Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse Olympique

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#181 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Yet if they were in super league next weekend they would pull a bigger attendance than Salford and London.

Both London and salford have averaged crowds in Superleague bigger that Featherstone ever averaged in the days of division one.

Would Featherstone pull crowds bigger than Salford or London if like those two clubs they were coming in the bottom two or three of SL every year year on year?

Fev fans have agreed a 5,000 crowd would be a ralistic start for superlegue. That's what Widnes got. Salford also got over a 5,000 average last year despite struggling.

Edited by The Parksider, 08 May 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#182 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

why are the broncos so poor then if they have an infinite amount of talent.

it's only just starting to come through, trust me it's there. I'd also like to say I have no problem whatsoever in Featherstone being promoted (or Broncos going down). If they hack it, fantastic. If they dont, that's life.

And as the title of the thread is about another team entirely - I'd love to see Toulouse back playing over here, but this time as fully pro.

#183 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Nope it's not going to work like that.

Toulouse will be considered against the French TV deal and civic and aerospace money they can bring to the comp and their importance to French International RL.

Featherstone will not be considered against the Pontefract network TV deal and the Featherstone town hall and Linpac money they can bring to the comp and their importance to English International RL.

Instead they will wave mr. Nahaboos money at the licensing commitee and provide newspaper clippings of reports showing Hudgell, O'Connor and Fulton don't want to know any more

Just a thought, has anyone consulted our existing broadcast partner?

Can't see them selling too many subscriptions in Toulouse, but they might lose a few in Hull/Cas/Salford/Wakefield

#184 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Just a thought, has anyone consulted our existing broadcast partner?

Can't see them selling too many subscriptions in Toulouse, but they might lose a few in Hull/Cas/Salford/Wakefield

Sky sell packages: people who subscribe to the sports package get the whole lot. I'm not interested in any other sport, but buy the package. sky do not make their money from this. As with all commercial outlets...newspapers, magazines, tv, radio, sky make their money from advertising. A competition with a wider European element is almost bound to have positive implications for sky's advertising. Toulouse are a massively better bet than featherstone rivers when it comes to the future if the competition

Has it occurred to you that people might watch sky sports output even though they might not have any connection with that sport: but purely for the entertainment on offer: Spanish soccer, Southern Hemisphere rugby union, show jumping, boxing and so on

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 May 2013 - 07:39 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#185 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

I find the tic tac death by a thousand passes of Barcelona extremly boring.

#186 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

it's only just starting to come through, trust me it's there. I'd also like to say I have no problem whatsoever in Featherstone being promoted (or Broncos going down). If they hack it, fantastic. If they dont, that's life.
And as the title of the thread is about another team entirely - I'd love to see Toulouse back playing over here, but this time as fully pro.

i would love all 3 in I just think people's reasoning on why fev shouldn't be in unjust when existing clubs don't offer any more

#187 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

i would love all 3 in I just think people's reasoning on why fev shouldn't be in unjust when existing clubs don't offer any more

Unjust? Get a sense of perspective chief
Keeping it local

#188 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Sky sell packages: people who subscribe to the sports package get the whole lot. I'm not interested in any other sport, but buy the package. sky do not make their money from this. As with all commercial outlets...newspapers, magazines, tv, radio, sky make their money from advertising. A competition with a wider European element is almost bound to have positive implications for sky's advertising. Toulouse are a massively better bet than featherstone rivers when it comes to the future if the competition

Has it occurred to you that people might watch sky sports output even though they might not have any connection with that sport: but purely for the entertainment on offer: Spanish soccer, Southern Hemisphere rugby union, show jumping, boxing and so on

Actually, if you analyse BskyB's accounts (i'm a shareholder), you'll see that subscription and platform carriage charges (eg what they charge the likes of Dave for using their platform) far exceed advertising revenue.

I also take Sky Sports, but only watch RL, as do many others. How many would continue if their team no longer featured?

#189 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Actually, if you analyse BskyB's accounts (i'm a shareholder), you'll see that subscription and platform carriage charges (eg what they charge the likes of Dave for using their platform) far exceed advertising revenue.

I also take Sky Sports, but only watch RL, as do many others. How many would continue if their team no longer featured?

