Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse Olympique

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#101 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I can understand Fev fans wanting what's best for their club. But putting Fev in SL over Toulouse would be akin to putting the Newtown Jets in the NRL over Perth

could not have said it better myself

#102 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

you having a laugh? Fev couldn't compete in the SL but suitable for Champ. Another Leigh springs to mind or Workington need I go on?

Right I wasn't going to say this but you've driven me to it. Expansion doesn't work barring one fluke which was Catalans. How many times have the RFL tried and failed? Every champ club that wants SL as worked its butt off for that one crack at it and teams like Toulouse. Crusaders Paris etc come along and everything's rosey and they give them a chance till it goes belly up then they look for another expansion team to do the same its a complete laughing stock.

Edited by thundergaz, 07 May 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#103 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

I can understand Fev fans wanting what's best for their club. But putting Fev in SL over Toulouse would be akin to putting the Newtown Jets in the NRL over Perth

i couldn't care less who went in the nrl and never will, this is about fev competing and winning trophys again in the top flight as they did in the past

#104 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Right I wasn't going to say this but you've driven me to it. Expansion doesn't work barring one fluke which was Catalans. How many times have the RFL tried and failed? Every champ club that wants SL as worked its but off for that one crack at it and teams like Toulouse. Crusaders Paris etc come along and everything's rosey and they give them a chance till it goes belly up then they look for another expansion team to do the same its a complete laughing stock.

im sorry but I couldnt help myself. Gaz, you may well be the most die hard club supporter in the world and that is respectable.

Unfortunately for you, a sound business decision to do away with promotion and relegation has been made. So to continue talking about clubs who work their butts off for a crack is no longer the issue.

My only issue is that we would not be having this conversation if the RFL had the balls in the first place to make the decision to make SL a closed shop and allow entrants into the competition only when the competition and the new club or franchise could justify it.

By having this licencing system under review every three years has only given supporters of clubs like yours the false belief that your club will ever get the chance to play in the SL again.

#105 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

i couldn't care less who went in the nrl and never will, this is about fev competing and winning trophys again in the top flight as they did in the past

won't happen, Im sorry Daz but Fev don't deserve to be in the top flight

#106 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Is there any point in having teams outside of SL? Because they never get the chance to play in it because of all these so called rich expansion teams and no P&R. The so called rich expansion teams last 5 mins and then its we will wait 3 year for another mug of an expansion team to come along.

#107 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

im sorry but I couldnt help myself. Gaz, you may well be the most die hard club supporter in the world and that is respectable.

Unfortunately for you, a sound business decision to do away with promotion and relegation has been made. So to continue talking about clubs who work their butts off for a crack is no longer the issue.

My only issue is that we would not be having this conversation if the RFL had the balls in the first place to make the decision to make SL a closed shop and allow entrants into the competition only when the competition and the new club or franchise could justify it.

By having this licencing system under review every three years has only given supporters of clubs like yours the false belief that your club will ever get the chance to play in the SL again.

That's what I mean. Did you watch the footy at the weekend ( take note RFL) the atmosphere in every division was amazing because of P&R. Our game lacks that and alot more. At least four teams in SL play at least 10 friendlies a season and then they wonder why fans are walking away from the game and attendances are dropping it just makes you laugh beyond belief.

Edited by thundergaz, 07 May 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#108 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Right I wasn't going to say this but you've driven me to it. Expansion doesn't work barring one fluke which was Catalans.

Is it a coincidence that that "fluke" was the only French club in the competition ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#109 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Is it a coincidence that that "fluke" was the only French club in the competition ?

What about Paris Richie? They failed so that doesn't wash.

#110 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Is there any point in having teams outside of SL? Because they never get the chance to play in it because of all these so called rich expansion teams and no P&R. The so called rich expansion teams last 5 mins and then its we will wait 3 year for another mug of an expansion team to come along.

at a professional level it is debatable. I don't particularly believe the Championship brings an awful lot to the table unless the clubs in it have direct links to SL clubs and act as feeder teams. The competition costs the RFL money that could be invested more suitably into the elite competition.

#111 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

That's what I mean. Did you watch the footy at the weekend ( take note RFL) the atmosphere in every division was amazing because of P&R. Our game lacks that and alot more. At least four teams in SL play at least 10 friendlies a season and then they wonder why fans are walking away from the game and attendances are dropping it just makes you laugh beyond belief.

Yep, but football is a different game to Rugby League, and the gulf between divisions in RL (both in terms of players and finances)!is too big. And 3-4 months is too big a time to rebuild a squad for SL. You must ave a short memory, as these were the exact reasons it was scrapped in the first place.

I appreciate the passion you have for your club, but that's all it is. There is not one bit of common sense in what you are saying. Fev still have a place in the game, but it's not in the top flight. That era of the game has passed. But they can still survive and thrive as a feeder club to Wakefield.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#112 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Right I wasn't going to say this but you've driven me to it.

