Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse Olympique

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#21 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

I think people forget that things weren't so rosy when P&R was in place. Clubs used to complain they didn't get enough time to pull a decent team together when they were promoted, and usually had woeful squads. Those that did survive did so by loading their team with sometimes up to 13-14 second rate imports at a time.

Remember Leigh's debacle of a season in SL? They were regularly hammered by more than 50 each game and barely won a game. Cas had several times where they did the same. Hull KR only survived because of bending every rule possible to fit as many imports as they could in their team. They are paying for it now though as they have no youth system.

P&R was ######. It was then, and it would be ###### in future if it were reintroduced. There is no way SL would be strengthened by having a newly promoted team each year (getting whipped), and the Championship would not be strengthened by having clubs make themselves broke trying to chase one year in SL.

The RFL did a great thing bringing in the licensing system, and it makes a better comp today, with more English youngsters given a chance. The game is suffering a the moment due to a lack of money. Bringing back P&R won't fix that. Your barking up the wrong tree with that one.

This.

Featherstone add nothing to the commercial profile of the sport, putting them in ahead of Toulouse would be a big step backwards.

Yes I can see why their introduction into SL is supported by some people within the game but it's all propped up by one man.Should he decided to pull out then how would the business be financially sustainable?

Toulouse are supported by a mixture of local funding and a vast commercial sponsorship portfolio as well as FFR XIII and the existing shareholders there is a greater balance there and not dependant on the good will of a single individual.

#22 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Not to mention the fact that SL already has 5 clubs in the West Yorkshire area.

#23 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

This.

Featherstone add nothing to the commercial profile of the sport, putting them in ahead of Toulouse would be a big step backwards.

Yes I can see why their introduction into SL is supported by some people within the game but it's all propped up by one man.Should he decided to pull out then how would the business be financially sustainable?

Toulouse are supported by a mixture of local funding and a vast commercial sponsorship portfolio as well as FFR XIII and the existing shareholders there is a greater balance there and not dependant on the good will of a single individual.

It's not necessarily what Fev will add, rather what RL will lose if it does not promote the best club (currently Fev but wouldnt it be great if it was clarified by winning most "on pitch" points?).

If the RFL puts Toulouse in rather than Fev I really do think that all clubs inc my own, should leave the RFL.

Like you I really want Toulouse in SL, but it shouldnt be at the expense of a NL club like Fev. Better to relegate the bottom one or two clubs if necessary

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

Btw Leigh were not regularly whipped by 50

Wigan 62 Leigh 6
Saints 60 Leigh 16
Leigh 4 Saints 78
Fartown 68 Leigh 16
Leigh 0 Leeds 74
London 70 Leigh 16
Leigh 4 Leeds 60

Your right. Leigh only shipped 50 odd once.......

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

How would Huddersfield be financially stable, or Widnes?

Just give them a turn, they have never had one and should get one.

#26 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

I think people forget that things weren't so rosy when P&R was in place. Clubs used to complain they didn't get enough time to pull a decent team together when they were promoted, and usually had woeful squads. Those that did survive did so by loading their team with sometimes up to 13-14 second rate imports at a time.

Remember Leigh's debacle of a season in SL? They were regularly hammered by more than 50 each game and barely won a game. Cas had several times where they did the same. Hull KR only survived because of bending every rule possible to fit as many imports as they could in their team. They are paying for it now though as they have no youth system.

P&R was ######. It was then, and it would be ###### in future if it were reintroduced. There is no way SL would be strengthened by having a newly promoted team each year (getting whipped), and the Championship would not be strengthened by having clubs make themselves broke trying to chase one year in SL.

The RFL did a great thing bringing in the licensing system, and it makes a better comp today, with more English youngsters given a chance. The game is suffering a the moment due to a lack of money. Bringing back P&R won't fix that. Your barking up the wrong tree with that one.

bob on.

#27 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

Bring back P/r every 2 years.

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

The licensing system picks the best clubs able to handle Superleague.

It hasn't yet declared there's one place up for grabs 2015.

It hasn't said the race for that one place is between Featherstone and Toulouse.

We had this several years ago when the accusations were Crusaders had pinched Widnes' rightful place.

#29 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Wigan 62 Leigh 6
Saints 60 Leigh 16
Leigh 4 Saints 78
Fartown 68 Leigh 16
Leigh 0 Leeds 74
London 70 Leigh 16
Leigh 4 Leeds 60

Your right. Leigh only shipped 50 odd once.......

So what -not much different to other SL clubs. There were 28 games that season I think, not 7.
We also kept all those teams bar Leeds within 10pts in the return game.

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

So what -not much different to other SL clubs.

So that's my point clubs shouldn't be in SL if they get hammered regularly and that includes Leigh, Halifax, Salford, London Cas, HKR Fev whoever.

Your excuse about how leigh did Ok in other matches is irrelevant. The whole season was one of losses and defeats and a turning off of the fans many who stopped even though they had season tickets You want to go back to that fine, I don't care but don't make out it's good for the game.

#31 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

The licensing system picks the best clubs able to handle Superleague.

It hasn't yet declared there's one place up for grabs 2015.

It hasn't said the race for that one place is between Featherstone and Toulouse.

We had this several years ago when the accusations were Crusaders had pinched Widnes' rightful place.

crusaders didn't pinch widnes place in super league, the rfl acted with indecent hast to promote crusaders before they were ready just because they wanted a welsh club in the top flight. that is why they should tread very carefully when handing out the new licenses, after all toulouse were hardly a success in the championships were they!!!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

This.

The health of the game is in its pyramid system. Fev may not add much to the commercial value but their promotion will keep other CC / CC1 clubs believing that their club could also do it. Otherwise there will be a huge fall in attendances at non-SL clubs.

Edited by Northern Sol, 03 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Fev has a big catchment area and has Pontefract as part of its area.

People talk about Pontefract as though it's a huge metropolis. About 29000 people live there.

Edited by Griff, 03 May 2013 - 11:37 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Fans at least had something to dream of ...........

That's the problem. Too many dreamers in the game.

#35 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

People talk about Pontefract as though it's a huge metropolis. About 29000 people live there.

It's also not Fev's alone. My bother-in-law is from Ponte and he supports Cas.

#36 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

It's also not Fev's alone. My bother-in-law is from Ponte and he supports Cas.

Bother-in-law ? Freudian slip ?

I live in Ponte Carlo and I support Sheffield. I wouldn't suggest that Ponte Carlo is part of Sheffield's catchment area.

#37 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

like i have said featherstone are the best team outside of super league in either england or france and should be considered for a license before any other non super league team, if as seems possible to replace castleford.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Bother-in-law ? Freudian slip ?

Ooops.

Far from it.

#39 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

"like i have said featherstone are the best team outside of super league in either england or france and should be considered for a license before any other non super league team, if as seems possible to replace castleford. "

To be fair, the current champions are Sheffield Eagles, so by rights until someone wins the grand final this year, Sheffield should be the number 1 contender for a shot at Super Duper League, not Featherstone.

Id say as its a city and has massive potential, coupled with the above fact makes them a more appealing proposition that Featherstone.

In an ideal world the best side outside SL playing wise should be the next ones in.

Unfortunately this isnt an ideal world, and the RFL are in charge of it!
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#40 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

To be fair, the current champions are Sheffield Eagles, so by rights until someone wins the grand final this year, Sheffield should be the number 1 contender for a shot at Super Duper League, not Featherstone.

Id say as its a city and has massive potential ........

Yet it has no track record of anything but modest attendances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users