I would guess an infinitesimal amount compared to the overall number
a little more background research is required your comment about advertising is intriguing

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 May 2013 - 09:06 PM.

Keeping it local

#190 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Unjust? Get a sense of perspective chief

perspective of what exactly that if a hand full of rich men propping up super league teams professional rugby league would not exist in this country. What makes a rich backer propping up featherstone rovers different from probably more than half the teams in super league, don't give me garbage about other factors weighing against fev like most of this thread because it all lies down to someone pumping money into the club just like the rest. So if someone will then they are no less deserving then teams at the top of super league.

#191 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

What are you talking about??

London Broncos run a fully staffed professional academy to develop players into full time professionals.

Oxford, Hemel and Skolars do not run such academies.

It's like saying a leeds lad doesn't have to go to Leeds to become a profesional player because he can join Hunslet.

I'm always after what is the truth about these issues. It's not me with a hatred of the London Broncos. I don't have "arguments" to suit what I would like to see happen, all I'm after is what's best for the game, and we will only get there if we can agree on how things really are.

You argue one thing in one thread and the exact opposite in another. You even sometimes do this on the same page.

But that aside Jason Robinson did go from being a Hunslet player to a Wigan player without ever playing for Rhinos. So yes, Hunslet could play the role of a stepping stone to SL if Rhinos did not exist, exactly the thing you argue is not possible.

Edited by Northern Sol, 08 May 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#192 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

why are the broncos so poor then if they have an infinite amount of talent.

They've only recently started the professional academy and it takes kids 10 years to go from 8 to 18 and even then the big clubs will only unearth one or two quality professionals per year. Look at the years the players at Wigan and Leeds came through and it's a very slow process.

Who knows if the Broncos will eventually turn out the quality of Leeds and wigan such that they can sit alongside them on the field, but it's a long long haul, and it must be easier for the Wigan and leeds kids to break into the pro ranks playing alongside top players in a winning team.

The "oh the London kids can sign up north" stuff is rubbish and born of a dislike for London Broncos from some quarters. London have struggled to sign northern players, adults who could hack moving 200 miles for a professional wage, never mind kids playing for peanuts in youth teams.

I suppose if Broncos go they'll keep the academy in line with Cumbrian and Welsh academies, but it will be put to every RL kid in London wanting a pro career that the deal is make it down here and you'll have to leave for the north.

It's ridiculous to argue this will all be OK on the basis that you just don't like London Broncos.

#193 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

Here come the one sentence responses to some (but not all) stupid comments

It's not much of a point to argue that London should remain a SL side because their academy has produced more SL players than a club that has never been a SL side. How would a Fev academy player play SL other than by leaving the Fev club altogether? 

by leaving the club after playing for the academy much like Louie Mc' Scars is a London product

But the point is the game needs players to be developed in BOTH Feathersone AND in London.

Wether in Featherstones demise their best locals will just sign at Wakefield, and wether on London Broncos demise the best RL players will give up and go to Union for want of a local professional club to follow a career at is the central point.

It's just up the road from Fev to Wakey. It's 200 miles from London to Leeds academy.

exactly, there are two other existing pro clubs with pro scholarships and academies that can accommodate the best talent from Fev and its surrounding areas

Featherstone entered the professional ranks in the 1920s so I don't know where you get the 100 years from.

1920s, 1910s, it is still a long freaking time for the club to still be a minor player in the grand scheme and this will not change

Without London in SL the players being produced by London amateur clubs would get signed by other SL clubs directly or go to Hemel, Skolars or a non SL broncos and move on to SL clubs from there. I am sure there are not as many SL players from Fev because Fev actually sign them for themselves rather than them all going to SL clubs. If London need support to suceed then fine but why should they get it in preference to any other club.?

This comment has already been countered suitably by another poster.

Baseball has one club from outside the USA but in the three world cups they have held, with the USA competing, Japan has won twice and the Dominican Republic the third, so I would be wary about citing baseball to support your argument because it dosn't.

it doesn't detract from my point that there are much larger sporting competitions than SL that are purely international or have inter-national sides in them.

