling. Too much money going into Super League and not enough going into Rugby League.

I agree with every word of that. There have been threads on it before which eventually got locked but I think Oldham in particular has a lot of potential and promotion for them would be more beneficial than a good season just missing out on promotion would be bad for one of the new clubs.

Oldham today are in just about the same situation in which Fev found themselves when they were in CC1 and look what has happened there.

It would be great if it coild be replicated at Oldham.

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

So long as Hunslet are propped up by Leeds players it will be difficult to knock them into the relegation spots, although you could say the same for Swinton with their Warrington players so maybethat's not true about hunslet eiter.

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I agree with every word of that. There have been threads on it before which eventually got locked but I think Oldham in particular has a lot of potential and promotion for them would be more beneficial than a good season just missing out on promotion would be bad for one of the new clubs.

Oldham today are in just about the same situation in which Fev found themselves when they were in CC1 and look what has happened there.

It would be great if it coild be replicated at Oldham.

Isn't there a minimum standard for stadia in the Championship? Which I don't think Oldham currently meet.

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Isn't there a minimum standard for stadia in the Championship? Which I don't think Oldham currently meet.

I don't know but there are plans about for the upgrading of Whitebank. I have seen and read about them somewhere.

I think the silver lining is that Oldham seem to have tenancy and security there and, following on after their nomadic wanderings after leaving Watersheddings, there is a glimmer of hope that the ground might eventually materialise. Maybe Dr Koukash has a bored lonely brother who fancies a challenge.

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I think the standards will have dropped as a result of making the Championship a 14 team league, and moving the strongest four from CC1 into it, but I think that was probably the idea. What the RFL have done is make the lowest division more accessible to the type of clubs that are likely to be formed in the expansion areas. What I think has happened (what I hope has happened) is that a competition has been formed where clubs attracting a few hundred spectators can realistically survive. Do you notice how none of the three new clubs have made over-optimistic claims of aiming to attract gates of a couple of thousand in their first season, and hoping to be in Super League soon? Well, Northampton did, but we saw what happened to them.

I too worried about Rochdale and Oldham, and wondered what attraction the likes of Hemel, Oxford and Gloucestershire would be, but going off the results so far they are in the correct division. Don't forget that, being in the heatlands they have all the advantages: a bigger pool of talent, populations that contain people steeped in the game, coaching talent, and, even at the low ebb they currently are at, larger crowds than most of the others. This standard of competition gives them the chance to re-build.

#20 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

I don't know but there are plans about for the upgrading of Whitebank. I have seen and read about them somewhere.

I think the silver lining is that Oldham seem to have tenancy and security there and, following on after their nomadic wanderings after leaving Watersheddings, there is a glimmer of hope that the ground might eventually materialise. Maybe Dr Koukash has a bored lonely brother who fancies a challenge.

Never mind Dr Koukash, I was hoping the Sheikh at Man City might have a brother that could take an interest in Hornets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users