Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse Olympique

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

People keep going on about fev being too small not big enough catchment area yet they are pulling in bigger crowds than London and Salford

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

apart from the super league clubs featherstone are the only genuine contenders for a license.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

People keep going on about fev being too small not big enough catchment area yet they are pulling in bigger crowds than London and Salford

It's a hell of a lot easier to pull in crowds when you are winning 80% of your matches.

#44 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

like i have said featherstone are the best team outside of super league in either england or france and should be considered for a license before any other non super league team, if as seems possible to replace castleford.

So replace Castlefords big team with a smaller club from the same town? That would be like replacing Newcastle Knights with the Cessnock Goannas.

Just face it, Fev has no place in SL. Period.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

people think fev have just become a small town in the wmdc yes maybe we are small but we used to live with the big boys in sl post sl we have competed with the likes of wigan leeds and been to wembly 5 times in our history !!! so less of the small town please ok

#46 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

So replace Castlefords big team with a smaller club from the same town? That would be like replacing Newcastle Knights with the Cessnock Goannas.

Quite the obnoxious p1llock aren't we Goldcoaster, thanks for your input

Edited by Ponterover, 03 May 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#47 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

You're a dreamer mate.......This is England, not Australia. Soccer is the major sport over here, so much so that Manchester is a Rugby League wasteland.

When people say that Rugby league is the greatest game, some idiots think they also mean the greatest sport! There is a big difference in the definitions of those two words. When Super league was formed it was meant to raise the profile of the sport in this country, but if anything it has gone backwards since Union went professional. I believe that Rugby League is the greatest game, but as a sport it is a complete joke, especially in London and Wales. If you want to bring Toulouse in, do it by accepting that the game will never succeed in London and drop the Broncos instead, and concentrate a bit more on giving the Championship clubs something to play for. Otherwise ask yourself where the next Iestyn Harris and Kevin Sinfield are going to come from, because if the current lunacy goes on it won't be from places like Oldham!

#48 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

What an idiot you really are!!! Fev is not on its knees financially like c@s is. Fevs ground will soon be better than their skip. What right have you to say Fev has no place in SL? Fev as never had the chance of top flight rugby and IMO if given the chance would take it with both hands and make a better fist of it than some of the SL clubs in their have.

#49 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

That Toulouse side people are talking about would be better in S/L than Fev because they couldn't compete in the championship so should do well in the big league and every away match they would bring 1000 fans over and fill the coffers of other S/L clubs NOT

Do what's right and give the right teams the chance that are working hard to achieve that

#50 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Fev should only be in SL only if they replace Cas. Adding another team from around that area is just pointless. Featherstone are attracting 3k + fans in the Championship which is great, they need to find 5k more to sustain in SL.

If Fev get into SL they'll be lucky to win 25% of their games, which makes it harder to attract fans. Theyre getting 3k fans on winning most their games. When a club appears to be on the up and winning games it's easy to get fans through the turnstyles.Barrow have done it, Fax have done it now Fev are doing it. The hard part is keeping the fans when the club are facing hard times which they will in SL.

Now the point about Toulouse, yes they did poorly in CC but it's not all about their performances. Having Toulouse in SL is a huge step forward commercially. Any sponsor looking at potentially sponsoring the competition will see the name Toulouse and recognise them instantly and make the comp more attractive. In a sponsors head they'll have a vision of having advertisements getting seen by the people of Toulouse which is a huge name, they won't get this with Featherstone.

Nothing wrong with having Fev in SL they deserve it, but it wont be a step forward.

#51 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I am just giving my opinion on the future of the game. I'm not attacking anyone personally, and I don't have any club biases, as I don't support anyone. I just want the game to prosper over here. I can't see it happening with P&R back or Fev in SL. Just my opinion.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

I am just giving my opinion on the future of the game. I'm not attacking anyone personally, and I don't have any club biases, as I don't support anyone. I just want the game to prosper over here. I can't see it happening with P&R back or Fev in SL. Just my opinion.

Yes but we could say the same about some teams currently in SL ( not naming any names as it wouldn't be fair).

#53 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

It's the centre of the world.   

People talk about Pontefract as though it's a huge metropolis. About 29000 people live there.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#54 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Why are you so dead against allowing us the have our day.  Is that not what sport is about?  We deserve the chance to play at the highest level and watch RL at the highest level.  I have watched this sport all over the country, in facilities barely better than amateur. 

By the way you brain washed idiots ought to a good look at the sport and you might just realise that there is nothing really super about SL.  Same ###### different name.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#55 danny79

danny79
  • Facebook
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

at end of day fev,halifax,sheffield,barrow,hunslet dewsbury,should all have earned the right to play in sl.
but in this crazy game the teams area and ground and fan base comes in to it,the game is played on the pitch not in the board room.
iv lost count of the amount of people that have walked away from the game because of this it is a joke.
fans want to see there team play at the highest level is that so wrong??

#56 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

this is rugby league, not top trumps, you bludger

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Featherstone are attracting 3k + fans in the Championship

No they are not.

It's one crowd of over 3K

Last year they averaged 2,060.......

#58 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

When people say that Rugby league is the greatest game, some idiots think they also mean the greatest sport! There is a big difference in the definitions of those two words.

Yet your post shows that you have absolutely no idea what the definition of "sport" is and you have the audacity to call others "idiots"...
Posted Image

#59 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Do what's right and give the right teams the chance that are working hard to achieve that

They have worked hard, and have not just blustered on about SL to keep fans interested.

The state of the lower end of SL is bad enough to make denying Fev a go at Superleague totally unfair.

This is a club that has achieved many times in the past, and through circumstance has never had a go at Superleague.

I think about 22 clubs have had a chance to make a go of Superleague.

To not give Rovers that chance is beyond any definition of "sporting" or "fairness" and is essential even if it;s just on a "for old times sake" basis.

Having said that what people miss IMHO is the fact that neither Cas nor Wakefield have yet established themselves as Superleague clubs in the area.

To deny Rovers a chance on the basis another club MAY do well and overshadow them is beyond the pale.

#60 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

No they are not.

It's one crowd of over 3K

Last year they averaged 2,060.......

Should of put attracted really but it still makes the point the same, there is along way to go to be sustainable in SL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users