Toulouse Olympique

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hosted the Elite 1 semi finals yesterday at Stade des Minimes attracting nearly 5500 to the double header. I dont know if the RFL have set them on field goals or not regarding potential Super League participation but coach Gilles Dumas spoke of reaching a Final here in 2013. Well he missed out - but not by much.

A month or so back they lost out to Avignon in the semi final of the Lord Derby Coupe up at Albi in extra time and would you believe did the same yesterday. Tied up at 22-22 at full time with Pia's Maxime Greseque grabbing an equalising penalty goal in the last minute and then seeing the Catalans take it with the golden point. The day before the TOXIII juniors U21s also saw their season finish when they lost their play off semi against Carcassonne 28-24 after finishing as runners-up on the competition ladder to the Catalans of St Esteve.

The crowd at Minimes Sunday was the biggest I think since Widnes played there in the CC quarter Final in 2005. Richard Agar the new French coach was present for the first game and was in Perpignan the day before.

By all accounts two absolute cracking games. St Esteve-XIII Catalan, the Dragons feeder club reached their first ever Final with a last minute try to beat Lezignan 18-16. So its an all Catalan affair at Stade Brutus next Sunday afternoon. For Toulouse their next important challenge will be to mobilise support for the Super League clash at Stade Ernest Wallon in June when the Dragons play Hull KR.

Edited by audois, 29 April 2013 - 11:52 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#2 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

A fantastic attendance that would be just about full. When does stadia development work, the seem in much better position than last application. Team is not far off pace of top in elite and crowds I have seen have been around that 1500 to 2500 all year. I really hope they get sl spot this time around they seem ready.
Time will tell.

#3 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

pics courtesy of gerard barrau - pia-toxiii with fijian vunakece on the charge/jean galia tribune
IMG_0130_zps084f26f8.jpg
IMG_9937_zpsb5ecd876.jpg

Edited by audois, 01 May 2013 - 01:54 PM.

"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

That Vunaceke fella was immense against York, a very good player.

Posted Image

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,978 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

I loved our visit to watch Fev in Toulouse. Fabulous experience

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Toulouse is a fantastic city, absolutely love it. Scrutinise, challenge, interrogate and leave no stone unturned in analysing their application, but if they were in the city would be a super addition to SL.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

on merit you can look no further than featherstone rovers for a super league license next time, if they miss out to toulouse then it will be a travesty of judgement.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,163 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

No. If it happens, it will be because Toulouse will  have been rated higher against the licencing criteria. 

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

what about the on field criteria and the average attendances. featherstone have consistantly been the best non super league club for the past 4 years...................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

No. If it happens, it will be because Toulouse will  have been rated higher against the licencing criteria. 

It can be because they rated higher on the criteria AND be a travesty of judgement.

FWIW I'd to see both Toulouse and Fev but if SL goes to 12 clubs, it is unlikely to happen.

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,163 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

what about the on field criteria and the average attendances. featherstone have consistantly been the best non super league club for the past 4 years...................

in which case, they have nothing to worry about.

#12 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

A fantastic attendance that would be just about full. When does stadia development work, the seem in much better position than last application. Team is not far off pace of top in elite and crowds I have seen have been around that 1500 to 2500 all year. I really hope they get sl spot this time around they seem ready.
Time will tell.

They've put a decent side together this past year but I think the key has been the quality of their overseas lads. Most of their locals played with the club when they where in the Championship. Next season will be interesting because it appears Zalduendo as head of the game here appears to be looking at reducing the overseas players at all the clubs - am hearing that four could be the number. The positive thing for TOXIII though is their juniors have had a good year and as you say the crowds do look like they've improved of late.

#13 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Except Fev is a small village with no commercial or strategic benefit to SL. If Cas struggle in SL now, Fev will do worse.

I would wager there is less than 0% chance the RFL would EVER let Fev into SL.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Except Fev is a small village with no commercial or strategic benefit to SL. If Cas struggle in SL now, Fev will do worse.

Fev has a big catchment area and has Pontefract as part of its area.

If the RFL EVER bars a club on the basis of geography I would recommend that all clubs outside the SL switch codes in protest.

We need automatic promotion brought back so its clear who is going up and there isno fannying about behind closed doors

#15 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Where is the commercial benefit in further ##### off many thousands of fans outside SL (inc dormant ones who still subscribe to sky) by crazy Australian schemes like not letting clubs go up?

Best to try and keep everyone happy and promote the likes of Fev AND get the Grench clubs in

#16 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,978 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

No. If it happens, it will be because Toulouse will have been rated higher against the licencing criteria.

You may take that view if you trust the process and the rfl.
I don't.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#17 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Where is the commercial benefit in further ##### off many thousands of fans outside SL (inc dormant ones who still subscribe to sky) by crazy Australian schemes like not letting clubs go up?
Best to try and keep everyone happy and promote the likes of Fev AND get the Grench clubs in

I think people forget that things weren't so rosy when P&R was in place. Clubs used to complain they didn't get enough time to pull a decent team together when they were promoted, and usually had woeful squads. Those that did survive did so by loading their team with sometimes up to 13-14 second rate imports at a time.

Remember Leigh's debacle of a season in SL? They were regularly hammered by more than 50 each game and barely won a game. Cas had several times where they did the same. Hull KR only survived because of bending every rule possible to fit as many imports as they could in their team. They are paying for it now though as they have no youth system.

P&R was ######. It was then, and it would be ###### in future if it were reintroduced. There is no way SL would be strengthened by having a newly promoted team each year (getting whipped), and the Championship would not be strengthened by having clubs make themselves broke trying to chase one year in SL.

The RFL did a great thing bringing in the licensing system, and it makes a better comp today, with more English youngsters given a chance. The game is suffering a the moment due to a lack of money. Bringing back P&R won't fix that. Your barking up the wrong tree with that one.

Edited by goldcoaster, 02 May 2013 - 09:45 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

like i have already stated look no further than featherstone for a license.........

#19 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I think people forget that things weren't so rosy when P&R was in place. Clubs used to complain they didn't get enough time to pull a decent team together when they were promoted, and usually had woeful squads. Those that did survive did so by loading their team with sometimes up to 13-14 second rate imports at a time.

Remember Leigh's debacle of a season in SL? They were regularly hammered by more than 50 each game and barely won a game. Cas had several times where they did the same. Hull KR only survived because of bending every rule possible to fit as many imports as they could in their team. They are paying for it now though as they have no youth system.

P&R was ######. It was then, and it would be ###### in future if it were reintroduced. There is no way SL would be strengthened by having a newly promoted team each year (getting whipped), and the Championship would not be strengthened by having clubs make themselves broke trying to chase one year in SL.

The RFL did a great thing bringing in the licensing system, and it makes a better comp today, with more English youngsters given a chance. The game is suffering a the moment due to a lack of money. Bringing back P&R won't fix that. Your barking up the wrong tree with that one.

Fans at least had something to dream of and the games meant something. Fans were happier before and now they are livid. Now games are meaningless.

I dont see a sudden upsurge in home grown talent or downturn in overseas players- or for that matter clubs outside/inside SL being better off financially (e.g.Bradford, Crusaders etc). Also SL games at the bottom are boring compared to when we had relegation. For example Londons atmos and game enjoyment was always far better when there was the threat of relegation

Btw Leigh were not regularly whipped by 50 and the one year in SL had some benefits (like our younger fans having a time in the Sun).

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 02 May 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#20 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

like i have already stated look no further than featherstone for a license.........

If Widnes had still been bumbling along in the middle of NL1 outside SL would you have said the same?

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 02 May 2013 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users