• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#141 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Do not pre-judge events

All at Featherstone are hoping Newmarket never gets built and cas go bust.

That would open up serious possibilities........

Forgive me but you seem to take pleasure in unnecessarily extending debates.  I can't see people from Wakefield and Castleford abandoning their own sides to support Featherstone, just like the people in Featherstone despite being excluded from the top flight for the entirety of the Superleague era have not abandoned their club.

I'd also so that despite Featherstone Rovers having their fair share of navel gazers like any club, I'm yet to see anyone there wish other clubs harm.

Most people seem to accept that Glasshoughton is dead in the water, but that isn't necessarily so.  Newmarket seems to be progressing steadily.  Perhaps my old pal Terry M could share his thoughts; Terry do you want Newmarket to fail?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#142 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

The only way to see if Toulouse and Fev will succeed in SL is to let them in and see what happens.

#143 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Is this a trick question? Ah, maybe someone who grows up in Featherstone?

And if they grow up a few miles away from Fev?

#144 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Toulouse will not get big sponsorship deals signed without being in Superleague. The big companies do not want to sponsor second rate clubs. I do understand the logic of the licensing commitee asking Toulouse to prove such deals exist by perhaps providing letters of intent from their likely sponsors, maybe that will happen.

The money flowing into any SL club of course benefits that club in the short term. In the long term if it makes Toulouse a big club, and helps develop France as a serious international side it will benefit RL immensly.

What do you want - the embarrassing morgue of the exiles matches, or top class english and french pro's bashing hell out of each other??

I thought that bringing another French team into SL was all about raising the profile of SL and drawing major multinational sponsors. If they only sponsor one of the teams, I can't see that the rationale has truly been satisfied.

If the goal is to help the international game, then fair enough. However, would having just the two clubs really do that?

#145 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Do they need to believe? Newton Jets, Redcliffe Dolphins, Cessnock Goannas. They are all vibrant 2nd tier teams with decent followings. Their fans know they will never make the big time in the NRL, but that doesn't stop them. Fans just enjoy watching their local team, then have a favourite NRL team too.

Why can't Fev fans watch their team in the 2nd tier feeder league, then support a SL team like Leeds or Wakefield too?

I can hear the rebuttals now "goldcoaster, you don't understand. SL is not the NRL". And it never will be if clubs like Fev are a part of it unfortunately. Yes, it may not seem fair that things such as corporate potential, economic sustainability and catchment area play a bigger role in the make-up of the competition then on-field efforts, but that's sport in the 21st century.

Because the next generation of fans wouldn't be Fev fans who also support Wakey / Cas / Leeds. They'd be Wakey / Cas / Leeds fans who'd have some vague sympathy for Fev (their dad's team).

You can look at the histories of clubs such as Oldham to see how it can go badly wrong. They once played in the top league and had thousands of fans. Now they are no better than newcomers North Wales Crusaders.

Where did all the Oldham fans go?

I'd suggest that there are two major differences in England: a/ our supporters are more tribal and less keen on having a SL side b/ Fev / Oldham etc might well be their second love to begin with - their real love is Manchester United or Leeds United.

#146 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

yeah but they wont. It will be commercial suicide for FR to gain a SL licence. They won't ever be successful, they will waste good money on achieving the un-achievable for a small parish town club, they will go broke trying.

Then SL will have to rush in another unsuitable Champ club to fill the gap between licencing periods due to convenience.

Do away with it. PnR is a relic of old amateur ideals where clubs were built on players from the local community. That is not the case anymore, get rid of it and move with the times

commercial suicide how do you work that out, tell me what the current 14 clubs bring to super league because it certainly isn't sponsors and major tv deals jumping over each other to get signed up. Fev will bring no less and no more than any of the current teams in super league teams, unless you can show evidence what each of the teams bring to the table to back your facts up don't say it.

#147 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Where did all the Oldham fans go?

I'd suggest that there are two major differences in England: a/ our supporters are more tribal and less keen on having a SL side b/ Fev / Oldham etc might well be their second love to begin with - their real love is Manchester United or Leeds United.

I'd suggest that they simply found something else to do, and that they probably take games in on Sky.

I think your second point about soccer is pretty interesting, if you follow the likes of Lee Smith and Andy Kelly there's plenty of evidence that soccer plays a large part in the sporting cultural makeup of those that have made their living in our sport.  Look at Wakefield Trinity's chairman Andrew Glover, he'd not even seen a game of Rugby League three years ago despite being brought up in West Yorkshire and his first love is Huddersfield Town.

#148 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'd suggest that they simply found something else to do, and that they probably take games in on Sky.

