New championship clubs a breath of fresh air

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

What if the new expansion clubs got promoted what will happen then? They'll likely get destroyed if they stepped up.

You're right. We must bring in a licensing system immediately.

Edited by Gav Wilson, 29 April 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image

#22 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Contrary to some fears, it seems that the division is quite evenly matched. I really hope the new clubs are sustainable (and the old ones if it comes to that) as this is the nearest we've come to having a national competition.

Not sure that the fear was an uneven competition, more that clubs travelling such distances could sustain RL at this semi pro level.

As for a national competition Oldham and Rochdale aren't running away with things and one wonders wether other championship clubs who felt they could not stay independant and instead rely on being attached to SL clubs should not be in this division rather than just being "A" teams?

Even soccer doesn't go for a national comp at lower levels as it regionalises and saves costs so it'd be a big ask.

CC1 has a long long way to go before it can be adjudged a success and before it can provide a model for small clubs to operate sustainably in a national semi pro comp which would be great for the game.

#23 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Oldham need to build support by winning matches and then use that momentum to develop the ground - assuming they have security of tenure. Winning runs will be easier to develop where they are, attract new fans that don't keep saying the opposition are rubbish so the result means nowt. Rochdale are in a slightly different position until the soccer club / stadium co screw them. Their structure helps but I also think a steady rebuilding process, winning more than they lose and developing the brand around town will help them.

Crusaders look certain to finish top this year to me, behind them I still feel will be Skolars then the 2 Lancashire clubs then Hemel south wales oxford Gateshead and ugag
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#24 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

I still think Crusaders biggest test this season will be at Rochdale Hornets next Sunday. I am a huge fan of expansion but it pains me to see the plight of once great clubs like Rochdale and Oldham. Both have visited Wrexham this season and neither brought enough supporters to fill a bus. I have good friends who support both clubs and I feel for them. These clubs must feel like they have been abandoned by the RFL. I am as much enthusiastic, and surprised, at the success of Hemel, Oxford and Gloucester as anybody else but I have got to say that I don't think these clubs have been brought up to the championship standard of about 3 years ago. I think theat Championship 1 standards have dropped.

If they have dropped (you are probably right) then Oldham and Rochdale are part of that fall in standard. They were expected to be ahead of the pack and they aren't.

#25 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

If they have dropped (you are probably right) then Oldham and Rochdale are part of that fall in standard. They were expected to be ahead of the pack and they aren't.

are you talking about the grounds? Whitebank is a fall in standards definitely, but spotland? ? It's one of the best in either championship. Wish we had it!

#26 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

CC1 has a long long way to go before it can be adjudged a success and before it can provide a model for small clubs to operate sustainably in a national semi pro comp which would be great for the game.

This. Judging the new clubs on the basis of a handful of games is a dangerous thing to do.

#27 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Judging them negatively before they'd played a game was de rigeur a couple of months ago, people are just redressing the balance
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#28 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

As a North Wales Crusaders supporter I took a keen interest in the clus involved in Championship 1 and I said at the begining of the season that Hemel Stags have a good foundation and are well managed while Oxford have recruited well and look like a professional outfit. My prediction were that Hemel and Oxford would be the teams to beat. Looks like I could be right (for a change!)

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hemel I expected to do well with their firm foundations. I'm really chuffed for them as a club as they've been around for a while and are exactly what developing from grassroots is all about.

Oxford have been a surprise. Weren't sure what to expect from them to be honest.

Great to see Crusaders going strong. Really hope they can get promoted and go well in the Championship for a few years. I think there's great potential up in Wrexham, and to think they wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Celtic's mess up!

What ever happened to the rumblings from Bridgend about a fan-run club? I know it was at the same time as the Scorpions were muted, but was that the end of it after that? There was a lot going on down there at one point and whilst I don't think SL was really ready for them, Championship rugby could still have been viable.
Posted Image

#30 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

are you talking about the grounds? Whitebank is a fall in standards definitely, but spotland? ? It's one of the best in either championship. Wish we had it!

On field performance. Oldham and Rochdale should be at the top of the table.

