Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RL World - new editor

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Not sure if it has been announced here, but John Drake will no longer be editor of RLW and has been succeeded by Gareth Walker.

I'll reserve judgement on GW, but he seems to have gone down the same old route as many of the RL journos knocking around, telling the general public how bad things are in RL at every opportunity.

Will that mean JD won't be on here in future, would be a shame.

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

We want John!!!

We want John!!!

We want John!!!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

John said to someone on Twitter that he's taking over the revamp of TRL so I don't think he'll leave here that easily!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,293 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Unexpected.

I liked RLW before John got the gig but felt that he improved things.

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

John Drake is the best thing to happen to RLW. The whole look and feel of the magazine has improved tenfold during his tenure.

He can step back knowing he's done a great job.

Gareth will get to pick up a mag that really looks the part now and add his own journalistic edge. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

I should read the forum more before typing... deleted my own other thread...

John took RLW from a good but stale format into an unmissable monthly mag.  A big set of boots to fill and I assume a harder challenge in making t'interweb pay bills!

http://www.totalrl.c...3&featcat_id=49

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Blimey, I'm blushing now after reading this. :blush:

Thanks for the kind comments on the mag, much appreciated.

You won't be getting rid of me on here though, far from it. My new job is to develop TRL into something more than just a forum. Watch this space. I'll try not to break anything in the process!

Meanwhile, everybody rush out and buy this on Friday. It's certain to become a collector's item (in my mum's house at least).

main_rlw_JUNE2013.jpg

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

As I'm an RLW nerd, and no disrespect to Webby, I'm gonna look back over the past few years and tot up the clubs featured on the cover. Yes I'm that cool, but this is the first Widnes player I can remember in a long time, the last Bull I think was Iestyn Harris. Spread the love around a bit more! But anyway, I need to do the leg-work.

Oh and Webby, it'll also be a collectors item in Viking Warrior's house too, are the pages wipe clean? He'll certainly make a finish line anyway.

I do hope the new dude is as forthcoming on this 'ere board and is open to suggestions. Like not putting anything, like grass imagery, behind the text.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

You won't be getting rid of me on here though, far from it. My new job is to develop TRL into something more than just a forum. Watch this space. I'll try not to break anything in the process!

Meanwhile, everybody rush out and buy this on Friday. It's certain to become a collector's item (in my mum's house at least).

main_rlw_JUNE2013.jpg

You've certainly finished on an attractive cover shot!

#10 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

He has just said on FB he is staying on here to revamp toatalrl

Not sure if it has been announced here, but John Drake will no longer be editor of RLW and has been succeeded by Gareth Walker.

I'll reserve judgement on GW, but he seems to have gone down the same old route as many of the RL journos knocking around, telling the general public how bad things are in RL at every opportunity.

Will that mean JD won't be on here in future, would be a shame.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

He has just said on FB he is staying on here to revamp toatalrl

He also said it just four posts that way ^^^  :D

#12 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

5 hours time difference,just come on eating me brek

He also said it just four posts that way ^^^  :D

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

The magazine has grown in quality ad professionalism since the enjoyable nut clunky 'Open Rugby' days. John's taken it probably the biggest step forward during his tenure.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

It's an interesting challenge that's for sure. I think that twitter has by an large destroyed the forum element of this site as a place where rumours break first. It's a shame in a way but that's how it is. I'd love to see a proper mobile app from TRL that gave live scores accurately and reliably (unlike the Love Rugby League one) for all levels of the professional game, and that gave stories/news feeds/squad announcements for the professional leagues WITH an editorial opinion rather than simply regurgitated press releases. The issue with the LRL app is that it's patchy in terms of score accuracy, and when users link to a story on an i-phone then the format of said story doesn't fit on an iphone screen without scrolling.

There are plenty of places to read press releases, I'd hate TRL to become just another one of these. Simularly let's have some real editorial opinions; I thought on balance player W had a poor game because he did X and Y during the second half which resulted in Z happening.

I guess the challenge is having a site/place that isn't just a cost centre but a money maker. Good luck with that.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 01 May 2013 - 09:03 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

As I'm an RLW nerd, and no disrespect to Webby, I'm gonna look back over the past few years and tot up the clubs featured on the cover. Yes I'm that cool, but this is the first Widnes player I can remember in a long time, the last Bull I think was Iestyn Harris. Spread the love around a bit more! But anyway, I need to do the leg-work.

The proper leg work can wait but the last Bull or two;

Sam Burgess, October 2009

Iestyn Harris, July 2008.

No-one else will care, but considering it's supposed to be all things to all teams...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Oh and Webby, it'll also be a collectors item in Viking Warrior's house too, are the pages wipe clean? He'll certainly make a finish line anyway.

Lol

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Harry Edgar

Graham Clay

Tony Hannan

Tim Butcher

Richard dela Riviere

John Drake

Graeth Walker

A Fev Blog

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

The proper leg work can wait but the last Bull or two;

Sam Burgess, October 2009
Iestyn Harris, July 2008.

No-one else will care, but considering it's supposed to be all things to all teams...

It's a disgrace that Sir Brett K has never been on the front cover.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

You said that just before the previous 10 site crashes.

Good luck in your new role John.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

It's a disgrace that Sir Brett K has never been on the front cover.

It can't be coincidence you came over for that particular match. ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.