He's driven you to speak complete parochial nonsense?

Expansion doesn't work barring one fluke which was Catalans.

The fact that you've dismissed successful expansion as a fluke completely kills your original argument within one sentence! How can you call it a fluke?

How many times have the RFL tried and failed?

How many times have heartland clubs tried and failed? Does that mean heartlands rugby league doesn't work?

Every champ club that wants SL as worked its butt off for that one crack at it

And expansion clubs don't work as hard, is that what you're saying? Really?

and teams like Toulouse. Crusaders Paris etc come along and everything's rosey and they give them a chance till it goes belly up then they look for another expansion team to do the same

Paris was a part of the original SL concept. You forget that they also gave Workington and Oldham a chance. How did things work out for them?
Crusaders finished as the 14th best team in British pro rugby league in 2008. They deserved it on the field, but off field was subjective.
And Toulouse in the Championship was never going to work. I'm sure you know why. It's not because they're an expansion team before you start! It's because it's impractical for a semi pro team to compete 850 miles away every other week as players have other jobs!

its a complete laughing stock.

Your post was a complete laughing stock.
Posted Image

#113 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

at a professional level it is debatable. I don't particularly believe the Championship brings an awful lot to the table unless the clubs in it have direct links to SL clubs and act as feeder teams. The competition costs the RFL money that could be invested more suitably into the elite competition.

I know lets do away with all the teams outside of SL who are not feeder clubs and make them teams play in a reserve/academy league for the SL clubs. Your going the right way for a job at the RFL headquarters I will give you that.

Edited by thundergaz, 07 May 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#114 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yep, but football is a different game to Rugby League, and the gulf between divisions in RL (both in terms of players and finances)!is too big. And 3-4 months is too big a time to rebuild a squad for SL. You must ave a short memory, as these were the exact reasons it was scrapped in the first place.

I appreciate the passion you have for your club, but that's all it is. There is not one bit of common sense in what you are saying. Fev still have a place in the game, but it's not in the top flight. That era of the game has passed. But they can still survive and thrive as a feeder club to Wakefield.

Personally I think there is still a place in the game for P&R. But I also think it's essential in order to expand that there is some form of franchising. Surely there's a best of both worlds solution?
Posted Image

#115 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

What about Paris Richie? They failed so that doesn't wash.

To be fair, Paris is not exactly RL heartlands of France. Comparing Paris to Cats and Toulouse is like comparing London to Leeds, from what I understand.

#116 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

All I'm saying is if Toulouse want SL put them in SL2 (if it happens) and let them battle it out with the rest of us instead of just giving them the golden ticket because they are an expansion club.

#117 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

All I'm saying is if Toulouse want SL put them in SL2 (if it happens) and let them battle it out with the rest of us instead of just giving them the golden ticket because they are an expansion club.

why shouldn't new professional clubs be given more of an advantage to enter SL than heritage clubs. Those heritage Champ clubs like Fev have had over or near to 100 years to become the household names and global superpowers that they are today.

Lets help a club like Toulouse to become as powerful and renowned as Fev in a little less than the 100 years it has taken them. Who knows, they may even become bigger.

#118 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

why shouldn't new professional clubs be given more of an advantage to enter SL than heritage clubs. Those heritage Champ clubs like Fev have had over or near to 100 years to become the household names and global superpowers that they are today.

Lets help a club like Toulouse to become as powerful and renowned as Fev in a little less than the 100 years it has taken them. Who knows, they may even become bigger.

Before SL came in we were in the top flight. SL killed our club why can't we get that chance to play top flight rugby again where we rightfully belong? As we weren't relegated before SL came on the scene we just got the boot.

#119 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Before SL came in we were in the top flight. SL killed our club why can't we get that chance to play top flight rugby again where we rightfully belong? As we weren't relegated before SL came on the scene we just got the boot.

I think killed is putting it strongly, it certainly changed the landscape and the ambitions.  One minute Rovers were in a cup semi final at Elland Road against Leeds, the next they were unjustly relegated.  However I think that they are probably more professionally run now than at any time I can ever remember, but what happened to them and the others was wrong.  Those that saw it as wrong were shouted down and called luddites, and what have we been left with almost 20 years later? Featherstone Rovers bumping along on crowds of circa 3000, whilst London are on just over half that having almost two decades of Sky money.  It seems as unjust now as it appeared at the time.

#120 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Because there is more criteria for a club to belong in SL than simply winning the lower division. As unjust as you feel for Fev losing its place in the top flight, the club did not suitably fulfill criteria then and neither do they now.

I can understand arguments against London's inclusion however they have never been properly given the support they need to succeed. I read or heard on the radio somewhere recently there are currently more SL players from London than from Fev. The player pool is just one of so many advantages of having them in SL at the expense of Fev or almost any other club for that matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users