I think your second point about soccer is pretty interesting, if you follow the likes of Lee Smith and Andy Kelly there's plenty of evidence that soccer plays a large part in the sporting cultural makeup of those that have made their living in our sport.  Look at Wakefield Trinity's chairman Andrew Glover, he'd not even seen a game of Rugby League three years ago despite being brought up in West Yorkshire and his first love is Huddersfield Town.

I think it was a similar story with Mo Lindsay. He wasn't that interested in the game and was a soccer fan until becoming involved with Wigan RLFC (or Wigan Football Club as they then were).

#149 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

And if they grow up a few miles away from Fev?

then if outside the catchment area, they are then not from Fev, come on, this is not rocket science!

#150 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

then if outside the catchment area, they are then not from Fev, come on, this is not rocket science!

And yet players from outside London e.g. Hemel frequently get included in the London total.

My brother-in-law is from Ponte, supports Cas but played for a Fev based side. If he had made it as a pro (his cousin did), would he be a Fev lad?

#151 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

commercial suicide how do you work that out, tell me what the current 14 clubs bring to super league because it certainly isn't sponsors and major tv deals jumping over each other to get signed up. Fev will bring no less and no more than any of the current teams in super league teams, unless you can show evidence what each of the teams bring to the table to back your facts up don't say it.

Fev bring far less than any exisitng SL club.

They bring a dilution of professional clubs on an already relatively small player pool.

They bring a smaller potential of new spectators and viewers due to its size and nearby competitors.

They bring a PT development team made up of existing players to supplement their contracts and not neccesarily development professionals.

#152 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

And yet players from outside London e.g. Hemel frequently get included in the London total.

My brother-in-law is from Ponte, supports Cas but played for a Fev based side. If he had made it as a pro (his cousin did), would he be a Fev lad?

ahh my point exactly, the player pool for London can stretch from Brighton to Northampton and Colchester to Swindon. Fev compete with Cas and Wakie in their immediate area and with much larger cities not much further away. Population in the area does not support two, let alone three SL clubs.

Once people accept that RL needs to grow not retract to be anything more than a provincial second rate sport in Europe then the game will have a decent chance to blossom

#153 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I think it was a similar story with Mo Lindsay. He wasn't that interested in the game and was a soccer fan until becoming involved with Wigan RLFC (or Wigan Football Club as they then were).

Lyndsays first moves into watching RL did not come at Wigan

#154 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

ahh my point exactly, the player pool for London can stretch from Brighton to Northampton and Colchester to Swindon. Fev compete with Cas and Wakie in their immediate area and with much larger cities not much further away. Population in the area does not support two, let alone three SL clubs.

Once people accept that RL needs to grow not retract to be anything more than a provincial second rate sport in Europe then the game will have a decent chance to blossom

Player pools can stretch as far as you like. Most clubs have Australian players after all.

The point was to what extent the statement that London produces more SL players than Fev is true without relying on contrived definitions of the Fev player pool (must have nothing whatsoever to do with Wakey or Cas) or London (can be anything up to Northampton down to Cornwall).

#155 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Lyndsays first moves into watching RL did not come at Wigan

Maybe so but he was a soccer man with a secondary interest in RL at that point.

#156 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Player pools can stretch as far as you like. Most clubs have Australian players after all.

The point was to what extent the statement that London produces more SL players than Fev is true without relying on contrived definitions of the Fev player pool (must have nothing whatsoever to do with Wakey or Cas) or London (can be anything up to Northampton down to Cornwall).

No, London have an influence on coaching at junior clubs throughout the London Junior League, so those clubs and the players from them will have an affinity and should they be good enough play in scholarships and academies at Broncos. Fev do not have that luxury.

The point was the number of players in SL now that have come through the academy and scholarship structures of Broncos compared to those of Fev.

#157 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Who'd have thought that London with it's population of around eight million people had more professional players than Featherstone (circa 15000).

#158 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Who'd have thought that London with it's population of around eight million people had more professional players than Featherstone (circa 15000).

i know right, and some people want to add a club with a population of 15000 to the SL. It is absolutely baffling

#159 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

No, London have an influence on coaching at junior clubs throughout the London Junior League, so those clubs and the players from them will have an affinity and should they be good enough play in scholarships and academies at Broncos. Fev do not have that luxury.

The point was the number of players in SL now that have come through the academy and scholarship structures of Broncos compared to those of Fev.

It's not much of a point to argue that London should remain a SL side because their academy has produced more SL players than a club that has never been a SL side. How would a Fev academy player play SL other than by leaving the Fev club altogether? 

#160 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

i know right, and some people want to add a club with a population of 15000 to the SL. It is absolutely baffling

No, we want to keep the belief that SL isn't a closed shop and the likes of Halifax / Fev / Sheffield / Leigh might play in it one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users