Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New championship clubs a breath of fresh air

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

That was Valley Cougars but looks unlikely at the minute. There is however lots of stuff going on down here, that when it is all in place will make a significant impact.

For now Scorpions are the way forward as goldcoaster says.

Edited by jannerboyuk, 30 April 2013 - 11:20 AM.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hunslet are an interesting case, low support and a hinterland that does not seem to identify with Hunslet as a suburb in the way past generations may have done. For hunslet to attract new support they may need to re-brand to widen their appeal (the same may be true of Swinton). Town teams such as Oldham have many more people that identify with the concept of the town.

Maybe but the elephant in the room is the Superleague clubs.

Far from championship clubs being able to "widen" their appeal, IMHO the appeal is superleague and that widens their audience wether it's Wigan/leigh, Leeds/Hunslet or Salford/swinton.

CC1 is about widening the game around the country getting new fans, players and sponsors on board and providing an aleternative Rugby to that which monopolised those areas for 100 years.

On that basis I feel that it's more important to the game than the Championship where some clubs cling on to the past by acting as "A" teams, to try to maintain second tier status when if fact this dependance diminishes their status to below CC1.

Are Hunslet a bigger club than Oxford?

#43 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Oldham are dead, they just haven't noticed yet. Why pay £12(?) to watch boring dross that is far less entertaining than the games you can watch at amateur level for less money when the facilities are no better and the management of the club is an absolute joke ? If they have a future it will be as a Salford feeder club. The ground is in a worse state now than it was when they moved in with no realistic signs of any improvement (there's been no planning applications made) and the team are just not worth watching.

#44 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

While the forum is on the subject of the Challenge Cup, I would just like to say that in my view, an A1 point was made about that competition by a League Express reader, in a letter published on the Mailbag page, and I hope Mr Haskey will not mind if I quote him here .............

" .............................  There is always a chance of an upset, although unlike football it is unlikely, due to the try line being a lot wider than the goals in football. It is the romance of the cup not necessary the result that counts."

Ian Haskey; Mailbag; League Express; 29th April 2013
Page 37; Column 2; 3rd Reader's Letter down.

In and age of scant reverence for romance (as opposed to sex) it is encouraging to find that someone, somewhere still believes that sport (contrary to prevailing opinion) is not always, all about winning.

There is more to it than that.

What happened to the glory of just going out to win?
To each new David standing four-square up to face his personal Goliath?

What does it matter that in the real world not every David can floor Goliath - end of story.
Sometimes the glory is in just living for the day, when the day is big enough.

:-)

Edited by Honor James, 30 April 2013 - 12:07 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Oldham are dead, they just haven't noticed yet. Why pay £12(?) to watch boring dross that is far less entertaining than the games you can watch at amateur level for less money when the facilities are no better and the management of the club is an absolute joke ? If they have a future it will be as a Salford feeder club. The ground is in a worse state now than it was when they moved in with no realistic signs of any improvement (there's been no planning applications made) and the team are just not worth watching.

600 people disagree with you so oldham are not dead. The fans they have seem to prefer (at least they say this on here) their club to be independant and to play Oldham lads where possible.

Others may however prefer the "Feeder" option but is it really tenable for independant clubs to play in the same league as clubs who have access to professional players from Superleague?

It is only tolerated by the Fev's halifax's and Sheffield's because they are winning wll the time. once the reverse happens there'll be a big row.

How fair would it be if oxford came north next year to face highly paid (by Koukash) pros from Salford??

#46 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Wrexham's ground is okay, as is Gateshead International Stadium.

No arguments there but I was discussing particulalrly, Swinton, Keighley, Oldham and Hornets and Hornets are the only one with a decent ground out of that quartet.

Keighley, Swinton and Oldham all have eisting plans to upgrade their ground or build a new one. Big time money would significantly help these ambitions and could well kick start renaisances in the fortunes of those teams.

As I said, does dr Koukash have a wealthy bored brother that could be approached?