#31 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

What ever happened to the rumblings from Bridgend about a fan-run club? I know it was at the same time as the Scorpions were muted, but was that the end of it after that? There was a lot going on down there at one point and whilst I don't think SL was really ready for them, Championship rugby could still have been viable.

Neath is only 20 miles from Bridgend. Probably best or the Scorpions to shore up the wider support from the area, rather then divide the regions support.

I have heard a club from the Valleys were also looking at eventually moving to CC1
Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Never mind Dr Koukash, I was hoping the Sheikh at Man City might have a brother that could take an interest in Hornets.

We'll take em both and they can headhunt a couple more for Keighley and Swinton. Apart from Hornets all the others either need a new or a vastly updated ground so there's plenty to aim for.

#33 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Neath is only 20 miles from Bridgend. Probably best or the Scorpions to shore up the wider support from the area, rather then divide the regions support.
I have heard a club from the Valleys were also looking at eventually moving to CC1

That was Valley Cougars but looks unlikely at the minute. There is however lots of stuff going on down here, that when it is all in place will make a significant impact.

For now Scorpions are the way forward as goldcoaster says.

#34 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

We'll take em both and they can headhunt a couple more for Keighley and Swinton. Apart from Hornets all the others either need a new or a vastly updated ground so there's plenty to aim for.

Wrexham's ground is okay, as is Gateshead International Stadium.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

Judging them negatively before they'd played a game was de rigeur a couple of months ago, people are just redressing the balance

I'm not redressing the balance because nothing has been proved by the performance of the division so far. You said in your earlier post "Oldham need to build support by winning matches and then use that momentum to develop the ground".

There's no record of crowds flocking to third tier clubs who win matches, at least not such that they will have enough profit from the gates left over to do building works on the ground. In 2010 my club Hunslet won CC1 and their attendances fell 20%.

CC1 is a brave attempt to increase the semi pro "footprint" of the game across Britain, probably because they could not do this at fully pro level. The assumption that just because nobody has collapsed after a few weeks means clubs are going from strength to strength and the naysayers are wrong is unfair.

For new clubs yes this is a chance to shine on a national stage, for the likes of Oldham and Rochdale it's somewhere to exist. For Hunslet it's been costed out as a place they can't afford. The race to DR is all about staying out of CC1.

Edited by The Parksider, 30 April 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

On field performance. Oldham and Rochdale should be at the top of the table.

sorry but crusaders have an excellent squad for that level and have zero dual reg players as well.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#37 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hunslet are an interesting case, low support and a hinterland that does not seem to identify with Hunslet as a suburb in the way past generations may have done. For hunslet to attract new support they may need to re-brand to widen their appeal (the same may be true of Swinton). Town teams such as Oldham have many more people that identify with the concept of the town.

#38 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

I think it is fair for people to comment that those people who suggested it would be a disaster from day 1 were wrong. It certainly looks, from competitiveness and crowds, to have made a decent start. Given the nature of start ups, I would be surprised if all the newbies made it, but that's no reason not to stick with the concept. The clubs and the RFL will be learning all the time about what works and what doesn't.

So far, so good.

#39 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Not sure that the fear was an uneven competition, more that clubs travelling such distances could sustain RL at this semi pro level.

This too would be my fear, and I think it's far to early to judge the new arrivals as successes.  I wouldn't imagine that there's a lot of money being paid to players in this division, and the when an 80 minute game can regularly take eight to ten hours out of a day with travel, prep and playing it's a big commitment for young men to make.  Added to that the training and lifestyle sacrifices it's easy to imagine a scenario where players could feel that they're better off playing for union sides locally for easy money.

The signs so far are good.  Long may it continue.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 30 April 2013 - 11:01 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#40 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think it is fair for people to comment that those people who suggested it would be a disaster from day 1 were wrong. It certainly looks, from competitiveness and crowds, to have made a decent start.

I'd disagree and ask you to consider that the proof that a national semi pro competition of independant clubs works will lie in the accounts of the clubs.

This is not amateur Rugby.

If there IS a formulae that works financially then the dual registered clubs hanging on to the coat tails of Superleague masters ought to consider it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users