Toulouse Olympique

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#121 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

I wish it were different and I pray for the day where Fev will be suitable to hold a SL spot but unfortunately at this point in time the club would take a place that would be better assigned to a different club.

#122 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Because there is more criteria for a club to belong in SL than simply winning the lower division. As unjust as you feel for Fev losing its place in the top flight, the club did not suitably fulfill criteria then and neither do they now.

Featherstone didn't win the lower division.  They finished in a non-relegation spot in the top tier.  I hope that helps.

Are we expected to believe that having Toulouse in Superleague is a massive act of collective altruism by the RFL and the member clubs, as surely the end game must be to have a French elite competition worthy of the name, and a British one too.  How do we exit from the strategy of nurturing French clubs in essentially a British league?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#123 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

I wish it were different and I pray for the day where Fev will be suitable to hold a SL spot but unfortunately at this point in time the club would take a place that would be better assigned to a different club.

Even when our BOD as said they would spend full salary cap if we got in. That's more than the teams making up the numbers do in SL at this moment in time.

Edited by thundergaz, 07 May 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#124 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Even when our BOD as said they would spend full salary cap if we got in. That's more than the teams making up the numbers do in SL at this moment in time.

Because we want more teams in SL that are aiming to be like the Leeds and Wigans of the world and realistically in this day and age, the most Fev will ever achieve is avoiding the wooden spoon. Why bring in a team that will not improve the league, just to 'give them a turn'?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#125 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Featherstone didn't win the lower division.  They finished in a non-relegation spot in the top tier.  I hope that helps.

Are we expected to believe that having Toulouse in Superleague is a massive act of collective altruism by the RFL and the member clubs, as surely the end game must be to have a French elite competition worthy of the name, and a British one too.  How do we exit from the strategy of nurturing French clubs in essentially a British league?

I understand your first point already. Unfortunately the SL is in a position where decisions of which clubs participate in it must be based with the overall welfare of the sport at hand and not the allegiance towards heritage clubs who have much less potential to become a Super club. 

NZ doesn't have an elite competition to rival the NRL or SL yet they are world champs. Rugby Union club competitions in both the northern and southern hemispheres have clubs from various nations. Furthermore so does, football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey. Why wouldn't an elite pan European RL competition be in the best interest as well?

If the club wants a SL spot, it would be better off over the next 6 years spending the money on creating one of England's elite academy and scholarship programmes

#126 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Because we want more teams in SL that are aiming to be like the Leeds and Wigans of the world and realistically in this day and age, the most Fev will ever achieve is avoiding the wooden spoon. Why bring in a team that will not improve the league, just to 'give them a turn'?

Well that's over half the SL relegated then.Our BOD as said we want to be a top 6 team in SL not just to make the numbers up. We also have investors waiting in the wings if we get the nod for SL. I think the RFL would be foolish to turn all that money away from the game.

Edited by thundergaz, 07 May 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#127 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well that's over half the SL relegated then.

It will only be a matter of time before those clubs are replaced in SL by expansion clubs unless they get their act together, and rightly so

#128 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

It will only be a matter of time before those clubs are replaced in SL by expansion clubs unless they get their act together, and rightly so

Measure that time in decades.

#129 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

Because supporters of the other CC clubs need to believe that their club might be "given a turn"; otherwise they'll jack it in and we'll be left with a league of amateur teams below SL. In order to develop the sides like Sheffield that might one day challenge the Wigans and Leedses, we need to have a vibrant league pyramid.  

#130 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

Because there is more criteria for a club to belong in SL than simply winning the lower division. As unjust as you feel for Fev losing its place in the top flight, the club did not suitably fulfill criteria then and neither do they now.

I can understand arguments against London's inclusion however they have never been properly given the support they need to succeed. I read or heard on the radio somewhere recently there are currently more SL players from London than from Fev. The player pool is just one of so many advantages of having them in SL at the expense of Fev or almost any other club for that matter.

What does "from Fev" mean exactly?

I don't think Fev has a hospital so the number of people born there is close to zero. So what makes someone a Fev lad?

#131 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

Because supporters of the other CC clubs need to believe that their club might be "given a turn"; otherwise they'll jack it in and we'll be left with a league of amateur teams below SL. In order to develop the sides like Sheffield that might one day challenge the Wigans and Leedses, we need to have a vibrant league pyramid.

Do they need to believe? Newton Jets, Redcliffe Dolphins, Cessnock Goannas. They are all vibrant 2nd tier teams with decent followings. Their fans know they will never make the big time in the NRL, but that doesn't stop them. Fans just enjoy watching their local team, then have a favourite NRL team too.

Why can't Fev fans watch their team in the 2nd tier feeder league, then support a SL team like Leeds or Wakefield too?

I can hear the rebuttals now "goldcoaster, you don't understand. SL is not the NRL". And it never will be if clubs like Fev are a part of it unfortunately. Yes, it may not seem fair that things such as corporate potential, economic sustainability and catchment area play a bigger role in the make-up of the competition then on-field efforts, but that's sport in the 21st century.

Edited by goldcoaster, 08 May 2013 - 06:26 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#132 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

I read or heard on the radio somewhere recently there are currently more SL players from London than from Fev. The player pool is just one of so many advantages of having them in SL at the expense of Fev or almost any other club for that matter.

