Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mike Cooper signed by St George Illawara

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Will start next season.

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/22350817

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Good luck to him. Be interesting to see how these return agreements work in practice. If someone does a Currier, and goes really well, they'll want to stay - would the SL club enforce the clause in those circumstances? If someone doesn't make the grade the SL club may get a player they no longer want or need.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Good for the lad, a long held ambition comes to the fore.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Good luck to him, since I live nr the Dragons ground here in Kogarah i'll see him in action first hand. Not sure how he'll go, think he's very average in SL, thought a team like the dragons would have set bar higher and gone for likes of Hill instead, or Walmsley at Saints - esp since Salary cap increase again next yr

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#6 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Good luck to him, since I live nr the Dragons ground here in Kogarah i'll see him in action first hand. Not sure how he'll go, think he's very average in SL, thought a team like the dragons would have set bar higher and gone for likes of Hill instead, or Walmsley at Saints - esp since Salary cap increase again next yr

You'll be seeing a solid if unspectacular performer who won't let anyone down (apart from the occasional butter-fingers). The NRL could well be the making of him, but even if he doesn't improve hugely then St George will be getting a good squad member for not very much money (in their own words).

If St George went after the likes of Chris Hill, they'd have a real battle on their hands and would have to pay a transfer fee too.

I wish Mike every bit of luck on his adventure, he's been to hell and back with his home town club and his own health and that shows great resilience and determination.

He's no Adrian Morley, but he'll do ok and hopefully come back to us with even more to offer.

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

One of our best performers in the pack this season. Shame to see him go but best of luck to him. Any Wire fans know of any Warrington-born players to go down under besides Bobby Fulton?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Good luck to him, since I live nr the Dragons ground here in Kogarah i'll see him in action first hand.

I like where I live but must admit that reading this made me feel a little bit jealous. Ever since reading the marvellous book "Never Again" - all about St George's record-breaking run of consecutive premierships - I've had a yearning to live in Kogarah...

As for the signing of Mike Cooper, I'm pleased for him but a little bit surprised too. He's a decent, hard-working, committed player but unlikely to make the impact of the likes of Morley, Graham or Burgess.

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

One of our best performers in the pack this season. Shame to see him go but best of luck to him. Any Wire fans know of any Warrington-born players to go down under besides Bobby Fulton?

Ooh, me sir, me! Ian Sibbit, I think.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Ooh, me sir, me! Ian Sibbit, I think.

I thought he was born in Wigan?

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think certain forwards just go well in Oz. We have seen very good NRL forwards come over here and do nothing, and most have been surprised by the way Luke and George Burgess have gone over there. 

I actually think Cooper will do a good job. He makes a couple of mistakes, high tackles etc. but if he can calm these down he can be very good over there.

I'm enjoying some of the NRL this year and with a few more British players there next year it should get even better.

Good luck Mike!

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Good luck to the lad, if only we produced as many three quarters and half backs as we do props and back rowers that the nrl clubs are interested in.

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

I like where I live but must admit that reading this made me feel a little bit jealous. Ever since reading the marvellous book "Never Again" - all about St George's record-breaking run of consecutive premierships - I've had a yearning to live in Kogarah...

As for the signing of Mike Cooper, I'm pleased for him but a little bit surprised too. He's a decent, hard-working, committed player but unlikely to make the impact of the likes of Morley, Graham or Burgess.

Maybe,just maybe,St. George want a decent ,hard working forward.Why does he have to make an impact like said players.They have obviously seen something they like about him.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#14 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Maybe,just maybe,St. George want a decent ,hard working forward.Why does he have to make an impact like said players.They have obviously seen something they like about him.

I don't disagree with any of that - there's nothing wrong with being a decent, hard-working player in Sydney or anywhere else.

I remain surprised by his signature, that's all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users