Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rules or no rules

refs rules

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 darkrose

darkrose
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

As a Rugby League (Wakefield Trinity) supporter for 55 years obviously I've seen many changes in the game, and not all for the better. The main thing that bothers me about the game now is its obsession with speed and keeping the game moving, purely for the benefit of Sky's audiences, most of whom will be outside RL-playing areas and who don't care too much about the rules, as long as it's spectacular. The result is that I genuinely believe Rugby League must now be the most dishonest professional sport on earth, in that it is the only sport I know where its rules are routinely ignored by all involved. How many supporters know it is still a rule that the ball must be 'heeled' back at the play-the-ball, or that the ball must be put in the scrum in the tunnel formed by the two front rows? And if you're not too sure about the rules, good luck if you try to find them. I tracked them down after a long search, and e-mailed the RL headquarters for their comments on why referees (and touch judges) turn so many blind eyes, but got no reply. So I wrote a letter to Red Hall asking the same questions - but got no reply. Sad that a great game has sold its soul to its Sky paymasters, sad that nobody seems to care - players, coaches, officials, administrators. Or am I the only one who does care?

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

As a Rugby League (Wakefield Trinity) supporter for 55 years obviously I've seen many changes in the game, and not all for the better. The main thing that bothers me about the game now is its obsession with speed and keeping the game moving, purely for the benefit of Sky's audiences, most of whom will be outside RL-playing areas and who don't care too much about the rules, as long as it's spectacular. The result is that I genuinely believe Rugby League must now be the most dishonest professional sport on earth, in that it is the only sport I know where its rules are routinely ignored by all involved. How many supporters know it is still a rule that the ball must be 'heeled' back at the play-the-ball, or that the ball must be put in the scrum in the tunnel formed by the two front rows? And if you're not too sure about the rules, good luck if you try to find them. I tracked them down after a long search, and e-mailed the RL headquarters for their comments on why referees (and touch judges) turn so many blind eyes, but got no reply. So I wrote a letter to Red Hall asking the same questions - but got no reply. Sad that a great game has sold its soul to its Sky paymasters, sad that nobody seems to care - players, coaches, officials, administrators. Or am I the only one who does care?

You should send a message direct to Ian Smith at the RFL and you will get a response - ian.smith@rfl.uk.com

Edited by Keith T, 29 April 2013 - 04:00 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I went to the RFL website, clicked "The RFL" at the top and then clicked "Rules".

Seems simple enough.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rules

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Of course in the good old days of unlimited tackles etc,the players,refs,touch judges,etc were as honest as the day is long.Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

"Rugby League must now be the most dishonest professional sport on earth"  

What a bizarre yet somehow entertaining first post. What was your previous forum identity? 

#6 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

No RL is not the most dishonest. Please lets not start beating up our sport again.

Look at football (I try not to if can help it!) - never take free kicks from right spot, feign injury or dive routinely, gang up on the ref, sneak back towards the kicker after being moved back by ref for free kicks - there are probably more.

Cricket - ball tampering, claiming catches when ball had bounced, match fixing, batsmen getting in the way of run out attempts and using foul language to opponents - all against the rules and spirit of the game.

And as for Rugby Union - the rules are so arcane around scums they teams get away with any cheat they can - ball feeding, pushing early, not binding right + pulling over mauls / killing the opponents ball in rucks if the ref cant see + Bloodgate scandal! - it goes on and on ... all cheating.

So RL is no worse than other team sports is it?

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

To suggest RL is the most dishonest sport on Earth, when we have multi millionaire footballers diving all over the place in an effort to get an unfair advantage, is absurd.

Certainly our officials seem to have a disregard for the forward pass rule but, aside from that, we have a terrific sport with not a great deal wrong with it.

(Unless you read RL forums that its... :rolleyes: )

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#8 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

No!

Simples!

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#9 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think one of the most dispicable things soccer players do is pick the ball up when they ate fouled but before the ref has blown the whistle. It should be handball and automatic yellow card.

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

To suggest RL is the most dishonest sport on Earth, when we have multi millionaire footballers diving all over the place in an effort to get an unfair advantage, is absurd.

Certainly our officials seem to have a disregard for the forward pass rule but, aside from that, we have a terrific sport with not a great deal wrong with it.

(Unless you read RL forums that its... :rolleyes: )

I thought we'd all agreed that only applied to certain clubs :ph34r:  or have i missed something :wacko: ? Again? ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#11 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Sorry darkrose that little phrase "The most dishonest professional sport on earth" has sort of distorted your post. We are far from being the worst
Cycling, Soccer, Cricket, Boxing, Weight lifting, Golf, Wrestling, Athletics, Horse Racing, Dog racing, Rugby Union, all of them have had major cheating scandals.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#12 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

And if you're not too sure about the rules, good luck if you try to find them.

