Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Knights v Leigh

05/05 3pm

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

just 'one of those days' I guess, we got thrashed at home by Sheffield, and away to Fax & Fev.
You guys beat Fev few weeks ago, you're obviously not relegation fodder.... thought we'd win, but not by the margin it was.

Budgie,

On that showing, even though we were poor I cannot understand how you got thrashed by Fax and the others, think you have a great pack, awesome 6&7' two huge centres and a scud missile in Penky on the bench, very good side indeed. Line speed was very quick and handling slick. Hope you play like that against all the teams around us, we need a few of em to get a similar pasting to help our points difference, will be crucial.
Posted Image

#62 Peter G.

Peter G.
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

We can't blame the ref today. We lost because we weren't strong enough, quick enough and there didn't seem to be any passion on the field. When we're spending most of the match going sideways or backwards it is highly unlikely we're going to win. Even though there were a couple of forward passes missed during the match, there was no need for the language I heard today, it was appauling. I was embarrassed to be a York fan at some points and when Leigh were breaking away so often it definately isn't the fault of the refs.

Well done Leigh, you were off your line quickly today and tackled well, I personally think we were lucky to score.

Got it in one there Calde.

Lets get one thing straight, YES the ref was poor today and missed a few " adjacent" Leigh passes, plus his 8 metres allowed the Leigh defence to quickly get in our faces. BUT, given the refs inability to count, why didn't the Knights defence do likewise?

Because we were too bluddy slow thats why!!

Where was the passion and commitment that was shown against Fev? Its beginning to look as though various injuries have taken their toll and badly weakened the resolve of our squad and I'm not so sure that D.R. is helping.

After the dross we've been served up away from home I was hoping to see another good home "match" today but came away very disappointed. Leigh are obviously a decent side but at times I thought we made them look like Warrington.

#63 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Got it in one there Calde.

Lets get one thing straight, YES the ref was poor today and missed a few " adjacent" Leigh passes, plus his 8 metres allowed the Leigh defence to quickly get in our faces. BUT, given the refs inability to count, why didn't the Knights defence do likewise?

Because we were too bluddy slow thats why!!

Where was the passion and commitment that was shown against Fev? Its beginning to look as though various injuries have taken their toll and badly weakened the resolve of our squad and I'm not so sure that D.R. is helping.

After the dross we've been served up away from home I was hoping to see another good home "match" today but came away very disappointed. Leigh are obviously a decent side but at times I thought we made them look like Warrington.

Leigh were vastly superior today.

Martin Ridyard ran the game as he always does against us and Ryan Brierley should still be at Cas ( at least ) but take six of our best players out through injury ( a la Fordy, Jas Golden, Sam Scott, Matt Nic, Jack Aldous and Jack Lee ( who wasnt fit )), add in a player who's head was all wrong because he wasnt expecting to play, an injury to our best player on the park and then a couple of players who wanted to be somewhere else and you get 4-52.

What sort of game would we have seen if 6 of Leigh's best players were missing ?

The ref didnt cost us the game but he was appalling - as bad as Clint Sharrad at Blackpool a few seasons ago. 

It was real coincidence that we ran an interview with Mark Aston on the programme who said that RL is becoming boring and lacking in entertainment and he blamed part of that on poor referees who fail to police the 10 metres - poor Tubby would have had a dickyfit if he'd seen Mr Broke ( and beyond mending ) and his 5 to 6 metres today !!

It was dreadfully disappointing today but it's move on again. GT learned a few more things today about DR and some of his players and he'll rejig, readjust and has a bit of breathing space league-wise before the next one when, with luck, he'll have some  troops who will have recovered.

#64 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Leigh were vastly superior today.
Martin Ridyard ran the game as he always does against us and Ryan Brierley should still be at Cas ( at least ) but take six of our best players out through injury ( a la Fordy, Jas Golden, Sam Scott, Matt Nic, Jack Aldous and Jack Lee ( who wasnt fit )), add in a player who's head was all wrong because he wasnt expecting to play, an injury to our best player on the park and then a couple of players who wanted to be somewhere else and you get 4-52.
What sort of game would we have seen if 6 of Leigh's best players were missing ?
The ref didnt cost us the game but he was appalling - as bad as Clint Sharrad at Blackpool a few seasons ago. 
It was real coincidence that we ran an interview with Mark Aston on the programme who said that RL is becoming boring and lacking in entertainment and he blamed part of that on poor referees who fail to police the 10 metres - poor Tubby would have had a dickyfit if he'd seen Mr Broke ( and beyond mending ) and his 5 to 6 metres today !!
It was dreadfully disappointing today but it's move on again. GT learned a few more things today about DR and some of his players and he'll rejig, readjust and has a bit of breathing space league-wise before the next one when, with luck, he'll have some  troops who will have recovered.

