Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh Players not being paid....

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 WRknight

WRknight
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Leigh coach Paul Rowley revealed his players hadn't received their match payments for at least a month, following the 20-0 win over Batley at the weekend.

The Centurions bounced back from consecutive 60-10 defeats against Wigan and Halifax to record a fine victory over the Bulldogs, which moves them level on points with their opponents in the Championship table.

It all came after a meeting with directors on Saturday revealed that the players wouldn't be paid their match payments, dating back to the win over Barrow on March 21, some seven games ago.

Rowley said: "The boys got told they've not been paid, and they weren't being paid for today (Sunday), and it's in serious doubt going forward. Some of these players are owed a considerable amount.

"It would have been quite easy to stand up and feel angry and cheated. But the boys all stood up and asked how they can help, and what can they do to support the club.

"It's not a pleasant experience, and it's been a tough couple of weeks.

"They had a hundred reasons not to perform, but they had pride, respect, friendship - all things in life money can't buy.

"I never believe they have enough people coming to watch them. It's a game of sacrifices, and it's never even nearly matched by the rewards they get."

Leigh are no stranger to financial strife, and nearly went of business at the end of 2011.

Last month, chairman Keith Freer revealed the club was suffering from cash flow problems, and that crowds were down by 400, and asked for local businesses to pledge their support for the club.

A lot could depend on how far Rowley's men can go in the Northern Rail Cup, with the draw for the last 16 due to take place on Wednesday.

#2 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Once again that club who are quick to slag our clubs off over dual reg have the begging bowls out. PATHETIC
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#3 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

I expect they'll announce the signings of a raft of ex-SL players they've out-bid more frugal clubs for soon then...

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Leigh coach Paul Rowley revealed his players hadn't received their match payments for at least a month, following the 20-0 win over Batley at the weekend.

The Centurions bounced back from consecutive 60-10 defeats against Wigan and Halifax to record a fine victory over the Bulldogs, which moves them level on points with their opponents in the Championship table.

It all came after a meeting with directors on Saturday revealed that the players wouldn't be paid their match payments, dating back to the win over Barrow on March 21, some seven games ago.

Rowley said: "The boys got told they've not been paid, and they weren't being paid for today (Sunday), and it's in serious doubt going forward. Some of these players are owed a considerable amount.

"It would have been quite easy to stand up and feel angry and cheated. But the boys all stood up and asked how they can help, and what can they do to support the club.

"It's not a pleasant experience, and it's been a tough couple of weeks.

"They had a hundred reasons not to perform, but they had pride, respect, friendship - all things in life money can't buy.

"I never believe they have enough people coming to watch them. It's a game of sacrifices, and it's never even nearly matched by the rewards they get."

Leigh are no stranger to financial strife, and nearly went of business at the end of 2011.

Last month, chairman Keith Freer revealed the club was suffering from cash flow problems, and that crowds were down by 400, and asked for local businesses to pledge their support for the club.

A lot could depend on how far Rowley's men can go in the Northern Rail Cup, with the draw for the last 16 due to take place on Wednesday.

Don't want to sound fussy, but in future could you please link to the story on our website rather than copying and pasting the full article please?

:)

Posted Image

#5 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Am i right in thinking they pay win bonus,s on top of their actually winning pay? If they do they must be crazy paying extra on top, no wonder they get in a mess.
Posted Image

#6 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Once again that club who are quick to slag our clubs off over dual reg have the begging bowls out. PATHETIC

Whose asking you to cough up any funds? Can't seem to find it in the OP.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#7 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I expect they'll announce the signings of a raft of ex-SL players they've out-bid more frugal clubs for soon then...

Put your claws away feline.

#8 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I wouldn't help Leigh out if I was a multi millionaire.
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#9 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

You never want to see any club in trouble but it's hard to feel sorry for them, particularly after the stick they gave us earlier in the year, and I'd be lying if I said I was suprised

They belittle clubs like ours all the time, but maybe it's about time they got off the high horse

#10 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Put your claws away feline.

True though isn't it.

Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#11 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Come on we all knew it was going to happen again.

Edited by Spanish Knight, 29 April 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#12 badger24

badger24
  • Coach
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

No one but indirectly our club did bail you out once with an RFL loan didn't we . Get someone in who can manage the club not just spend money

#13 knightrider

knightrider
  • Coach
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Michael Worrincey anyone!!!!

Posted Image

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Michael Worrincey anyone!!!!

To be fair, I think we were the real winners in that situation...

Posted Image

#15 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

I wouldn't help Leigh out if I was a multi millionaire.

The feelings mutual but I did n`t ask you to contribute to my club, nor will I contribute towards your club via the turnstyle.

#16 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

No one but indirectly our club did bail you out once with an RFL loan didn't we . Get someone in who can manage the club not just spend money

So indirectly as a club what did it actually cost York?

#17 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Come on we all knew it was going to happen again.

Wow a soothsayer..........give me the Euro numbers for tomorrow.

#18 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

True though isn't it.

I don`t know is it?

#19 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Wow a soothsayer..........give me the Euro numbers for tomorrow.

You'd only waste it trying to get into Super League.

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#20 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

You'd only waste it trying to get into Super League.

Wow what a comeback ... you`re good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users