Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is Tony Smith right about the play offs?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

So once legitimate Leeds' expenses were deducted, what was Wakefield's reward for finishing in a playoff spot, at a guess the equivalent of a 4000 home gate.

Just to be clear, unless it has changed the proceeds from playoff games (after expenses) go to the RFL to go towards the prize money at the end of the season. All teams receive something based on their position, so there is still something to play for if you can't make the playoffs or just win one playoff match. As Wakefield were knocked out in the first round then as the lower ranked team compared to Huddersfield they finished in 8th place.

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Just to be clear, unless it has changed the proceeds from playoff games (after expenses) go to the RFL to go towards the prize money at the end of the season. All teams receive something based on their position, so there is still something to play for if you can't make the playoffs or just win one playoff match. As Wakefield were knocked out in the first round then as the lower ranked team compared to Huddersfield they finished in 8th place.

brooza, I think you're correct

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

I didn't know that.  I'd be interested to hear what the net benefit of Trinity finishing 8th and getting knocked out in the first playoff game was against coming in ninth.

The thing that stuck for me was that there seemed to be a very healthy crowd in at Headingley that evening for a marquee game, but the club with perhaps the most vocal chairman about how the game should be run for the benefit for the game of the whole only managed to attract/report and subsequently hand over receipts for an under ten thousand crowd, way under their average.  

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#24 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

If you have a 14 team division and no p&r you need more than 6 teams in the play offs otherwise there really would be a plethora of meaningless games towards the end of the season.

Play the 5v8 and 6v7 games as a mid week preliminary round and you'd have a real incentive to finish in the top 4, you'd avoid playing 3 games in a week.

Change to a 7 team play off with a preliminary 4v7 and 5v6 sudden death round and you'd effectively get back to the 5 team play off that rewards the team finishing first whilst still giving meaning to most games in the run in (at least for 1 of the teams involved).

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

If you have a 14 team division and no p&r you need more than 6 teams in the play offs otherwise there really would be a plethora of meaningless games towards the end of the season.

Play the 5v8 and 6v7 games as a mid week preliminary round and you'd have a real incentive to finish in the top 4, you'd avoid playing 3 games in a week.

Change to a 7 team play off with a preliminary 4v7 and 5v6 sudden death round and you'd effectively get back to the 5 team play off that rewards the team finishing first whilst still giving meaning to most games in the run in (at least for 1 of the teams involved).

Or 7 teams

Week 1:

Leaders get a bye

2v7

3v6

4v5

Week 2:

Leaders get club call!

Week 3:

Final

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

How did the relegation decider against the other playoff games though in terms of BARB figures and crowds?

Playoff 1 - Leeds v Wire - 10,508 - TV, 252k

Playoff 2 - Bradford v Salford - 8,611 - TV, 186k

Playoff 3 - Hull v Saints - 14,038 - TV 221k

Playoff 4 - Bradford v Warrington - 12,302 - TV 252k

Playoff 5 - Hull v Bradford - 16,087 - TV 208k

Grand Final - Saints v Hull - 72,582 = TV 349k

So whilst the Cas v Wakefield game rightly got a lot of attention in the two towns and RL media - the reality is that it wasn't as attractive as any of the playoff games to the general public.

#27 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Playoff 1 - Leeds v Wire - 10,508 - TV, 252k

Playoff 2 - Bradford v Salford - 8,611 - TV, 186k

Playoff 3 - Hull v Saints - 14,038 - TV 221k

Playoff 4 - Bradford v Warrington - 12,302 - TV 252k

Playoff 5 - Hull v Bradford - 16,087 - TV 208k

Grand Final - Saints v Hull - 72,582 = TV 349k

So whilst the Cas v Wakefield game rightly got a lot of attention in the two towns and RL media - the reality is that it wasn't as attractive as any of the playoff games to the general public.

Just to be clear, Wakefield is a city and not a town.

I watched Aston Villa versus Sunderland last night, there were over 40 thousand at Villa park on a Monday night with the game on television.  When I went to watch Villa earlier in the season against Southampton I doubt there were more than about 25 thousand there.  Like it not, relegation is interesting.

I take your point about it perhaps not being attractive to a wider audience, but I think the sample being used is too small to be illustrative of any pattern.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 30 April 2013 - 01:12 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Just to be clear, Wakefield is a city and not a town.

I watched Aston Villa versus Sunderland last night, there were over 40 thousand at Villa park on a Monday night with the game on television.  When I went to watch Villa earlier in the season against Southampton I doubt there were more than about 25 thousand there.  Like it not, relegation is interesting.

I take your point about it perhaps not being attractive to a wider audience, but I think the sample being used is too small to be illustrative of any pattern.

The sample was in response to a direct question.