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm not redressing the balance because nothing has been proved by the performance of the division so far. You said in your earlier post "Oldham need to build support by winning matches and then use that momentum to develop the ground".

There's no record of crowds flocking to third tier clubs who win matches, at least not such that they will have enough profit from the gates left over to do building works on the ground. In 2010 my club Hunslet won CC1 and their attendances fell 20%.

CC1 is a brave attempt to increase the semi pro "footprint" of the game across Britain, probably because they could not do this at fully pro level. The assumption that just because nobody has collapsed after a few weeks means clubs are going from strength to strength and the naysayers are wrong is unfair.

For new clubs yes this is a chance to shine on a national stage, for the likes of Oldham and Rochdale it's somewhere to exist. For Hunslet it's been costed out as a place they can't afford. The race to DR is all about staying out of CC1.

Where does that leave South Wales and Wigan and Skolars and Broncos, Rochdale and Saints then ?

#48 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I think it is fair for people to comment that those people who suggested it would be a disaster from day 1 were wrong. It certainly looks, from competitiveness and crowds, to have made a decent start. Given the nature of start ups, I would be surprised if all the newbies made it, but that's no reason not to stick with the concept. The clubs and the RFL will be learning all the time about what works and what doesn't.
So far, so good.

And Coventry to join the party next season.

#49 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Where does that leave South Wales and Wigan and Skolars and Broncos, Rochdale and Saints then ?

All in a mess.

Do you like how "feeder" clubs who can't stand on their own two feet are being mixed with new clubs who may want to? Do you want all clubs below SL to be beholden to SL and exist for SL?

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

All in a mess.

Do you like how "feeder" clubs who can't stand on their own two feet are being mixed with new clubs who may want to? Do you want all clubs below SL to be beholden to SL and exist for SL?

No I don't. This whole DR thing is a big mistake and distatrous for future player development.

It is gratifying though that Fev, Fax. the Eagles are dominating CC and the Crusaders are top dogs in CC1, independent clubs all.

With the exception of the eagles, these clubs are also the best supported clubs in the division so where is the benefit for the DR CC clubs. All the benefits are to the SL club.

#51 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Rochdale Hornets are often referred to as a "once great club" which, as much as it pains me to say it, they never really were.  Historically, Oldham though have always been much stronger largely through a great amateur set-up with top filight teams such  as Saddleworth Rangers, Saint Annes and Waterhead with Higginshaw, Fitton Hill and Shaw close behind.  This provided Oldham (and Rochdale Hornets) with a lot of good players.

Recently, the amateur clubs in Rochdale, spearheaded by Mayfield, have been producing good numbers of quality players, so much so that Super League clubs like Wigan, St Helens, Bradford and Salford now regularly feature Rochdale based lads in their youth and academy set-ups.

Hopefully this, and the more sensibly organised professional club can see RL "kick-on" in Rochdale - and also Bury and Bolton.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#52 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Rochdale Hornets are often referred to as a "once great club" which, as much as it pains me to say it, they never really were.  Historically, Oldham though have always been much stronger largely through a great amateur set-up with top filight teams such  as Saddleworth Rangers, Saint Annes and Waterhead with Higginshaw, Fitton Hill and Shaw close behind.  This provided Oldham (and Rochdale Hornets) with a lot of good players.

Recently, the amateur clubs in Rochdale, spearheaded by Mayfield, have been producing good numbers of quality players, so much so that Super League clubs like Wigan, St Helens, Bradford and Salford now regularly feature Rochdale based lads in their youth and academy set-ups.

Hopefully this, and the more sensibly organised professional club can see RL "kick-on" in Rochdale - and also Bury and Bolton.

I thought about making this point...

The occasional high point (Challenge Cup, Lancashire Cup) punctuating years of genuine struggle would be more accurate. Oldham on the other hand,,,

That said, I do think that this level could be useful for established clubs such as Roughyeds and Hornets to regroup and rebuild after periods of decline. Travel will always be a problem if this division is going to be the entry point for southern clubs.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users