Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Back down to earth

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

20-0 was we lucky for it to be 20? No ash or miles or george
Big improvement for next week fev have just beaten fax 40-18

#2 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Just returned from another miserable trip to the LSV. Agree with KTF. Lucky to score 0. Mistakes all over the place. No flair or desire today. Didn't look interested which is the worry for me. Who was the leader on the field today cos there didn't look like anyone wanted to be. Black seemed to be quite vocal but that might have been to cover his own poor performance. Kear on Radio Leeds got it spot on. Lots of work ahead of the the flat cappers next week. Fingers crossed its lesson learned!!!

#3 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

1st half was tough, not sure if 14-0 was a true reflection of the game.

2nd half, both sides made a LOT of handling errors.

I am a Leigh fan, delighted with 20-0, but financially we are in the **** again, players not getting paid this month.

Glad we had 2 days longer break from playing a SL side....but our defence was awesome, for the 1st time this season.

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

I thought our defence was OK. Their second try was far too soft but the first and third were well taken. Offensivly we were very poor and only Cambell shone for me and he was unlucky to score off moore's sublime kick. Better team won today and cud have put 40 on us if our defence had not held up. Looking forward to the visit of fev next week and although we had a bad result we must take heart that there is always another team who fared even worse ;)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,624 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

If you think this is down to earth then you must have a short memory.

B)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Defence was woeful, half backs non existant and the pack well beaten. The body language from minute 1 to 80 seemed to indicate we were beaten.

Very dissapointed tonight, but today puts into perspective the scraped wins against the likes of Barrow and Doncaster - we arent good enough and lack that bit of quality the other sides in the top 5 have.

Edited by buford t justice, 28 April 2013 - 06:15 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#7 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Can't understand the doom-mongers. This result needs to be put into perspective; Leigh have just come off the back of two 60-point tonkings. I'm guessing Rowley & Co. may have been working on their defence this week? Secondly, how much did last Sunday take out of the team? Quite a lot I reckon. Thirdly, Leigh had two days extra recovery after coasting to a 60 point shellacking.

Is today REALLY that much of a surprise? Let's see what happens next Sunday before we start the misery eh?

#8 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Insipid performance sunmed up perfectly by JK afterwards. It's the first time for quite a while where we didn't look up for it. The attitude wasn't there, neither was the intensity. Flat for 80 minutes, with countless handling errors and woeful discipline.

Hopefully a one off, but I am slightly concerned by our lack of attacking threat. You can't argue with our record so far, but in the three games against the so called bigger clubs we've lost 2 and scraped a draw in the other. The majority of our tries come from 5-10 yards or kicks. I can't remember the last time we scored from a flowing handling move, and we very rarely seem to break the line.. It's just all too predictable...3 scoots, 2 drives from forwards and then a kick, the majority of the time.

Ok if we finish 4/5th as a result its still a decent season and you can't argue as a result with the tactics,, but I just think we are capable of so much more offensively with the players we have. Defence fantastic, attack at times very very boring and predictable.

Hopefully after a week being flogged by JK we will see a completely different side next Sunday.

#9 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I thought our defence was OK. Their second try was far too soft but the first and third were well taken. Offensivly we were very poor and only Cambell shone for me and he was unlucky to score off moore's sublime kick. Better team won today and cud have put 40 on us if our defence had not held up. Looking forward to the visit of fev next week and although we had a bad result we must take heart that there is always another team who fared even worse ;)

I thought Keegan put in a pretty solid shift too

#10 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Leigh had two days extra recovery after coasting to a 60 point shellacking.

Coasting,,, it was a bl00dy tough game 'up the middle' Wigan scored all but one try in the corner, we had 3 tries disallowed.

Batley did fantastic against Huddersfield, whislt we were out of it after 13 minutes, 22-0 down.

But they didn't walk in for tries, like they did at Hull KR.

You were not at the game...but 2 days extra recovery from playing a SL side...agreed it would have had an impact, though I doubt John Kear will use that excuse.

Didn't expect Batley to get nilled though.

#11 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

I don't think I'm doom mangering, just feel disappointed with the lack of ambition in today's game going forward with the ball. It's no disrespect to Leigh, but we made plenty of meters apart from when close to the line. So pleased with the season so far, just feel that the things that lost us the game today are the elements have org of been missing this year and that coud decided how far up the table or if a piece of silverware is on the table at the end of the season!!!!! It just so happens that I'm having a moan after another defeat at the LSV. I will be more positive later in the week when the dust settles. I PROMISE.

#12 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Jk said radio leeds we can't pick and choose when to play e.g stepping up against huddersfield and turning up expecting to win today hopefully we didn't pick up anymore injurys today if so we may be ringing anderson up for another duel reg. also 12-0 give away has to stop or it will be like today a bridge too far to catch and a team like fev in the mood they were today could really hurt us but i think and knowing us we will bounce back next week and give them a game also a shock as we haven't beat fev at home since 2004/2005

Edited by Keep The Faith, 28 April 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#13 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Disappointed... We nearly scored early on but apart from that we were totally flat. I agree with nick07... If our attacking play matched our defence i think we would be champions i really do! Lets not be too down about it though coz a top performance next week and beat fev and we've got to be happy approaching half way. Plus leigh tackeled very well today. Chin up everyone!

#14 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

Everyone has a bad day and hopefully this was ours. My first experience of the LSV wasn't a good one on and off the pitch.

The best team won today. We missed the likes of George, Ash, and Miles. Had no ideas going forward. We could do with trying to get the ball out to our wingers a little.

If we play like that next week fev will put 50 past us.

#15 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Just returned from another miserable trip to the LSV. Agree with KTF. Lucky to score 0. Mistakes all over the place. No flair or desire today. Didn't look interested which is the worry for me. Who was the leader on the field today cos there didn't look like anyone wanted to be. Black seemed to be quite vocal but that might have been to cover his own poor performance. Kear on Radio Leeds got it spot on. Lots of work ahead of the the flat cappers next week. Fingers crossed its lesson learned!!!

Oh dear  :lol:

#16 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

You get nilled at Leigh and now you're looking forward to the Featherstone game  :rolleyes:

#17 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

I do enjoy your incisive comment and biting wit, Rombo.

#18 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Unlike the Rams, the Dogs are having a great season and I don't think one hiccup is going to change that.
It's not unusual result after a big game the week before.Will bring the team back to reality.Enjoy the Featherstone game,just wish I was there to watch it.

#19 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Sorry rombo but didnt u lose a lead and the match today but ur used to that by now i suppose lol

#20 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Im sure batley wont get nilled next week
and featherstone wont be looking forward
taking on the wounded dogs.

dont think theres a crisis after losing one game.

us on the other hand are in crisis...

sometimes its better to keep ya head down eddie
until we have some ammo to fire back lol