Leigh in the mire again

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

if the outgoings are still higher than incomings then cut costs first. Outgoings could then be raised in line with new investment

From the outside looking in it seem the only thing to cut is the quality of the squad.
If they do that then the gates will fall.Its a nasty spiral that the current administration set in motion 18 months ago,and they've learned nothing.They've failed ,they need to go.

#22 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

From the outside looking in it seem the only thing to cut is the quality of the squad.
If they do that then the gates will fall.Its a nasty spiral that the current administration set in motion 18 months ago,and they've learned nothing.They've failed ,they need to go.

Agree, business should be sales driven

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,227 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Agree, business should be sales driven

This "nasty spiral" has been the case from time immemorial and all clubs suffer from it.

I've never really known any club that could pay more in wages to their players than they could afford in any type of sustainable business model.

The problem with the championship is it's not something that is easy to sell. Leigh have been a successful CC club but that isn't selling enough tickets.

It's a rock and a hard place. Cut your cloth and more fans will stay away, spend enough on players to win games and not enough fans will respond tothat to justify the playing budget.

I appreciate the club needs to aggressively market itself and go for "sales", but I bet the reason you don't have a sizeable marketing team is the money isn't there as it's been spent on players.

there seems to me to be a problem here that is not identified, how do Batley, Sheffield and Halifax manage their accounts and leigh don't??

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Lots going on behind the scenes at Leigh, players will be paid after a BoD change was announced post match and it looks like things may get much better linked to the ending of franchising this week

The finances were always under pressure when Salford failed to fulfill the preseason fixture followed by some awful weather and poor rugby that hit the gates, cash flow isn't good. I understand Salford owe the stadium company £138k as they trained there for a quite while without paying, still train here but pay now.

We have our two big home games in the second half which will help, Fax and Fev. Although the Fev game has been moved for some reason to Sat 1pm?????

Does Salford owing the stadium company money make any difference to the financial position of Leigh rugby club?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,227 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Not a rumour I'm afraid. Paul Rowley in his post-match interview praised the Leigh players for their effort and loyalty under difficult circumstances having been told on Saturday by the directors that their already overdue wages would not be paid and there was no guarantee of if/when they would be paid. He said they hadn't been paid since the Barrow game which was on 21st March. Lets hope Leigh can turn things around - they seem to be waiting for Wigan to pay them their share of the Challenge Cup match receipts which they haven't received yet.

Any ideas where the problem lies when Batley, Sheffield and Halifax manage?

#26 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Does Salford owing the stadium company money make any difference to the financial position of Leigh rugby club?

http://www.wigan.gov...ortsVillage.htm
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#27 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Any ideas where the problem lies when Batley, Sheffield and Halifax manage?

Maybe they don't have delusions of grandeur?

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,227 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Maybe they don't have delusions of grandeur?

Maybe they don't have Ken Davey putting £millions's of £million's of pounds in??

And then moaning the fans aren't responding there either.

#29 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

We own our own ground, have a frugle chairman, a successful squadbuilder fund and happy to improve year on year.  I guess we might also be realistic in the fact that we werent welcome in the inaugural Super League in 1995 so no point chasing the dream and spending big in 2013. 

"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#30 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

maybe the new stadium is costing them to much ?

Chief Crazy Eagle

#31 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

The stadium deal is critical, Widnes, Salford and Leigh have found that out. The problem is retained income and inability to control certain functions eg beer/food prices/quality, which the club then gets blamed for. The move from HP has been a negative one regarding income streams in a lower tier, these were covered over by Mr Thomas but when he left the severity of the cracks showed up quickly and the current owners will not put a penny in - making a change in ownership a priority that looks like coming off.

The debt is circa £40k historic PG's on overdraft and a £30k operational shortfall for this season explained previously - hardly life threatening but change is needed in ownership and then with the LSV contract imo.

Edited by sweaty craiq, 29 April 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#32 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thank you,some sensible,intelligent,level headed and apparently accurate comments/views - makes a pleasant change,again thank you.

#33 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,227 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

The stadium deal is critical, Widnes, Salford and Leigh have found that out. The problem is retained income and inability to control certain functions eg beer/food prices/quality, which the club then gets blamed for. The move from HP has been a negative one regarding income streams in a lower tier, these were covered over by Mr Thomas but when he left the severity of the cracks showed up quickly.

That explains it then, thank you also......

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

i wonder if the rfl will step in to pay the players wages, they have had none since march....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#35 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Sounds good that  - none since March, Aprils pay day is tomorrow, and April is the month after March. Be careful what you breathe outside.

#36 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

One thing I've never understood, and would welcome an explanation please, is why the LSV isn't one, if not the cheapest to rent. They have two clubs playing there, and have internationals too, and NRC semi + use by other clubs, football too. Some other stadia only have one club

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

One thing I've never understood, and would welcome an explanation please, is why the LSV isn't one, if not the cheapest to rent. They have two clubs playing there, and have internationals too, and NRC semi + use by other clubs, football too. Some other stadia only have one club

there's probably not too many grounds hosting just the one club now is there?

#38 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,536 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Rumours of players not being paid and serious financial difficulties AGAIN at Leigh.

What the hell is going on with our great game?

Why is this a problem with "our great game" rather than another problem at Leigh?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#39 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Not a rumour I'm afraid. Paul Rowley in his post-match interview praised the Leigh players for their effort and loyalty under difficult circumstances having been told on Saturday by the directors that their already overdue wages would not be paid and there was no guarantee of if/when they would be paid. He said they hadn't been paid since the Barrow game which was on 21st March. Lets hope Leigh can turn things around - they seem to be waiting for Wigan to pay them their share of the Challenge Cup match receipts which they haven't received yet.

Wigan should have paid Leigh their share of the cup receipts within 7 days of the game, but I doubt if that's why the players haven't been paid since the Barrow game. With Oldham having had yet another winding up order from HMRC this month, it's worrying to see two long establlshed clubs in trouble AGAIN.

#40 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

I like many get paid on the last working day of the month in arrears, so maybe as was stated earlier in this post this could be possible tomorrow.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users