We did last week v Batley.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#65 paul

paul
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Got to agree leigh were best team to visit us this season,we were lucky to get anything on the board today.Got to look again at D-R because we are not getting a fair deal with Hull.Need to pick up some props with size & speed so we can have a go forward to help our playmakers,outherwise we are going to end up a relegation dog fight.

#66 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

We did last week v Batley.

Eh ?

Are you sure it was Leigh you watched and not Leigh East ........? :D

#67 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Eh ?

Are you sure it was Leigh you watched and not Leigh East ........? :D

Well Aspinwall,Coyle,Finnegan,Goulden,Maden,Penky and Pownall were missing v Batley last sunday.........Fairly sure none turned out for Leigh East but you might know differently?

#68 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Well Aspinwall,Coyle,Finnegan,Goulden,Maden,Penky and Pownall were missing v Batley last sunday.........Fairly sure none turned out for Leigh East but you might know differently?

Youll have had the pick of the county's nonsuperduperleaguers to replace them though.

#69 SuperYork

SuperYork
  • Coach
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Think we need to be looking at some new props, ones that drive the ball in hard, run on to it and break the line. What happened to prop that had an 8 game ban at the start of the season?
Need to get our passion and fight. But no need to press panic button just yet.

#70 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

'Well Aspinwall,Coyle,Finnegan,Goulden,Maden,Penky and Pownall were missing v Batley last sunday.........Fairly sure none turned out for Leigh East but you might know differently?'

Personal opinion, I know, but I was talking about 6 best players not your whole squad - IMO only Penky and possibly TG qualify from that lot. 

Edited by andyacko, 06 May 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#71 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

'Well Aspinwall,Coyle,Finnegan,Goulden,Maden,Penky and Pownall were missing v Batley last sunday.........Fairly sure none turned out for Leigh East but you might know differently?'

Personal opinion, I know, but I was talking about 6 best players not your whole squad - IMO only Penky and possibly TG qualify from that lot. 

Aspinwall was our big investment from Hull - waste of money so far imo

#72 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Personal opinion, I know, but I was talking about 6 best players not your whole squad - IMO only Penky and possibly TG qualify from that lot.

Aspinwall, Finnegan, Goulden, Maden, Penky and Pownall have made the starting 17 on most occasions barring injury. So they've been pretty much n the starting 17 all season.

#73 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

6 best players not your whole squad 

#74 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Think we need to be looking at some new props, ones that drive the ball in hard, run on to it and break the line. What happened to prop that had an 8 game ban at the start of the season?
Need to get our passion and fight. But no need to press panic button just yet.

I think we're saving the big guns for more winnable matches. We have more props, we have faster centres, we have a better fullback... we also have 3 really big home games in a row once they've had their jollies in Perpignan.

#75 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

I think we're saving the big guns for more winnable matches. We have more props, we have faster centres, we have a better fullback... we also have 3 really big home games in a row once they've had their jollies in Perpignan.

Have we signed some new players then and do they have more heart and desire?

#76 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Aspinwall was our big investment from Hull - waste of money so far imo

agreed, Penky not much better though.

Good luck to York for the rest of the season, got a mate who lives in Elvington, he follows your footie team, but goes to the odd Knights game.

All the best v Catalans, with all respect, maybe like us away to Wigan, payday....though I know your players will be FIRED UP.

#77 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Have we signed some new players then and do they have more heart and desire?

There are plenty on the books

Unrelated, I think people need to realise that Leigh should have hammered York. What happened was right. It has nothing to do with heart and everything to do with tbe fact they are the only proper championship club in Lancashire so they get the pick of lancs players. York gets the pick of Hull.
Also dr is a joke, we need to sack it off.

#78 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Got to agree with most of that, thought Jack Pickles & Aaron Lyons were the only real

positives from the game, Danny Nicklas tried & worked his wotsits off, but Browny had

another off day for me.

Can only add that Leigh are the best side I have seen down here this season.

So on to Perpignan & the next easy game....

#79 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Perhaps the South of France is a big factor in the mental attitude to the last couple of games,I for one would hate to pick up a injury and miss out on a nice little trip,but that's me being suggestive.

#80 ian c

ian c
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Just like to say it was my first visit to your stadium and I really enjoyed the day, went in the new pub Pear Tree Farm and had a carvery and it was very good. Anyway good luck for the rest of the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users