Just to be, like, really clear

http://www.therfl.co...s/official_laws
http://www.barla.org...ayers/Rules.htm
http://www.calderdal...k/LawsoftheGame
http://www.leedsrugb....com/rules.html
http://www.leighrlrs.../page.asp?id=17
http://www.angelfire...s/rulebook.html
http://widnesrlrefer...info/4570866338
http://www.rlef.eu.com/rlef/laws
http://www.rlif.com/...aws_regulations
http://www.nrl.com/A...33/Default.aspx
http://www.nzrl.co.n...f-the-game.aspx

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Good to see the OP has made RL Meltdown.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#14 darkrose

darkrose
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Ee, there's nowt like a bit of a barney. Actually, my point about RL being dishonest has been misinterpreted by a few. I'm not talking about players sneakily trying to get an unfair advantage by cynically conning the ref/umpire (diving, ball tampering, appealing for every little thing etc.), and I'm certainly not saying the players are dishonest, what I am saying is that I don't know of another sport where the rules are routinely and deliberately ignored by the officials, purely to keep the game moving. Let's face it, if the ref blew every time a player played the ball illegally, or fed the scrum illegally, or passed the ball forward (does any other sport have a rule as barmy as the 'momentum' rule?), we wouldn't have a game. Obviously, in any sport where the stakes are high some players will do their best to gain unfair advantages, but they don't usually do it with the referee's help. That's all I'm saying folks.

#15 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

As much as it's talked about as far as I'm aware there is no such rule as the momentum rule.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

As much as it's talked about as far as I'm aware there is no such rule as the momentum rule.

Don't mention the war....

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#17 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,810 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

Ee, there's nowt like a bit of a barney. Actually, my point about RL being dishonest has been misinterpreted by a few. I'm not talking about players sneakily trying to get an unfair advantage by cynically conning the ref/umpire (diving, ball tampering, appealing for every little thing etc.), and I'm certainly not saying the players are dishonest, what I am saying is that I don't know of another sport where the rules are routinely and deliberately ignored by the officials, purely to keep the game moving. Let's face it, if the ref blew every time a player played the ball illegally, or fed the scrum illegally, or passed the ball forward (does any other sport have a rule as barmy as the 'momentum' rule?), we wouldn't have a game. Obviously, in any sport where the stakes are high some players will do their best to gain unfair advantages, but they don't usually do it with the referee's help. That's all I'm saying folks.

The fact you haven't seen the laws of the game makes it difficult for you to be able to tell others what they actually are!

The fact that you think the ball "must" be heeled back and the ball is to be fed in the tunnel formed by the front rowers demonstrates that your opinion isn't based on the actual laws of the game, but misinterpretations you've made of them.

RL officials aren't the most dishonest. RL fans are just the least knowledgable of the rules!
Posted Image

#18 brooza

brooza
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

The fact you haven't seen the laws of the game makes it difficult for you to be able to tell others what they actually are!

The fact that you think the ball "must" be heeled back and the ball is to be fed in the tunnel formed by the front rowers demonstrates that your opinion isn't based on the actual laws of the game, but misinterpretations you've made of them.

RL officials aren't the most dishonest. RL fans are just the least knowledgable of the rules!

To be fair,

Play with foot (e) When the ball touches the ground it must be heeled (i.e. backwards) by the tackled player. The ball must not be kicked or heeled by the player marking him. The ball is in play when it has been played backward.

Put-in or Feeding the Scrum 6. (a) The ball shall be put into the scrum from the Referee’s side by holding it in a horizontal position with a point in each hand and rolling it along the ground into the tunnel formed by the opposing front row forwards.

Edited by brooza, 30 April 2013 - 08:51 AM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

I read an interesting post on the www.casforum.co.uk, which can at times be a source of much mirth as it's a tad parochial as you would expect.  I have to say I thought it was a simple but well considered one on the concept of referees cheating.

Thing is I've been watching the game for over 50 years and if the refs were working to a script it's amazing that not a single one of them has spilled the beans after retiring

The game that I know and love has always been played to and beyond the limit of the laws by the players.  I think that the quality of the referees in our game, and the sheer physicality has kept the silliness that we see in soccer at bay, but I do perceive that there has been an increase in dissent and backchat which I'd like to see sorted out.  It always makes me laugh when I'm told what a role model Kevin Sinfield is, he nearly took off Makinson's head last year, and he constantly moans and whines at the officials.  In short he's a professional.

Give the refs a break.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#20 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

(does any other sport have a rule as barmy as the 'momentum' rule?)

Just to be clear, are you saying other sports do not obey the laws of physics?

The problem with rugby league is not that the laws are ignored, just that they are very badly documented.

Over the game's entire history it has constantly evolved and changed, banning shoulder charges and feeding the scrum being just two of many examples. But for some reason the laws have been updated to include the former, while the latter is called an interpretation and only written in memos that are distributed then lose.

But everyone who follows the game knows how it is interpreted, and so long as it is done so consistently then it cannot be dishonest, unfair, or "with the referee's help". It is just bad paperwork.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users