As usual you picked the bit of a post to support your argument and ignored the rest. There would be three semi pro clubs in the London area with another 30 miles away at Oxford who would be an alternative option for players coming out of London amateur RL as well as the SL clubs from the North.

So some would sign directly for the London clubs and move to SL outfits if they were found to be good enough and some would sign directly for SL clubs and revert to the London semi pro game if they were cut loose from SL. This is just like the scenario in Cumbria and other areas, Oldham maybe.

The fate of the London amateur scene does not hinge on the fate of the Broncos.thank goodness.

who is talking about the survival of the London amateur scene and when in the past have northern clubs signed promising southern youngsters before.

I remain unconvinced that the burgeoning of the amateur game in London over recent years has anything other than a tenuous link with London Broncos being in Superleague.  It's not like the kids are watching the Broncos in any numbers is it?

we were discussing the number of youngsters graduating to SL (at any club) that have been trained through the London academies.

a mistaken multi quote click on this one

Edited by John Drake, 09 May 2013 - 09:18 AM.
Insults removed

#194 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

perspective of what exactly that if a hand full of rich men propping up super league teams professional rugby league would not exist in this country. What makes a rich backer propping up featherstone rovers different from probably more than half the teams in super league, don't give me garbage about other factors weighing against fev like most of this thread because it all lies down to someone pumping money into the club just like the rest. So if someone will then they are no less deserving then teams at the top of super league.

somebody tries to make sense of the historic messes  that Rugy League is in: please don't make me go over them yet again. . It doesn't suit you and that makes it 'unjust'. Playing the victim card seems to be some kind of tradition.

Would you like some examples of real injustices?

Keeping it local

#195 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Featherstone are growing at a faster rate than some SL clubs and in some cases the SL clubs are going backwards. Just because I'm a Fev fan it doesn't cloud my judgement and I'm not saying Fev should be in SL( as its a small place). But Fev have/are doing everything that was asked of them to become an elite team so on that basis alone I don't see why they or any other club for that matter who meet the criteria can't be aloud a crack at the top flight as long as they have the financial backing to back it up and make a serious go of it.

#196 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

somebody tries to make sense of the historic messes that Rugy League is in: please don't make me go over them yet again. . It doesn't suit you and that makes it 'unjust'. Playing the victim card seems to be some kind of tradition.

Would you like some examples of real injustices?

ha ha ha utter garbage if fev can afford it like they say they can they should be put in infront of a number of clubs already in who can't.

#197 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

This doesn't surprise me at all.  Sky+ has dented significantly the number of adverts that I endure nowadays, the only exception being the ones during live sport.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#198 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Here come the one sentence responses to some (but not all) stupid comments

by leaving the club after playing for the academy much like Louie Mc' Scars is a London product

In which case you would claim that they were not a Fev product at all. Does anyone claim that Jason Robinson was a Hunslet product?

#199 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

They've only recently started the professional academy and it takes kids 10 years to go from 8 to 18 and even then the big clubs will only unearth one or two quality professionals per year. Look at the years the players at Wigan and Leeds came through and it's a very slow process.

Who knows if the Broncos will eventually turn out the quality of Leeds and wigan such that they can sit alongside them on the field, but it's a long long haul, and it must be easier for the Wigan and leeds kids to break into the pro ranks playing alongside top players in a winning team.

The "oh the London kids can sign up north" stuff is rubbish and born of a dislike for London Broncos from some quarters. London have struggled to sign northern players, adults who could hack moving 200 miles for a professional wage, never mind kids playing for peanuts in youth teams.

I suppose if Broncos go they'll keep the academy in line with Cumbrian and Welsh academies, but it will be put to every RL kid in London wanting a pro career that the deal is make it down here and you'll have to leave for the north.

It's ridiculous to argue this will all be OK on the basis that you just don't like London Broncos.

London have struggled to sign northern players because they have no money. For the same reason they struggle to retain London born and bred players.

#200 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Well that's over half the SL relegated then.Our BOD as said we want to be a top 6 team in SL not just to make the numbers up. We also have investors waiting in the wings if we get the nod for SL. I think the RFL would be foolish to turn all that money away from the game.

Where are these players going to come from to make you a top 6 club may I ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users