Larry said......

"One minute Rovers were in a cup semi final at Elland Road against Leeds, the next they were unjustly relegated".

In 1983 Rovers won the cup with nearly the whole team local born from Fev and Ponte. By the 1995 cup semi final they only had one local first teamer playing - Martin Pearson.

Yes the "player pool" is a reason they keep London in SL, which has been stated in articles. How hard that pool would be hit by London's exclusion from the pro ranks who knows but people in the south east should IMHO have a professional club to enter the playing pyramid and aim to play for. If only that club could compete better.

The most pro's come from the Leeds and Wigan areas and these clubs success probably has a lot to do with it.

Toulouse will also be about the "Player pool" recently Les Cats have had some good French players gravitate to first team, and Toulouse want to follow. The prize of a decen French International side is massive for the game. The money they say will flow from the Maire and local Aerospace industry is a draw card, as is a second TV deal.

Those advantages are a no brainer and there's no comparison with Fev. And no comparison with Cas, HKR, Salford, Widnes either. It's NOT Fev.v.Toulouse poor old Fev.....

#133 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

What does "from Fev" mean exactly?

I don't think Fev has a hospital so the number of people born there is close to zero. So what makes someone a Fev lad?

Is this a trick question? Ah, maybe someone who grows up in Featherstone?

#134 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

The money they say will flow from the Maire and local Aerospace industry is a draw card, as is a second TV deal.

These are the things I don't get. I don't like the phrase 'they say'. Why not ensure that these deals are in place with the caveat that Toulouse must be in SL? Other things - will this sponsorship only benefit Toulouse? And, do we really want to be sponsored by a defence company?

#135 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

fev have never been given the chance to compete in super league, the season before super league the were in the challenge cup semis and weren't they premiership winners at old Trafford a cuple of seasons before also beating the all conquering Wigan team. Fev have built up on and off the pitch to be ready for super league so if anybody shuld have the right for super league it is featherstone rovers!!

Yes but it's not Toulouse OR Featherstone Rovers.

Both can put in a good application hat will beat other SL clubs.

Both can go in Superleague.

#136 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

I can understand Fev fans wanting what's best for their club. But putting Fev in SL over Toulouse would be akin to putting the Newtown Jets in the NRL over Perth

Nope it's not going to work like that.

Toulouse will be considered against the French TV deal and civic and aerospace money they can bring to the comp and their importance to French International RL.

Featherstone will not be considered against the Pontefract network TV deal and the Featherstone town hall and Linpac money they can bring to the comp and their importance to English International RL.

Instead they will wave mr. Nahaboos money at the licensing commitee and provide newspaper clippings of reports showing Hudgell, O'Connor and Fulton don't want to know any more

#137 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

yeah but they wont. It will be commercial suicide for FR to gain a SL licence. They won't ever be successful, they will waste good money on achieving the un-achievable for a small parish town club, they will go broke trying.

Then SL will have to rush in another unsuitable Champ club to fill the gap between licencing periods due to convenience.

Do away with it. PnR is a relic of old amateur ideals where clubs were built on players from the local community. That is not the case anymore, get rid of it and move with the times

#138 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Because there are only a few clubs like Wire, Saints,Hull, Wakefield & Bradford who can be like the Leeds and Wigans at the moment.

The fact is the lower SL clubs have failed such that Rovers CAN be accomodated on the basis of fair play and a "turn".

But only if they are serious.

Cas are collapsing and nothing has happened at Wakeys ground and they don't spend full cap.

Featherstone say they are serious about spending full cap.

It's a gross assumption Rovers are a "small club" they are a club in a small place and hampered by neighbours, but if they can dominate their neighbours financially for long enough then the name featherstone like everton could equal a big club.

Leeds were bust 1996 and caddick rescued them. Imagine if caddick had rescued Hunslet instead and Leeds had gone ito such a debt they had to sell headingley etc.

Don't look at past events look at future possibilities.

What Fev bring to the table now is a full cap spend the most fundamental "minimum standard" of all.

I don't buy all the bluster beyond that, but if they have a rich man willing to invest in RL in the area when no such investment is being made at cas and wakey (yet)then Fev are a no brainer - in.

#139 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yeah but they wont. It will be commercial suicide for FR to gain a SL licence. They won't ever be successful, they will waste good money on achieving the un-achievable for a small parish town club, they will go broke trying.

Do not pre-judge events

All at Featherstone are hoping Newmarket never gets built and cas go bust.

That would open up serious possibilities........

#140 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

These are the things I don't get. I don't like the phrase 'they say'. Why not ensure that these deals are in place with the caveat that Toulouse must be in SL? Other things - will this sponsorship only benefit Toulouse? And, do we really want to be sponsored by a defence company?

Toulouse will not get big sponsorship deals signed without being in Superleague. The big companies do not want to sponsor second rate clubs. I do understand the logic of the licensing commitee asking Toulouse to prove such deals exist by perhaps providing letters of intent from their likely sponsors, maybe that will happen.

The money flowing into any SL club of course benefits that club in the short term. In the long term if it makes Toulouse a big club, and helps develop France as a serious international side it will benefit RL immensly.

What do you want - the embarrassing morgue of the exiles matches, or top class english and french pro's bashing hell out of each other??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users